ADVERTISEMENT

Fundraiser - RU Riot Squad to Virginia Tech!

RutgersRiotSquad

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2022
Hello Rutgers University Alumni and Supporters,

I hope this message finds you all well. I am posting here to request financial support for an upcoming trip to support the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football team as we plan on ruining the “White Effect” on September 21st in Blacksburg, VA.

In the past we have turned to the boards for support to create our core memory of a trip for fourteen students to Indiana University to watch the Scarlet Knights become bowl eligible, as well as the notorious fifty person trip to the 19 point Rutgers comeback in State College.

This trip’s goal is to bring thirty executive board, committee, and general body Riot Squad members to Lane Stadium to give our Scarlet Knights the unparalleled support they deserve as well as build upon the sense of community and pride associated with our great university.

Transportation:
We plan on bringing eight cars full of students to Blacksburg leaving at various times throughout the day on Friday, September 20, due to classes, work, the career fair, etc. Additionally, the “unc” of the Riot Squad, @aleccr12, who is covering the game, will provide transportation by road again (in his mom van that seats seven!).

Accommodation:
We have booked an Airbnb cabin just outside Blacksburg, VA which we will stay on Friday and Saturday night.

Estimated Budget:
Our preliminary budget for the trip is as follows:

Super Bowl Box Fundraiser: $975
Student Trip Fee: $750
Total Raised: $1725

Transportation:
Gas Expenses: $600

Accommodation:
Airbnb for 30 in Blacksburg: $1,960

Miscellaneous/Overhead: $200

Total Estimated Trip Cost: $2,760

Total Requested Funds: $1,035

In return for your generous support, we plan to recognize all donors as sponsors for the trip. This recognition will include acknowledgment and posts on our social media platforms, and gratitude expressed at any related events.

We believe that this trip will be a fantastic opportunity to strengthen the student community and spirit here at Rutgers and provide our students with a memorable and unique experience. We appreciate your consideration of our funding request and look forward to the possibility of making this trip a reality for as many students as possible with your support.

If you are interested in donating, please Venmo @brentisagamer with the subject line “Virginia Tech Donation.” Every donation will get us miles closer to Blacksburg! If you have any ideas or questions on how to make this the best trip possible for us or would like to submit a donation another way, please contact myself at 917-881-6889 or at tsl57@scarletmail.rutgers.edu.

Thank you for your time and consideration and Go RU!

Tyler Levy
Rutgers Riot Squad President

When I wanted to go to spring break in Ft Lauderdale or an away game, i worked a part time job in addition to going to practice every day. See below for assistance

Great advice Newell. I had planned on a similar post but didn't want to ruffle feathers. I'm going to VT also but have had it planned all year and have been working extra shifts and tightening the belt to make the trip happen. What ever happened to good old hard work and saving?..

Reactions: newell138
These kids go above and beyond when it comes to their support for ALL of our athletic teams. Asking for a little help, to travel to these games? I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it and neither should anybody else.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

…. From a guy who worked 5-6 restaurant shifts a week during his 2 1/2 years at Rutgers Annette liquor stores. The summers and winter breaks his first 3-years of college.

Last edited:
These kids go above and beyond when it comes to their support for ALL of our athletic teams. Asking for a little help, to travel to these games? I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it and neither should anybody else.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

don't have a problem, i guess its the times we live in. We all did the same when we were students. I worked over Christmas break and also checked ID's at the RAC during school, although my grandfather would send me a $20 each month so I guess i did take some handouts.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
don't have a problem, i guess its the times we live in. We all did the same when we were students. I worked over Christmas break and also checked ID's at the RAC during school, although my grandfather would send me a $20 each month so I guess i did take some handouts.
The year I took off from college, and lived in Tampa, we went to Daytona spring break three weekends in a row. By the 2nd weekend we had figured out how to check IDs and collect cover charges at the back of this one giant hotel bar. Then we got caught and kicked out of the hotel, which really sucked being that was only Friday afternoon of the third weekend lolol!!! But it pretty much covered our expenses, the entire second weekend and traveling there and back the third weekend.

The year I took off from college, and lived in Tampa, we went to Daytona spring break three weekends in a row. By the 2nd weekend we had figured out how to check IDs and collect cover charges at the back of this one giant hotel bar. Then we got caught and kicked out of the hotel, which really sucked being that was only Friday afternoon of the third weekend lolol!!! But it pretty much covered our expenses, the entire second weekend and traveling there and back the third weekend.
Scammer

Reactions: RutgersWill
People should, of course, do what they want regarding donations. But I’m wondering - and I don’t know the answer so I’m only asking, not making a statement here - what a year at RU cost students back when they attended versus today. It might be a lot harder to make ends meet for self-funding students today. But again, I don’t really know.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
My only problem is it's not transparent. With say, a gofundme, everyone can see the goal and how much was contributed. This is just some person we don't know asking for money. Who knows what the money will really be used for.

I also worked many jobs during my RU career to get through and to get by which infringed upon my studies and sleep. Would have loved to go to an away game back then if I could!

Thoughtful and respectful request with line item "accounting" and their school spirit is next level.

I just donated. Be safe, enjoy the trip, and thank you for representing RU so well!

My only problem is it's not transparent. With say, a gofundme, everyone can see the goal and how much was contributed. This is just some person we don't know asking for money. Who knows what the money will really be used for.
I'm sorry....are you reading the SAME OP that the rest of us are reading? I'd say it's beyond clear as to "what the money will be used for." IT'S TO HELP DEFRAY THE COSTS OF 30 KIDS GOING TO BLACKSBURG....with....LITERALLY....line items lol!!!

All I know is tuition back when I attended Rutgers in the late Sixties/early Seventies was $200 a semester.
And I can't figure why it has increased so dramatically for New Jersey's state university since then. Pay checks and the cost of living haven't increased at a similar rate. Why has Rutgers tuition become so unaffordable for kids today ?

Reactions: BossNJ
I'm sorry....are you reading the SAME OP that the rest of us are reading? I'd say it's beyond clear as to "what the money will be used for." IT'S TO HELP DEFRAY THE COSTS OF 30 KIDS GOING TO BLACKSBURG....with....LITERALLY....line items lol!!!
So you know Venmo? The person who posted the message? The area code is NY.

I'm sure you donate to other causes and charities.. who knows where all that money really goes. This one seems pretty clear. Just have a little faith! 🙂

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
All I know is tuition back when I attended Rutgers in the late Sixties/early Seventies was $200 a semester.
And I can't figure why it has increased so dramatically for New Jersey's state university since then. Pay checks and the cost of living haven't increased at a similar rate. Why has Rutgers tuition become so unaffordable for kids today ?

minimum wage was also $2 an hour, its $16 now and most places are so desperate for help they will pay $18-20

To be totally transparent we have raised $860 of our $1,035 total goal!
As for the money being used we have done three successful fundraisers sending us to Penn State, Indiana, and Super Bowl Boxes for this Virginia Tech Trip on the Rivals Boards. You can watch the videos below to see what it has gone to support:

- Frank
Rutgers Riot Squad Social Chair

minimum wage was also $2 an hour, its $16 now and most places are so desperate for help they will pay $18-20
OK
So, if my math isn't failing me, tuition if it matched the increase in the minimum wage would be about $1,600 a semester.
Is that what it's near today ? If so, my apologies for perceiving a problem that doesn't exist.

To be totally transparent we have raised $860 of our $1,035 total goal!
As for the money being used we have done three successful fundraisers sending us to Penn State, Indiana, and Super Bowl Boxes for this Virginia Tech Trip on the Rivals Boards. You can watch the videos below to see what it has gone to support:

- Frank
Rutgers Riot Squad Social Chair
Thanks! One can never bee too careful :-)

Reactions: RutgersRiotSquad
Do you fundraise all year? Or was this only announced a couple of days ago?

My advice would be to have a general football travel fund. Easier to ask one time for larger sums than it is to ask 5-6 times for each away game.

Do you fundraise all year? Or was this only announced a couple of days ago?

My advice would be to have a general football travel fund. Easier to ask one time for larger sums than it is to ask 5-6 times for each away game.
Every year when the schedule comes out for the next year we try to identify trips that would be manageable and fun to bring as many students as possible to. This year's big trip is Virginia Tech as it is highly sought after game that's fairly drivable compared to B1G country (Nebraska, USC, Michigan State). We also will be going to Maryland later on in the year, which will be funded by the athletic department. With that noted as well as previous fundraisers for this trip, we should be all set for the rest of the season!

OK
So, if my math isn't failing me, tuition if it matched the increase in the minimum wage would be about $1,600 a semester.
Is that what it's near today ? If so, my apologies for perceiving a problem that doesn't exist.
Actually, I just checked and the minimum wage in New Jersey is currently a little bit over $15 per hour.
So instead of $1,600 per semester it would be $1,500 if it in fact mirrored the increases in the minimum wage.

Actually, I just checked and the minimum wage in New Jersey is currently a little bit over $15 per hour.
So instead of $1,600 per semester it would be $1,500 if it in fact mirrored the increases in the minimum wage.
So, if 30 students eached worked an 8-hour day on on a weekend at minimum wage that would come to $3600.. take, 1/3rd off for taxes and that's $2400.

I love the Riot Squad and the whole idea and spirit behind it. I hope the Squad grows in size . It’d be great if something like all the Greeks on campus had to have a presence as well.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I sent some $$ via Venmo to help out last week when this post was first made.

Never got a thank you (except the generic one posted here). Not that I was doing it because I expected a thank you, but you would think the person who received the donation would have at least let me know they received it and appreciated it.

Just a heads up, as someone who has tried organizing things like this, a thank you goes a long way in generating repeat donors. I am sure there will people who will not donate again to something like this just because their donation was not acknowledged.

Wanted to bring this up so that on future fundraising efforts like this, you at least give donors a thank you or a trip report etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT