ADVERTISEMENT

Games in Spain

ru4423

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2005
Does anyone know if these games are open to the public and how I can find out where/when they are? I have a couple of friends and fellow RU alum that will be in Barcelona this week...

Does anyone know if these games are open to the public and how I can find out where/when they are? I have a couple of friends and fellow RU alum that will be in Barcelona this week...

Per APP

Monday, Aug. 12 in Barcelona: vs. Mataro All-Stars, 2:30 p.m. ET

Wednesday, Aug. 14 in Barcelona: vs. El Maresme All-Stars, 2 p.m. ET

Reactions: ru4423

Per APP

Monday, Aug. 12 in Barcelona: vs. Mataro All-Stars, 2:30 p.m. ET

Wednesday, Aug. 14 in Barcelona: vs. El Maresme All-Stars, 2 p.m. ET
Rich, besides West Virginia, are there other big schools playing against this same schedule? If so, are there scores of those games available to get any idea on what our score might mean besides blowing them both out. I’ve read West Virginia did the same and by even bigger margins? Any other info you could provide on these opponents would be appreciated if you can?

Rich, besides West Virginia, are there other big schools playing against this same schedule? If so, are there scores of those games available to get any idea on what our score might mean besides blowing them both out. I’ve read West Virginia did the same and by even bigger margins? Any other info you could provide on these opponents would be appreciated if you can?

WVU beat Madrid All-Stars 97-69 (Rutgers won 96-78)

WVU beat CC Basketball Academy 115-50 (Rutgers won 86-57 in three quarters)

WVU beat Barcelona All-Stars 98-67 (Rutgers does not play this opponent)

Reactions: bowlgoal
Based on the WVU series were scoring and winning by a differential of almost 10 ppg less than them per game.

Definitely other factors like line ups we are playing versus them, etc. Probably not a clean comparison. I was hoping other schools were also out there but I guess not? Maybe we should just play WVU?

Reactions: ruready07
Definitely other factors like line ups we are playing versus them, etc. Probably not a clean comparison. I was hoping other schools were also out there but I guess not? Maybe we should just play WVU?

Georgia Tech is there now, they started in Barcelona and finish in Madrid so we'll see who they play.

LSU leaves for Spain today.

Marquette is doing a Spain/France trip, couldn't find their schedule.

Stanford will be in Italy and Spain later this month.

UCF was in Madrid but played a different team (same for Valencia)

Xavier is in Spain but hasn't played a common opponent.

I wouldn't worry too much about the margin of victory being a little lower. From what I could tell by the minutes distribution, Huggins was leaning a little bit more heavily on certain players than Pikiell has. Plus I don't think the rosters for the opponents were exactly the same each day. It's more of a "who can we get to come out here today?" situation for these Spanish teams, I think.

WVU is now called "Press Virginia" in recent years under Bob Huggins, because they are constantly in 3/4 court press after baskets or free throws and without video to show if they are pressing or working on their press, it doesn't surprise me to see their margins of victory being much larger....if these teams are not used to a press or lack a couple of guards to break a press, WVU will kill you.

Mulcahy is noticeably sharper and more defined physically right now than 6 months ago when I saw him at Kean vs Ranney.

there is essentially no use in trying to compare scores to another team because each team treats the trips differently. Some schools go and try to have practices and have a veteran team that has been together and can run some higher level stuff. Last year when Michigan went to Europe they didn't even have their HC with them and didn't practice once, it was more just a team building activity to have fun and bond with a few games sprinkled in for fun.

Putting Brian's tweet here because the graphic they use is borderline unreadable with the small font and no outline.

Lineups have been:

G1: Baker-Mathis-Kiss-Harper-Johnson
G2: Mulcahy-Young-McConnell-Yeboah-Carter
G3: Mulcahy-Baker-McConnell-Harper-Johnson

Guessing game 4 will be Young-Mathis-Kiss-Yeboah-Carter. Further guessing neither of those 4 lineups will be our Opening Day lineup.

Georgia Tech is there now, they started in Barcelona and finish in Madrid so we'll see who they play.

I wouldn't worry too much about the margin of victory being a little lower. From what I could tell by the minutes distribution, Huggins was leaning a little bit more heavily on certain players than Pikiell has. Plus I don't think the rosters for the opponents were exactly the same each day. It's more of a "who can we get to come out here today?" situation for these Spanish teams, I think.
I agree and I’m not worried about the margin of victory especially because we are playing different line ups. Just wondering if any other college teams had close games with any of these opponents? I had figured some of these teams had more talent. I remember foreign teams coming to the RAC with former college players and some would flat out beat us. I guess this is different?

I agree and I’m not worried about the margin of victory especially because we are playing different line ups. Just wondering if any other college teams had close games with any of these opponents? I had figured some of these teams had more talent. I remember foreign teams coming to the RAC with former college players and some would flat out beat us. I guess this is different?
I’m also hoping that this Rutgers team can do some pressing as well. That’s one way of beating better teams. Wenzel teams were very successful in pressing and causing havoc.

Reactions: mfgiguy

Seems like it. Minnesota and Miami both played close games with a Stella Azzurra team in Italy so they seem to be pretty legit. Illinois lost a game against the Netherlands B team (no sign of Shaq Doorson, sadly). So there is some legit competition out there. Rutgers doesn't seem to be playing any of them, however. Not sure how much input a team has on this given that they're booked through a third-party tour company.

Seems like it. Minnesota and Miami both played close games with a Stella Azzurra team in Italy so they seem to be pretty legit. Illinois lost a game against the Netherlands B team (no sign of Shaq Doorson, sadly). So there is some legit competition out there. Rutgers doesn't seem to be playing any of them, however. Not sure how much input a team has on this given that they're booked through a third-party tour company.

My excuses for Illinois in that game. Lol

Two starters could not make the trip to Italy due to visa issues. Kofi Cockburn (Jamaican citizen) and Andres Feliz (Dominican). Not sure what happened this year but a lot of schools had visa issues.

4th game in 5 days in a 95 degree gym.

Underwood even gave his walk ons 10-15 minutes a game on the trip. With an injury to Benjamin Bosnans-Verdonk who is expected to be in the rotation, Illinois had 7 scholarship players on the trip. Definitely got worn down.

Don’t get me wrong. They wanted to win that game and lost. Lots to work on.

Ayo averaged 26 on the trip. Giorgi about 18.

Reactions: ruready07
Putting Brian's tweet here because the graphic they use is borderline unreadable with the small font and no outline.

Lineups have been:

Guessing game 4 will be Young-Mathis-Kiss-Yeboah-Carter. Further guessing neither of those 4 lineups will be our Opening Day lineup.
Don't see it. Can't see either Yeboah or Carter not starting.

The November/December lineup should be interesting. I think the only real GUARANTEED starters by then will be Baker, Harper, and Johnson. The "other" G position and the PF position are up for grabs, though.

At G, it's going to be a battle between Mathis, Young and possibly McConnell.

At PF, it's going to be a battle between Yeboah and Carter. In the alternative, I could also see Pike going with a 3-guard offense plus HARPER at the 4.

So, lots to be hashed out between now and November.

The November/December lineup should be interesting. I think the only real GUARANTEED starters by then will be Baker, Harper, and Johnson. The "other" G position and the PF position are up for grabs, though.

At G, it's going to be a battle between Mathis, Young and possibly McConnell.

At PF, it's going to be a battle between Yeboah and Carter. In the alternative, I could also see Pike going with a 3-guard offense plus HARPER at the 4.

So, lots to be hashed out between now and November.
Basically agree, but Mathis has a way to go to earn more minutes than Young or McConnell, imo. And using Carter is going to be interesting since Coach needs him to also spell Myles at the 5, unless Doucoure is able to play that role.

Last edited:

Lineups have been:

We have a winner. Each of the 10 players got two starts apiece.

I will watch s few. Who has progressed? Who has regressed? Any lingering issues? These are all 18-22 year old babies. They are still finding themselves as are the coaches trying to make them great. We dont have Duke talent but as UVA showed us you don't have to. We are making strides. I am ready.

Were the games in Spain mainly on the plain?

Reactions: RUDave_01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT