ADVERTISEMENT

Game turned on one play

Maybe not but we laid down after that.

I'm not excusing that, but i did see it

If you lay down after one tough call you are mentally not ready for this level of play
Something clicked off.
Maybe it was the 4th on Wolf.
But they folded precipitously and the play i felt it with was that Hawkins play.

Illinois is good but we’re not really a top half of B1G team this year. I can see inconsistent shooting will be a problem, poor rebounding (saw that even in our OOC games), continued poor foul shooting. Griffiths PT will depend on his defense and if he shows some offensive life which he failed at both today.

Whole atmosphere and feel and flow of the game changed on no call on Coleman Hawkins pass to himself
I don’t know what game you were watching, but Illinois was the better team all game long, and by a very large margin in the second half.

And if the ball wasn’t touched by an RU player on that play when it looked like Hawkins passed to himself, then we should’ve defended better and prevented the basket anyway.

I don’t know what game you were watching, but Illinois was the better team all game long, and by a very large margin in the second half.

And if the ball wasn’t touched by an RU player on that play when it looked like Hawkins passed to himself, then we should’ve defended better and prevented the basket anyway.

OP with ridiculous take

Whole atmosphere and feel and flow of the game changed on no call on Coleman Hawkins pass to himself
You are joking right? The only reason they didn’t win by 40 is all the balls they threw away on wild cross court passes or trying to make interior passes in the paint like they were the 80s Celtics. Other than that, they completely dominated us.

C'mon, that's just wrong, plus the ball was tipped as far as I could see, alhough I haven't seen a replay. Illinios is simply a much better team - that's why we lost.
If I were Pike, I’d use some clips from the second half of the game to illustrate a great combination of player and ball movement on O. Illinois was conducting a tutorial. Much as I disliked that it was us taking the beating, I had to admire the excellence on display.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Talent and size to start with, and a dismal all-around performance by us. And Griffiths not out on the court. Everyone on Rutgers got abused playing defense.

REALLY? A 30 point beat down was because of one play?
Not what i meant to imply. I was referring to the fact we had somewhat effective effort before and lacked it after.

The outcome was hardly in doubt.

They have much better players
Coaching was also far better.Illinois runs a half court offense that is impressive to watch because of execution of basic fundamentals like passing ,dribbling and player movement without the ball. In contrast Rutgers half court offense consists of passes to Cliff that results in missed shots because he hasn't learned how to bank the ball into the basket.The small guards can't make layups or create and make jump shots off the dribble.Its really a bad version of playground basketball without the talented players to make shots.

Reactions: LJK80
Coaching was also far better.Illinois runs a half court offense that is impressive to watch because of execution of basic fundamentals like passing ,dribbling and player movement without the ball. In contrast Rutgers half court offense consists of passes to Cliff that results in missed shots because he hasn't learned how to bank the ball into the basket.The small guards can't make layups or create and make jump shots off the dribble.Its really a bad version of playground basketball without the talented players to make shots.
Their guards are physical and big and can get in the lane. That’s what starts the opportunity to move the ball. Our guards couldn’t penetrate and weren’t physical enough. Coaching kept this within 20 points imo.

Most of their layups looked uncontested while ours were 6’ guards driving into double and triple teams of trees

Their guards are physical and big and can get in the lane. That’s what starts the opportunity to move the ball. Our guards couldn’t penetrate and weren’t physical enough. Coaching kept this within 20 points imo.
The only reason it was within 20 was because they made a lot of wild high risk cross court and interior passes where they just threw the ball away. If they had cleaned that up, they would have beaten us by 40.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT