ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers vs. Seton Hall in Garden State Hardwood Classic

I don't know guys.. I am happy. But if Big Ten refs screw us like these refs did.. what are the chances we can shoot 50% from 3 again? We go 10/24 instead of 12/24 and we lose this one.

Reactions: zebnatto
The intensity from everyone, coach included, was there the entire time. We have our team back and you can see Davis and Griffiths growing into things

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Nice win. Much better effort although the execution left something to be desired at times. Certainly helps when you shoot well from 3. J-Mike was impressive.

Overall good win :
Against this opponent
Came out good in both halves
Rebounding much improved
Cliff best defensive game of year
Free throws a big plus
Very good 3 pointers
Made free throws under pressure
Just a great team win.

Reactions: FastMJ
Mag gives you the extra body up front, an extra 5 fouls, and the ability to not have to play certain bench players too long…huge difference in that regard.

these touch fouls !!!

What the **** ?!?

On replay - nothing there!!!!!’n nothing !!!!! Gavin didn’t touch him!!!

Then Our side of court - shu bumping every RU dribbler. Mag was bumped several times before pike called TO
Too bad we don’t get home cookin at the RAC. Wouldn’t be so bad if we did.

Mag gives you the extra body up front, an extra 5 fouls, and the ability to not have to play certain bench players too long…huge difference in that regard.
Also a rebounder to help Cliff. Wolf has been a huge disappointment on boards

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Team learning how to win and close out games

Responded every time. I like how they were challenged

Team has to go through this. Stop thinking bad things will happen
Yup tonight, last game and Pike ripping them all were extremely valuable.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Too bad we don’t get home cookin at the RAC. Wouldn’t be so bad if we did.

I can remember one game against Indiana(?) a few years back in the RAC where we certainly got the calls and I remember thinking “oh this is what it’s like to get the calls!”

Reactions: thegock
I don't know guys.. I am happy. But if Big Ten refs screw us like these refs did.. what are the chances we can shoot 50% from 3 again? We go 10/24 instead of 12/24 and we lose this one.
Play with the intensity and defense matters too. That has to happen when 3s aren’t falling. Won plenty of games the last 2 years with subpar 3 point shooting.

So so happy to be wrong. Kudos to Pike and the team for being ready to play and taking it to Seton Hall. Looked like a different team.
In the prediction thread where people provided a score, it was 24 SHU AND RU 10. Maybe understandable based on prior 2 games, but nice to see most of the guys stepped up their game. Some credit to the return of “MAGnificent”

Reactions: Mr Magoo
In the prediction thread where people provided a score, it was 24 SHU AND RU 10. Maybe understandable based on prior 2 games, but nice to see most of the guys stepped up their game. Some credit to the return of “MAGnificent”
The way the team was playing it was really difficult to predict a win tonight

This game looked like a bad high school game. This Rutgers team doesn’t have enough talent to dance next season with Bailey and Harper. Griffits a 4/5*? I don’t see it

cruising Richie

Reading some of these comments.. it is like many of you forget how different every game is. Who we face, what personnel they have, and how they are coached.. makes comparisons between games nearly impossible. yet, because of performances tonight, I see a lot of assumptions about why we won tonight vs these previous two games.

I am choosing to reign in assumptions about what this means.

See you all at noon the next two Saturdays and have a great holiday season.

So Rich, FTR, how did Griffits get his 4/5*? he is a freshman but, this guy is slow, can’t rebound, poor defense ,cant pass, can’t shoot..etc

Reading some of these comments.. it is like many of you forget how different every game is. Who we face, what personnel they have, and how they are coached.. makes comparisons between games nearly impossible. yet, because of performances tonight, I see a lot of assumptions about why we won tonight vs these previous two games.

I am choosing to reign in assumptions about what this means.

See you all at noon the next two Saturdays and have a great holiday season.

I get what your saying, and it definitely helps to shoot the ball better in one game vs. another. The one parallel that can be drawn though that’s a sign of progress is the rebounding. When we clawed back to within 2 vs Wake things fell apart when we failed to secure multiple key rebounds. I saw Mag come in and help with this issue vs Seton Hall. Yes - different in that we had the lead, but when Seton Hall cut the gap, and we were in a scoring drought Mag had a huge offensive putback and secured several defensive rebounds when we needed them most. I think it was asking a lot for Cliff to be the only rebounder and also assigned bailout duty on rim protection. Mag definitely fills a need for better or worse.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I get what your saying, and it definitely helps to shoot the ball better in one game vs. another. The one parallel that can be drawn though that’s a sign of progress is the rebounding. When we clawed back to within 2 vs Wake things fell apart when we failed to secure multiple key rebounds. I saw Mag come in and help with this issue vs Seton Hall. Yes - different in that we had the lead, but when Seton Hall cut the gap, and we were in a scoring drought Mag had a huge offensive putback and secured several defensive rebounds when we needed them most. I think it was asking a lot for Cliff to be the only rebounder and also assigned bailout duty on rim protection. Mag definitely fills a need for better or worse.
Agreed. When things got close Mag's difference could have meaning looking at games ahead, as well as those behind us. The ability to be where the ball will be for rebounds.. it is like a superpower and Mag has it.

If Cliff ever finds that power.. along with his physical superpowers.. look out! Too often I see a shot approaching the hoop and notice Cliff is under the backboard. I do not understand that.. I get that players push him endlessly.. but with his speed and ability to rise up quicker than most, he should set up where they cannot do that.. and then go around them. Because if they are big enough to push him, they won't be fast enough to keep up with him.

Agreed. When things got close Mag's difference could have meaning looking at games ahead, as well as those behind us. The ability to be where the ball will be for rebounds.. it is like a superpower and Mag has it.

If Cliff ever finds that power.. along with his physical superpowers.. look out! Too often I see a shot approaching the hoop and notice Cliff is under the backboard. I do not understand that.. I get that players push him endlessly.. but with his speed and ability to rise up quicker than most, he should set up where they cannot do that.. and then go around them. Because if they are big enough to push him, they won't be fast enough to keep up with him.

I agree. But in fairness to Cliff, I think part of his issue is that he’s just most comfortable being a complimentary player. That’s not necessarily a deal breaker for him as at the next level his surrounding cast would always be much higher caliber players all around. I think his poor showing so far this year was us seeing him struggle to adjust to not having a plus forward defender on the court with him. He’s the kind of player who quietly gets his stats as a complement to others. He’s always had either Caleb or Mag on the court with him throughout his RU career. I just think he was in over his head trying to play help defense and then adjust quick enough to secure defensive rebounds. The offense will work itself out. A lot of it was probably frustration when getting dominated on the glass by inferior players.

...A lot of it was probably frustration when getting dominated on the glass by inferior players.
and a lot of that was players being allowed to maul him. Some ridiculously unbalanced foul calling against us already this season. Was it vs Wake where he got purposefully elbowed in the head in a way that was not really a "basketball move" and it was waived off as not even a foul... some hideous treatment of Cliff by refs already... and I do not expect Big Ten refs to treat us fairly either.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT