ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Temple

Ever changing yet eternally the same. That’s Rutgers, Henry.

Not going to make much of an emotional investment in this team. Missing the two starters definitely hurt, but this is a mediocre bunch.

Its not like Paul and Caleb provide instant offense

We are still in a battle to replace Geo and Rons production

FWIW, offense felt like a much bigger problem early last season in the cupcake games than it does now. We really couldn’t have played worse in the first half. The early turnovers killed us.

But we still wound up with 66 points. Not great, but also not awful. We made some good adjustments in the second half.

Ever changing yet eternally the same. That’s Rutgers, Henry.

Not going to make much of an emotional investment in this team. Missing the two starters definitely hurt, but this is a mediocre bunch.
I’m guessing you had sane take last year after 4 games?

Interesting. I thought 50% of this board thought Paul was overrated and shouldn't be that much a factor.

My observations:

-Cliff needs to stop shooting threes.
-Cam will get in groove and shoot lights out as he adjust to his teammates. Great hands and help defense. His pt total tonight was deceiving with layups at the end.
-3 pt shooting was horrid and RU lost by six pts
-Abysmal Shots taken under the basket with no angle while covered instead of passing or dribbling out. Cliff and Miller come to mind.
-Derrick will never go 1-11 ever again in his RU career. Kid will be better scorer.
-Mag was out of control a number of times and needs to slow things down
-Hyatt needs to take better shots and also be in control going to the basket
-Palmquist should not be on scholarship. No shot and does not crash boards.
-RU bench needs to bring more offense and Reiber needs to take every Big bench players minutes not named Woolfork.
-Paul and Caleb were missed
-RU got a taste of a hungry team with size, athleticism, hitting shots (some crazy) and didn’t back down.

Finally even though a number of things were off, especially in the first half [along with missing two key players] RU kept fighting to the end. To think if we hit some FTs down the stretch and hit a 3 pt or two RU could have walked out with the victory.

RU needs to continue improving and get use to playing better as a team.

GO RU

Interesting. I thought 50% of this board thought Paul was overrated and shouldn't be that much a factor.
I think the more important point is that Paul’s play time limits the time we had to play Palmquist, Miller, and others.

I think there was reason he was in the Patriot League (no offense to him) - but things here just on a different level. I think he will be somewhat effective, but he is not 'Next Man Up' for Ron or Geo.
You can't judge his career off one game. He still put up 17 (in garbage time), but he has to adjust to being more active on offense.

I thought Amy was smart with the strategic wager. Hope Sam gets it wrong, but at all costs keep He from winning it all and live to play another day.
Nah, trust your intellect and go for the dagger. End it tonight!

You can't judge his career off one game. He still put up 17 (in garbage time), but he has to adjust to being more active on offense.
I can see Simpson is going to be really good once he shakes off the Freshman stuff - he just has IT. Cam, on the other hand looked slow to me - again it doesn't mean he can't be effective, and a very good role player, but taking over where Geo left off? I think Cam plays smart, and can be sneaky good on both sides of the ball. But is he someone who can take over a big game or be our go to guy? It's really what this team needs - they need a scorer which I think is exactly why he was brought in. My eyes tell me he's not on a level to do that against good comp.

The team needed a half to figure out the offense since this isn’t the lineup they are used to. The second half confirmed that for me. There were also basically no subs the entire game.

I think now they’re in a much better spot if we have to go more games with Paul and Caleb.

Also wanna throw out there that was one of the most favorable whistles we’ve had in a looooooong time.

I guess you're happy being in the Last 4 In or getting to a bowl game based on APR scores. Rutgers will do that to you.
Much happier than I was when we were one of the worst mbb teams less than a decade ago. Anyone who expects to go from that to blue blood in 7 seasons is foolish.

Last 4 in and beating 4 top 25 teams in a row is not in the same universe of making a bowl at 5-7. Foolish again.

Last edited:
Much happier than I was when we were one of the worst mbb teams less than a decade ago. Anyone who expects to go from that to blue blood in 7 seasons is foolish.

Last 4 in and beating 4 top 25 teams in a row is not in the same universe of making a bowl at 5-7. Foolish again.
Ha ha, nice straw man argument. Who said anything about becoming a blue blood. That is too funny. Ain’t happening in your lifetime and I hope you live to 120.

Ha ha, nice straw man argument. Who said anything about becoming a blue blood. That is too funny. Ain’t happening in your lifetime and I hope you live to 120.
So going from a program who was 300+ ranked to a tournament level team 3 years in a row in 7 years without bag men is not good enough for you. What’s your expectation?

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT