ADVERTISEMENT

Giants and Rutgers

More excusable at Rutgers. At least in college, there’s no parity. This performance from the Giants is pathetic...again.

So much talent wasted because of minimal investment in the O line.

Without him they’d have minus yards tonight.
Not saying you’re wrong either
Barkley is a tremendous talent as we all already knew. He does not go down on the first contact. He just doesn't. Good thing too, because that first contact always occurs in the backfield.

The point is that the NFL is not an RB league. That is evident from the salary structure. RB's are not valued, hence they don't get paid.

I didn’t watch but any team that takes a RB top 3 doesn’t understand how the NFL works.
Worst pick ever... they should have taken a pass rusher...they could have just as mush success with Robert Martin...I’m a Giants fan but hope Barkley is a bust... in 5 years Maybe both teams will be rebuilt

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Worst pick ever... they should have taken a pass rusher...they could have just as mush success with Robert Martin...I’m a Giants fan but hope Barkley is a bust... in 5 years Maybe both teams will be rebuilt
I agree with the notion that the Giants shouldn't have taken Barkley at #2 overall. But equating him to Martin is ridiculous. He's been the best player on the field the first two weeks, and that includes our new highest paid WR in NFL history.

Plus, while a pass rusher would be nice (come back Vernon), we need to stock up on the O line.

Good news is...if this keeps up, we'll have the #2 overall pick again next year.

I wasn't all for the Barkley pick at first either, but I get it. When Emmitt Smith is sitting there calling you the new "triplets" and references are made to the Rams "greatest show on turf" in regards to your offense, I understand why. Even in today's NFL where the feature back is virtually extinct, Barkley is that good of a receiver and dynamic play maker...he can score from anywhere on the field and beat you in so many ways...he is too hard to pass up. His skill set is much different than that of Elliot and Fournette. He's like a modern day Marshall Faulk. And if you don't absolutely LOVE any of the QBs in the draft, and it's clear the NYG front office did not, you don't invest the next 5-7 of years of your franchise on one. I personally didn't subscribe to the idea that the 2018 draft was this 1983 or 2004 type of class for QBs. Darnold will likely end up being really good...how good remains to be seen though. Point is, there will be more out there (wait until this Bama kid and Haskins come out).

The major problem is that the Giants' OL sucks yet again. Well, at least the right side of it does. I can't believe Flowers starts in this league. It's clear they are going to need one more off season to properly address OL and pass rush. I actually like this new DC. He just needs a legit, classic NYG-type edge rusher and one or two more solid cover guys (I personally think Landon Collins stinks in coverage) to make this work. The first half of this years schedule was too brutal for them to make a legit run anyway.

Big Blue, soon to be Oh and Two.

Zap, would it be in bad taste to send you Flowers?

17260i992D6885B7341475

As they say on tMB...underrated post.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSGS
Just absolute ineptitude across the board. Its awesome when its week 2/3 of the football season and its already over. No hope for anything of substance.

I wasn't all for the Barkley pick at first either, but I get it. When Emmitt Smith is sitting there calling you the new "triplets" and references are made to the Rams "greatest show on turf" in regards to your offense, I understand why. Even in today's NFL where the feature back is virtually extinct, Barkley is that good of a receiver and dynamic play maker...he can score from anywhere on the field and beat you in so many ways...he is too hard to pass up. His skill set is much different than that of Elliot and Fournette. He's like a modern day Marshall Faulk. And if you don't absolutely LOVE any of the QBs in the draft, and it's clear the NYG front office did not, you don't invest the next 5-7 of years of your franchise on one. I personally didn't subscribe to the idea that the 2018 draft was this 1983 or 2004 type of class for QBs. Darnold will likely end up being really good...how good remains to be seen though. Point is, there will be more out there (wait until this Bama kid and Haskins come out).

The major problem is that the Giants' OL sucks yet again. Well, at least the right side of it does. I can't believe Flowers starts in this league. It's clear they are going to need one more off season to properly address OL and pass rush. I actually like this new DC. He just needs a legit, classic NYG-type edge rusher and one or two more solid cover guys (I personally think Landon Collins stinks in coverage) to make this work. The first half of this years schedule was too brutal for them to make a legit run anyway.

Except that the "greatest show on turf" had Orlando Pace leading the way. And the Giants performance over the last 2 weeks would have been worse had they taken a QB at #2. If 2018 was the priority, they should have traded down and taken Quinten Nelson. But Barkley is a great talent, and to hope he fails is absurd.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
As a Rutgers and Giants fan...

There is no escape from bad football.

When does Hockey and College Basketball start?

I agree with the notion that the Giants shouldn't have taken Barkley at #2 overall. But equating him to Martin is ridiculous. He's been the best player on the field the first two weeks, and that includes our new highest paid WR in NFL history.

Plus, while a pass rusher would be nice (come back Vernon), we need to stock up on the O line.

Good news is...if this keeps up, we'll have the #2 overall pick again next year.
Even if he was the best player for the Giants, they still lost both game. Why? Because running backs just don't matter that much.

Reactions: shields
No. It's because offensive linemen DQ!
OL >>>>>>>>> RB
A great OL can make a mediocre RB look like a MVP. But a good RB can't do anything with a poor OL (unless you are Barry Sanders, the greatest RB in the history of the NFL).

Reactions: shields
Without him they’d have minus yards tonight.
Not saying you’re wrong either
true but he's not the only talented back in the draft. Most talented....yes but not the only one. The next RB wasn't selected until #22. Think about how much they could have received in a trade for that #2 and still ended up with a quality option.

Reactions: rutger80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT