ADVERTISEMENT

Good Politi Article on VT Win

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Thought this was well done, especially the intro part, quoted below, advising RU fans to look at the big picture more than the mistakes, given a win on the road over a solid opponent. And with regard to the "mistakes," I probably overreacted in the game thread to a few decisions, but looking back, I think I was really only annoyed with: i) the decision to go for it on 4th and goal, when a chip shot FG puts us up 3 scores; ii) the decision to go for the 53 yard FG instead of either going for it or pinning them deep in their territory by punting (which is what Greg would normally do) and iii) not returning punts (especially after the safety) when caught cleanly with lots of room. Lots of great calls, too, especially that last WR screen to Strong and the defense on the last VT drive, plus simply throwing a lot more and effectively given how much they were crowding the box on D.

But hard to get upset after a huge win, where we dominated the game statistically (422 to 320 yards and 25 to 14 first downs and 39+ minutes of possession) and could've easily won by 2+ TDs if we had just executed a bit better. Loved AK's game and I'm really liking how Strong, Miller and Fletcher are playing (despite the fumble) and was great to see Brown playing at a high level again and KM got some really tough yards. And so happy to see Powell and Bailey back. Hopefully Patel bounces back from his first bad game I can recall. 3-0 is good and Friday better be a sellout or close to it, especially with the weather likely being decent (and even if we get a shower or two).

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...in-could-lead-to-a-special-season-politi.html

Perhaps it is best, after a game like this, to keep the focus on the big picture. And the view from 30,000 feet after Rutgers defeated Virginia Tech? Well, shoot, it’s pretty darn good!

The Scarlet Knights went into Lane Stadium, one of the toughest venues in college football, and came away with a 26-23 victory. They won the game thanks to a pair of brilliant fourth-quarter plays — one on offense, one on defense — to show a level of poise that bodes well for the rest of the season.

And this was the key game on the schedule. Everyone agreed on that. Beat Virginia Tech to finish the non-conference season at 3-0, and all of a sudden, the potential is there for a truly special season. Rutgers hosts Washington, the national runners-up, on Friday night in a game that could catapult them into the national rankings.

If that happens, each week on the calendar gets a little bigger. If that happens, the boulder might start rolling down the hill to the kind of autumn we haven’t seen in these parts for a good, long time. All that was only possible with a win in Blacksburg.

You would have signed for that when the day started, Rutgers fans.

In blood.

Last edited:
Thought this was well done, especially the intro part, quoted below, advising RU fans to look at the big picture more than the mistakes, given a win on the road over a solid opponent. And with regard to the "mistakes," I probably overreacted in the game thread to a few decisions, but looking back, I think I was really only annoyed with: i) the decision to go for it on 4th and goal, when a chip shot FG puts us up 3 scores; ii) the decision to go for the 53 yard FG instead of either going for it or pinning them deep in their territory by punting (which is what Greg would normally do) and iii) not returning punts (especially after the safety) when caught cleanly with lots of room. Lots of great calls, too, especially that last WR screen to Strong and the defense on the last VT drive, plus simply throwing a lot more and effectively given how much they were crowding the box on D.

But hard to get upset after a huge win, where we dominated the game statistically (422 to 320 yards and 25 to 14 first downs and 39+ minutes of possession) and could've easily won by 2+ TDs if we had just executed a bit better. Loved AK's game and I'm really liking how Strong, Miller and Fletcher are playing (despite the fumble) and was great to see Brown playing at a high level again and KM got some really tough yards. And so happy to see Powell and Bailey back. Hopefully Patel bounces back from his first bad game I can recall. 3-0 is good and Friday better be a sellout or close to it, especially with the weather likely being decent (and even if we get a shower or two).

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...in-could-lead-to-a-special-season-politi.html

Perhaps it is best, after a game like this, to keep the focus on the big picture. And the view from 30,000 feet after Rutgers defeated Virginia Tech? Well, shoot, it’s pretty darn good!

The Scarlet Knights went into Lane Stadium, one of the toughest venues in college football, and came away with a 26-23 victory. They won the game thanks to a pair of brilliant fourth-quarter plays — one on offense, one on defense — to show a level of poise that bodes well for the rest of the season.

And this was the key game on the schedule. Everyone agreed on that. Beat Virginia Tech to finish the non-conference season at 3-0, and all of a sudden, the potential is there for a truly special season. Rutgers hosts Washington, the national runners-up, on Friday night in a game that could catapult them into the national rankings.

If that happens, each week on the calendar gets a little bigger. If that happens, the boulder might start rolling down the hill to the kind of autumn we haven’t seen in these parts for a good, long time. All that was only possible with a win in Blacksburg.

In blood.
I normally dislike/ignore Politi, but agree with the tenor of the article (at least what you posted). Will not give them clicks, and most of their stuff is paywalled, so I don't bother.

Reactions: GoRU76 and RUSK97

In blood.
Nice to have bright spots in s game.I prefer to have a brilliant illumination at all times. Not just in spots.Players don't improve unless coaching improves and IMO that is where the impasse exists.Greg has to get his staff moving at100per
Cent.I believe that we have the players to get us to one of the best seasons ever but the coaches are driving the Red Bus and it is up to them to step on the gas while at the same time keep us on the road ,

Bought Ledger today to read articles and nothing in paper. What a joke. Thanks for article.
Ledger is a complete joke and embarrassment to local team coverage.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they print the Sunday edition at 5:00pm on Saturday.

Ledger is a complete joke and embarrassment to local team coverage.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they print the Sunday edition at 5:00pm on Saturday.
It is hard to imagine for many nowadays that we all got a paper in the morning or in the afternoon or some people both to get all the news not that long ago. I had a paper route from the age of 9 I did every day after school. The Daily Advance in Morris county

The first month of cfb is a mash-up of new players, coaches and cupcake games. There isn't a lot of film on anyone yet. Then the good teams/coaches show-up with their advanced study. It will be interesting to see what Washington comes-up with. VT survived RUs 4th quarter run game better than B1G teams last year. Hope RU coaches can cook-up something to stir the pot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT