ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

Anyone who feels this isn't a topic worthy of discussion is kidding themselves. We have become a country with 300M people talking and nobody listening. There are arguments to be made on both sides of the topic. If you don't recognize that you are being too close minded.

Problem is, why would "a few bucks" solve all this. Even if they make 10k a year, the NCAA league is worth billions of dollars.
What the NCAA is worth doesn't factor in here. It's all money from sponsorships. Not the NCAA. It's the freedom to use YOUR name and YOUR personality to earn a living anyway you want

Reactions: gregkoko and GRU23
Haha these guys are in a dream world. They are complaining about food that regular students are forced to eat daily. how out of touch can you be.

If i was the NCAA i would just cancel the whole thing. If you cant do it right do not do it.
The difference is they’re not “regular students” — they participate in generating millions for their universities and the broader NCAA cog. Not to mention, are we really supposed to expect 7 foot, 250 pound athletes to eat like your average college kid? The NCAA is about to make hundreds of millions over the next few weeks, the least they could do is provide the kids with high quality food in large portions lol

Hasn't Rutgers athletics lost money in each of the 4 years Geo has been here? Doesn't he owe Rutgers money then?
Another genius. I ask you to kindly follow the conversation. He is not asking Rutgers for a dime. He is asking the NCAA to allow the athletes (across all sports) for the right to leverage their names, images and likeness. Rutgers and their financial position honestly has nothing to do with this.

Hasn't Rutgers athletics lost money in each of the 4 years Geo has been here? Doesn't he owe Rutgers money then?
Him being able to make money off his likeness would not hurt Rutgers or the NCAA’s pockets at all.

Reactions: CHR2022
And this is why unions exist in a free market...keep them coming fellas. Love how you guys support this kids. It's inspiring...

haha it is funny that you say that because people do not have a choice whether they want to join a union or not. If they do not like being in a union they can get a different job or they just shut up and join the union. Just like geo. He can either play by NCAA rules or go someplace else.

LOL, no. If you would follow my post here you would know that I actually started a thread saying that Geo is much better off going to work for a living than trying to hold onto a basketball dream that essentially pays minimum wage. Cute try tho cupcake
I don’t follow your posts, thank god. I also didn’t say anything about life after college though. This issue has nothing do do with that. We’re talking about proper compensation for athletes while in school. Try to keep up, pumpkin.

Reactions: scarlethoops
a bunch of players speaking around the country as wel...Bohannon too

okay then they all need to put their money where there mouth is...go out and refuse to play in the tournament, some will praise and some will just laugh them,

I wish I got free meals and free tutoring, free academic help, free workouts and free education plus free publicity
What skill did you have that would get you free meals , free tutoring , free academic help , free workouts , free education and feee publicity ?

Reactions: tulloal and RU516
So the solution is, have them make 0 dollars ?

Actually, it's to have the NCAA make zero dollars. Here's what I posted earlier:

"There is only one real solution; ending college sports as a form of entertainment.

No more spectators and no more television contracts. Just play in front of friends and family. There is no way to fairly divide college sports revenue among participants without turning it into a pro league. Anything in-between complete de-entertainmentification of college sports and the system we have now leads to a market inefficiency that would collapse on its footprint in the long run."

haha it is funny that you say that because people do not have a choice whether they want to join a union or not. If they do not like being in a union they can get a different job or they just shut up and join the union. Just like geo. He can either play by NCAA rules or go someplace else.
Do you understand how unions work? I swear...amazing that some of you actually have Rutgers degrees.

Reactions: goldaxis
Another genius. I ask you to kindly follow the conversation. He is not asking Rutgers for a dime. He is asking the NCAA to allow the athletes (across all sports) for the right to leverage their names, images and likeness. Rutgers and their financial position honestly has nothing to do with this.

I think this would be a great way to make money for rutgers. What is their cut? Certainly Geo's image and likeness is directly tied to them. Kind of like a sports agency.

Reactions: newell138
Or he can try to effectuate change ? People on this board say that about illegal immigrants, stay where you are and make your country better.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
This. Jordan Bohannon has a podcast with a friend that is not an athlete, and, simply because Jordan is an NCAA athlete, neither of them can make a dime off of it. Iowa has nothing to do with it. They probably don’t care. But the NCAA would rule him ineligible.

Yeah...Michael Jordan should also cut the Bulls a check for all the sneakers he has sold too. Come on people.
The bulls actually PAID for Jordan to wear his own shoes (fine for not wearing league standard) each game because they understood he was generating revenue for them

I don’t follow your posts, thank god. I also didn’t say anything about life after college though. This issue has nothing do do with that. We’re talking about proper compensation for athletes while in school. Try to keep up, pumpkin.
Haha the $300-400k in value while in school i guess isnt enough lol. One day people like you and these children like geo will realize we cheer for their name on the back solely because of the name on the front. 99.9% of college athletes NIL is completely worthless without the name on the front of the jersey

Reactions: koleszar and RU-AGK
Or he can try to effectuate change ? People on this board say that about illegal immigrants, stay where you are and make your country better.

Here is the problem it is only the change that Geo wants. What if 10 other students stood up and said that Rutgers should get rid of sports because it is a drain on the school and holds certain students above others? Would Geo be in favor of that change? How about if students on campus demanded they get access to the samee trainers, tutors, travel and athletic farcicalities as the basketball team. Would Geo be ok with not being able to get shots up because the engineering club wanted to get a little 5 on 5 going in practice facility or had to skip sets because of johnny meat head wants to hit the squat rack.

Geo puts his own interests in front of that of the team. And Harper chirps in with his approval?

Why do I think a Nebraska performance may be in the cards on Friday?

Pike has a tougher job than we know. Isn’t Geo a Captain? So was our former Captain now playing for Oregon.

Reactions: RU-AGK and JFK20
Haha the $300-400k in value while in school i guess isnt enough lol. One day people like you and these children like geo will realize we cheer for their name on the back solely because of the name on the front. 99.9% of college athletes NIL is completely worthless without the name on the front of the jersey
My question is why does that matter. You would stop cheering for him if he ran a paid basketball camp over the summer? Would Iowa fans stop cheering for Bohannon if he ran a paid ad on his podcast ?

Yeah...Michael Jordan should also cut the Bulls a check for all the sneakers he has sold too. Come on people.

We are comparing Geo to Michael now? Geo baker is a drain on the university and costs them money. While michael jordan on the other hand is maybe the only reason why the bulls actually have fans. If the bulls did that then michael jordan would just go play someone place else. Without Rurgers no one knows geo bakers name.

What’s so hard to understand about the fact that Geo earned that 300-400k. I just am flabbergasted someone thinks a company should have absolute control of someone’s likeness and name and exploit it solely for their own sake.

If they do not like it then stop playing give the scholarship to someone else or better yet do not sign at all
Geo is using his platform to express his opinion on a topic which needs to be discussed. It would be unrealistic to think that he doesn’t know that some people would be unhappy with his viewpoint and timing. I commend him for stepping forward.

My question is why does that matter. You would stop cheering for him if he ran a paid basketball camp over the summer? Would Iowa fans stop cheering for Bohannon if he ran a paid ad on his podcast ?
No lol. The answer is so so simple and its perplexing that people cant recognize this.
Coach: we really want you at ________ University. And our boosters do too. For recruits like you theyre such huge fans that they’ll pay $10,000 each for an autograph session and we have 10 boosters like this. In other words if you sign here they value your NIL so much youll get $100k once you sign.

recruit: coach, im in. Im committing.

then all college athletics is, is simply which fan base has the most boosters capable of lighting money on fire. If youre good with that, fine. But it’d end college athletics. I have ZERO issue with a kid hosting a camp in their hometown. I have an issue with a kid hosting a camp on the campus of their school where blue bloods can lineup boosters kids and charge extra$$$ for entry to camp.

@Gregmoore23 ^^^

The large majority of these kids overestimate what their value is. I’m a fan of Geo’s but I’m not buying his jersey or paying for an autograph. Heck I find it odd that other grown men wear jerseys with another man’s name on the back (in this case a man that is only a few years removed from childhood).

Outside of the Zion Williamson‘s of the world most D1 college players aren’t getting rich off of their likeness and image. They will be very disappointed if they were valued by what the market will bear.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Geo is using his platform to express his opinion on a topic which needs to be discussed. It would be unrealistic to think that he doesn’t know that some people would be unhappy with his viewpoint and timing. I commend him for stepping forward.
100%. The NCAA brought 800+ athletes to one city for this and locked them up in hotels so they can fulfill their billion dollar TV contract, appease sponsors and leverage the impressions that billions of dollars of gambling do in creating value. I'm sure every kid is fortunate to be able to have the chance to play (no one is disputing that), but the system is clearly broken and the players have a once in a lifetime chance to try to elevate the conversation given these circumstances. They aren't asking for a cut of that revenue - they are asking for the basic rights of NIL to be granted. When you really step back and break it down, it makes all the sense in the world.

No lol. The answer is so so simple and its perplexing that people cant recognize this.
Coach: we really want you at ________ University. And our boosters do too. For recruits like you theyre such huge fans that they’ll pay $10,000 each for an autograph session and we have 10 boosters like this. In other words if you sign here they value your NIL so much youll get $100k once you sign.

recruit: coach, im in. Im committing.

then all college athletics is, is simply which fan base has the most boosters capable of lighting money on fire. If youre good with that, fine. But it’d end college athletics. I have ZERO issue with a kid hosting a camp in their hometown. I have an issue with a kid hosting a camp on the campus of their school where blue bloods can lineup boosters kids and charge extra$$$ for entry to camp.
Dude those athletes worth paying $10k are getting that in cash dropped in their mailbox if a big school wants them. You know that. Guys getting paid under the table will continue to get paid under the table.

So many of you guys expose yourselves on this topic. Obviously Geo should be able to be compensated the same way any college student can be. Geo could easily make money selling his own shirts or what not. Saying that the boosters would pay for recruits is funny because they already do in some way, this would just shine light on it.

all college athletics is, is simply which fan base has the most boosters capable of lighting money on fire. If youre good with that, fine. But it’d end college athletics. I have ZERO issue with a kid ho

Someone from Indiana just donated 10M to have archie fired. i am sure they would never use NIL as a loophole to pay players exorbitant amounts above their worth to win a couple games.

And to the stay focused people, outside of their limited practice, they are basically locked in a hotel room he doesn't really have much to do. I for one am glad that a Rutgers player is a face of a national movement that could change college athletics.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Anyone with half a brain cell realizes it's a mutually beneficial relationship, one wouldn't exist without the other. The problem is the disparity between the realized benefits is massively weighted towards the school. It doesn't have to be (nor should it be) 1:1 since the school has considerable other costs to account for in order for the program to operate but it makes no sense that a player can't benefit from his likeness via other avenues during the time when 99.9% of them are at their peak in terms of notoriety in their life.

Capitalism and the free market shouldn't be ignored just because they are receiving a scholarship, which is ultimately paid back more than 10x over during their tenure as football\basketball players. A free market would yield considerably larger compensation packages for the majority of P5 athletes in football and basketball give how lucrative some of TV and endorsement deals are these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT