ADVERTISEMENT

Game day to Bloomimgton

Every team has injuries. Why did Greg say in the summer we finally have depth to compete? Why don’t we still have the depth we need, to win games we should, in year 5?

Wisconsin was without their starting qb and starting rb. And they didn’t miss a beat. I get we have injuries..but that’s not an excuse.
You are glossing over why the defense has been bad.
Read several of @gef21 's posts. And maybe Greg and the coaches thought the depth was there, but you really don't know until that depth is tested in game situations. I'm not making excuses, but just laying out the situation. Now, fair questions to be asked are (1) why are there so many injuries in the past two seasons--this sounds like there may be a strength and conditioning problem (2) in year 5, what are the coaches and players doing wrong that 2's and the 3's cannot at least be serviceable and play like they did against Wisconsin and UCLA. In the first half against UCLA, the tackling was absolutely horrific.

Reactions: Lerxst72
You are glossing over why the defense has been bad.
Read several of @gef21 's posts. And maybe Greg and the coaches thought the depth was there, but you really don't know until that depth is tested in game situations. I'm not making excuses, but just laying out the situation. Now, fair questions to be asked are (1) why are there so many injuries in the past two seasons--this sounds like there may be a strength and conditioning problem (2) in year 5, what are the coaches and players doing wrong that 2's and the 3's cannot at least be serviceable and play like they did against Wisconsin and UCLA. In the first half against UCLA, the tackling was absolutely horrific.
Umm, we were on the low side with injuries last year. And many of the recent injuries have nothing to do with the S&C program. Just the violent nature of the game.

As for the 2's & 3's, look at the scholarship chart. There's a clear gap in the roster. Then go look at the commit list for those two years and it will be obvious why we are where we are.

Umm, we were on the low side with injuries last year. And many of the recent injuries have nothing to do with the S&C program. Just the violent nature of the game.

As for the 2's & 3's, look at the scholarship chart. There's a clear gap in the roster. Then go look at the commit list for those two years and it will be obvious why we are where we are.
I would argue our injuries have to do with mobility and flexibility with the amount of ligament and tendon issues we have had.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You don’t think he spread that much around and millions more to keep his ‘loaded’ team intact ? Please. Indiana is doing it with FCS recruits who came with Cignetti
Have you looked at the kids he brought in? He brought in some highly, highly coveted players.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
What about Neal brown? Yah, another meh hire who’s not too exciting. Yet he has wins against 2 ranked teams. Something Schiano 2.0 has yet to do

I use Indiana coach as an example that no..it’s not impossible to need only a year to turn a team around, it’s a new era of college football and thinking a rebuild has to take 6 years is false,
Brown is horrendous.

Have you looked at the kids he brought in? He brought in some highly, highly coveted players.
I know that many were not FBS recruits and that Schiano wouldn't be undefeated with them. I also know that the difference between the 56 IU scored on Nebraska and the 7 we did isn't due to talent gap, windy weather, road game, etc. It's 100% the HC and philosophy.

Did you know their backup QB led 4 of the 8 TD drives ? If you don't realize every game were on the wrong side of a significant coaching mismatch, you don't know nearly as much as you claim.

I know that many were not FBS recruits and that Schiano wouldn't be undefeated with them. I also know that the difference between the 56 IU scored on Nebraska and the 7 we did isn't due to talent gap, windy weather, road game, etc. It's 100% the HC and philosophy.

Did you know their backup QB led 4 of the 8 TD drives ? If you don't realize every game were on the wrong side of a significant coaching mismatch, you don't know nearly as much as you claim.
I believe we are stuck in some old ways, especially in regards to how we attack space and how we attack the off-season. I do believe we can be successful.

My main point, and largest criticism, is that our 2021 and 2022 classes were not great, and we either did not or could not address those issues in the portal. I believe the staff hoped we would stay healthy, and did not prepare for potential issues if we lost those players.

To me the largest issue is not preparing for the major what ifs, that I believe all coaches need to do.

What about Neal brown? Yah, another meh hire who’s not too exciting. Yet he has wins against 2 ranked teams. Something Schiano 2.0 has yet to do

I use Indiana coach as an example that no..it’s not impossible to need only a year to turn a team around, it’s a new era of college football and thinking a rebuild has to take 6 years is false,
Neal Brown? Is this a joke?

Well, he would be a good fit for Rutgers!

I know that many were not FBS recruits and that Schiano wouldn't be even close to undefeated with them. I also know that the difference between the 56 IU scored on Nebraska and the 7 we did isn't due to talent gap, windy weather, road game, etc. It's 100% the HC and philosophy.

I believe we are stuck in some old ways, especially in regards to how we attack space and how we attack the off-season. I do believe we can be successful.

My main point, and largest criticism, is that our 2021 and 2022 classes were not great, and we either did not or could not address those issues in the portal. I believe the staff hoped we would stay healthy, and did not prepare for potential issues if we lost those players.

To me the largest issue is not preparing for the major what ifs, that I believe all coaches need to do.
Ok, I agree with most of that. And everything you note is Schiano’s failure.

I think the largest issue is philosophy, which causes all the rest. Lack of talent on offense, especially at QB, lack of depth to overcome the ‘what ifs’, misspending NIL, etc.

It’s no coincidence that OC and QB are nobodies from Minnesota who play the same stale philosophy. He certaintly had other options but he wanted these two from a 1940 draft board.

His philosophy is simply wrong for the modern game and that sacrifices everything.

Last edited:
Ok, I agree with most of that. And everything you note is Schiano’s failure.

I think the largest issue is philosophy, which causes all the rest. Lack of talent on offense, especially at QB, lack of depth to overcome the ‘what ifs’, misspending NIL, etc.

It’s no coincidence that OC and QB are nobodies from Minnesota who play the same stale philosophy. He certaintly had other options but he wanted these two from a 1940 draft board.

His philosophy is simply wrong for the modern game and that sacrifices everything.
I honestly think if we ran a multiple offense, get a fullback on the roster, and truly ran what we saw we want our identity to be, we would have success. We say we want to be a punch you in the mouth team, but we do not run systems to play like that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Rourke was lightly recruited by BYU, WF and Vandy when he went into the portal. I read that in an article. For the others, I don't know.

I never complain about any player coming or recruited here cause I know good players come from anywhere. Never say anything about Flood's, Ash's, Schiano's recruits...I just take it as you get who you get and it's up to them to make it go

But I'll say this, I think there would have been at least some uproar if not more about so many players coming from JMU, WF and other kinds of similar programs...comments like junior league or B-league, won't be good enough in the B10 etc..cause I've seen similar in the past here. I mean even going 6-0, most didn't trust the team as anything whoop dee do saying who have they beat, which was fair but now they beat Nebraska badly and it's like oh man they have all these great players. Another obstacle for them now with Rourke out indefinitely and the back up taking over, we'll see how they do.

I honestly think if we ran a multiple offense, get a fullback on the roster, and truly ran what we saw we want our identity to be, we would have success. We say we want to be a punch you in the mouth team, but we do not run systems to play like that.
Here I disagree, because the conference is stacked with better talent for that. Maybe sure, we'd beat UCLA, Northwestern etc. doing that. But against the better teams we need to do something they aren't always going to be better at: passing. Look at how Indiana boatraced Nebraska.

Reactions: gef21
Here I disagree, because the conference is stacked with better talent for that. Maybe sure, we'd beat UCLA, Northwestern etc. doing that. But against the better teams we need to do something they aren't always going to be better at: passing. Look at how Indiana boatraced Nebraska.
I did not write my thoughts correctly. I think our message doesnt match what we run. What I should have said is we need to change our message or change what we run. We act like we want to be a blue collar punch you in the mouth team, but we do not play like that.

If that makes sense.

IU can throw but they ran the ball well on them. Like 5-6 rushing TDs iirc and Nebraska hadn’t let one up until this game. They ran for 215yds on Nebraska.

I’m not a big fan of ball control keep away offense but I’ll say this, the clock rule changes in the last couple years make it more effective than it was in the past.

I did not write my thoughts correctly. I think our message doesnt match what we run. What I should have said is we need to change our message or change what we run. We act like we want to be a blue collar punch you in the mouth team, but we do not play like that.

If that makes sense.
yes, I think those two things are the same. We can't continue to do what we're doing both in playcalling related recruiting and compete in the conference. Philosophy fail.

A real lot has has changed-
Lost: Bailey, Lewis, Powell barely played, both TEs, Sam Brown, Felter (one of our best OL) receivers are hobbled.

That is a big chunk of talent. If those players were playing and healthy, we may have beaten Nebraska and UCLA. Close losses to close wins change 4-3 to 5-1. Not sure if that gets RU ranked, but the picture changes from doom and gloom to something else someone would complain about.
For you to say nothing has changed, you are playing a game or in denial.
yet we put up one of our best offensive performances of the season on Sat. against an FBS team.

Can one of our Fan Board referees do me a favor and publish that list of donations required to be a true fan or knowledgeable fan or critique qualified fan here? Please list in Years of Giving, Total amount and annual amount just so I know what the levels are. TIA.

Also if you could post exactly how much NIL I need to give to get a kick returned? Or a screen pass thrown or 6 defenders on the line for a 4th and 1? That would also be helpful.

• Haha
Can one of our Fan Board referees do me a favor and publish that list of donations required to be a true fan or knowledgeable fan or critique qualified fan here? Please list in Years of Giving, Total amount and annual amount just so I know what the levels are. TIA.

Also if you could post exactly how much NIL I need to give to get a kick returned? Or a screen pass thrown or 6 defenders on the line for a 4th and 1? That would also be helpful.
In Joe Nolan's Voice: "Anddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd this kick return was sponsored by the loudmouth on the Knight Report free message board who said he donates a lot to NIL."

Me/You?

"Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd this fair catch is brought to you by the cheapskates Knight Shift and DennisHajekRC84, who, according to said board loudmouth, do not give nearly enough to NIL." 😜

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Indiana is looking good this year, the ones that always find ways to put Rutgers down have a new program to tout and imply Rutgers sucks.
Good job .
I'm glad for Indiana and hope they continue winning , also still have hope for Rutgers to make a bowl this year

In Joe Nolan's Voice: "Anddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd this kick return was sponsored by the loudmouth on the Knight Report free message board who said he donates a lot to NIL."

Me/You?

"Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd this fair catch is brought to you by the cheapskates Knight Shift and DennisHajekRC84, who, according to said board loudmouth, do not give nearly enough to NIL." 😜
Funny.. very good lol.
I'm just wondering if I take my 4 figure annual donation and convert it to NIL does it give me license to complain about poor coaching?

Just want to know the current NIL era board rules for commentary on things. Perhaps we could find a way to validate and have folks donation levels and priority points listed under their handles.

In all seriousness..I'm kinda tired of the whole NIL discussion when Rutgers refuses to come up with any creative way to convert fan donations to NIL now that we live in the $90million + (?) B1G revenue world.

And I've got an even better personal story I can PM you about with regard to the schools responsiveness (or lack there of) to significant but creative financial donation proposals. Radio silence is the perfect title to something I sent back in early August.

Funny.. very good lol.
I'm just wondering if I take my 4 figure annual donation and convert it to NIL does it give me license to complain about poor coaching?

Just want to know the current NIL era board rules for commentary on things. Perhaps we could find a way to validate and have folks donation levels and priority points listed under their handles.

In all seriousness..I'm kinda tired of the whole NIL discussion when Rutgers refuses to come up with any creative way to convert fan donations to NIL now that we live in the $90million + (?) B1G revenue world.

And I've got an even better personal story I can PM you about with regard to the schools responsiveness (or lack there of) to significant but creative financial donation proposals. Radio silence is the perfect title to something I sent back in early August.
PM me if you would like. You were not the first and certainly will not be the last fan RU ignores when a good suggestion is made.

Rutgers fans are many things but generous is not one of them. Greg is the 12th highest or lowest paid in the BIG. Greg or any other coach would make minimum wage if it depended on this fan base’s donations.
Greg's salary is generous by B1G standards. No reason why he shouldn't have similar records to coaches that are comparably paid as him.

PM me if you would like. You were not the first and certainly will not be the last fan RU ignores when a good suggestion is made.
I forgot I can't. I cancelled my VIP membership a few months ago.
I just looked back and my proposal was submitted back in late June. Gone back and forth a few times with one of their Senior Donations guys and as of today still no definitive response. It wasn't a suggestion. It was a 6 figure donation proposal.

I forgot I can't. I cancelled my VIP membership a few months ago.
I just looked back and my proposal was submitted back in late June. Gone back and forth a few times with one of their Senior Donations guys and as of today still no definitive response. It wasn't a suggestion. It was a 6 figure donation proposal.
Par for the course. I can give you the e-mail of someone who is responsive. Phil Fusco--great guy who stays on top of things.

p.fusco@scarletknights.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT