ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD: Nebraska at Rutgers

Great win today...got hairy for a bit as the 15 point lead got cut to 4 but they buckled down and secured the win. Quality win at home vs improving program

This team will enter in the top 25 on Monday

Reactions: ScarletteK80
This game is taking a long time to end. Will anyone be left in the stands when the final buzzer sounds?

Just noticed this is message 666 from me. No hex, no hex, no hex.

Congrats, ladies!

RU is now alone in second place in the B1G, with the possibility (slim) of moving into a tie for first should IU lose, and the greater possibility of being tied for second with one or two other teams - Iowa and NW - both of whom play later today.

Congrats, ladies!

RU is now alone in second place in the B1G, with the possibility (slim) of moving into a tie for first should IU lose, and the greater possibility of being tied for second with one or two other teams - Iowa and NW - both of whom play later today.

Game is still on at WCTC stream.

Several missed FTs at the end for RU. Too relaxed thinking W in the bag?

Cornhuskers have made 12 3-ptrs. 68 63 RU and another missed FT from a Scarlet Knight.

Whew! Really good win against a very good Nebraska team. Congrats ladies. Now you're 14-2.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Great game, outside of the FT shooting in the last 2 minutes. Need to work on that. Nebraska is a good team, as was Purdue, and we beat them both

That foul shooting at 9-21 is putrid
Yes, this team is definitely Jekyll and Hyde. In recent games they shot over 70+% from the charity stripe. There is no excuse to shoot 43%, none. That needs to be cleaned up going forward.

Reactions: bac2therac
What was most bizarre was that the missed FTs at the end fo the game were from Arella, Mael and Mack, two of whom (Arella and Mael) were shooting 77% or better from the FT line. Both Arella and Mael made much more clutch FTs on the road at Purdue to secure a victory. Hopefully today is an aberration.

Years of spotty ugly play drove them away
Actually it wasn't spotty play, it was the expectations of greatness wasn't fulfilled and attendance fell of because of that. The team was (and still is) a winner, just didn't get the following of one

Also, Rutgers doesn't try to promote its sports programs the way they should and in the metro area there are a lot of sports choices besides going to see the RU WBB team play.

Woman's basketball is a hard sell (anyplace) and Rutgers needs to put extra effort selling this program to the students, alumni and public.

Reactions: highsoxguy
Actually it wasn't spotty play, it was the expectations of greatness wasn't fulfilled and attendance fell of because of that. The team was (and still is) a winner, just didn't get the following of one

Also, Rutgers doesn't try to promote its sports programs the way they should and in the metro area there are a lot of sports choices besides going to see the RU WBB team play.

Woman's basketball is a hard sell (anyplace) and Rutgers needs to put extra effort selling this program to the students, alumni and public.

did very well in the lat 90s to mid 2000s, its clear the level of drop by a good deal, when was the last time the program made the sweet 16?

we have only won ONE NCAA tourney game in 8 freaking years. We have not been to the Sweet 16 since 2009. Just telling you why they are not coming

did very well in the lat 90s to mid 2000s, its clear the level of drop by a good deal, when was the last time the program made the sweet 16?

we have only won ONE NCAA tourney game in 8 freaking years. We have not been to the Sweet 16 since 2009. Just telling you why they are not coming
short answer I gave:
"expectations of greatness wasn't fulfilled"
Say what you will, but Rutgers made the NCAA most years and had winning seasons.
I look at spotty play as the losing years just about equal the winning ones.
Your reply (to me) just confirms my :
>"expectations of greatness wasn't fulfilled"< and, in my opinion, Rutgers didn't try to promote the WBB program in a way to draw interest in going to the games which made fans that were dissapointed in RUs lack of being a top program anymore look for other entertainment venues to attend .

so yes (I agree) the lack of going as far in the Tourney as RU WBB fans and the bandwagoneers wanted had an effect, but other reasons helped lower attendance from the glory days as well.

It is simple - Rutgers stopped being a winner and was mediocre for quite a few years.

Folks like 2 things - winning (particularly winning big games) and a star to follow.

We lacked a star that captivated the fans, for the most part. We had some decent stars, but they were not dynamic and, well, they didn't seem to have a lot of personality.

And while our record wasn't awful, games were often a struggle and we (for years) have lost to the teams that you would expect we would lose to (in other words, we haven't pulled many upsets - compare to when attendance was better).

That said, I think some folks memory of attendance is a little rosier than it was. Rutgers should have had better attendance in the day.

And a complaint about the men's team - in the day - was that folks would rather attend a farily lousy men's team when Rutgers women were ranked in the top 10. Yeah, I get it that that's the way it is. I don't have to like it.

Reactions: bac2therac
Great win today...got hairy for a bit as the 15 point lead got cut to 4 but they buckled down and secured the win. Quality win at home vs improving program

This team will enter in the top 25 on Monday
Nope fell one spot to 28th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT