ADVERTISEMENT

Grant redshirt

Rutgersnj201

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2015
If Janarion Grant is out for the season is there any way at all for him to be back next year?

Apparently not. To get a medical redshirt you must have played in three or fewer games. This was his fourth game of the season so there is no medical redshirt available to him.

Apparently not. To get a medical redshirt you must have played in three or fewer games. This was his fourth game of the season so there is no medical redshirt available to him.
According to the NCAA rules, it's the greater number between 3 games and 30% of the season. Bowl games don't count but conference championship games do. I'm not sure what applies if we don't play in one. But if it does count, grant was out before 3.9 games.

According to the NCAA rules, it's the greater number between 3 games and 30% of the season. Bowl games don't count but conference championship games do. I'm not sure what applies if we don't play in one. But if it does count, grant was out before 3.9 games.

I believe that once you appear in a game it counts as a game. So he has played in 4 games. You don't have to complete the game for it to count as a full game. So I don't think he is eligible. I really really hope I am wrong but I think a med redshirt is not going to work. I want to be able to come back and admit I am wrong.

I am not clear on this. The rule used to be very clear that it is 20% of scheduled and decimals are rounded up, so for 20% of 12 scheduled games would be rounded up from 2.4 to 3. I believe they changed it to 30% of all contests (including post season) however I have not been able to find anything that specifically mentions how decimals are handled currently. Under the old rules it was specifically stated that decimals are rounded up.

The NCAA example is for basketball

- Team x plays 27 games
- 30% equates to 8.1 games
- The NCAA rounds this number up to 9 games
- If a player has a documented season ending injury before or during those 9 games, that player qualifies for a medical hardship waiver.

In conclusion he qualifies for this waiver. 30% of 12 games is 3.6. They round up to 4. This is not a medical redshirt, but a medical hardship waiver.

You qualify for this, they usually always approve it. I'm sure they'll start filing the paper work soon to give him the option if he so chooses.

Last edited:
It's 30% of the season. We've played 33% of our season. He DOES NOT qualify for a MRS without a "waiver."

BTW - if you play for 1-second, in a single game, it counts as a "game." There aren't partial games or %'s of games.

Last edited:
Either go as Free Agent or return to the program for one more year ...if the waiver is granted.

It's 30% of the season. We've played 33% of our season. He DOES NOT qualify for a MRS without a "waiver."

BTW - if you play for 1-second, in a single game, it counts as a "game." There aren't partial games or %'s of games.
Not correct per NCAA bylaws:

14.2.4.3.6.2 Fraction in Percent Computation. Any computation of the percent imitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest or date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number (e.g., 30 percent of a 29-game basketball schedule—8.7 games—shall be considered nine games). (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/07)
30% of 12 games is 3.6 which clearly rounds up to 4 per above rule.

The NCAA example is for basketball

- Team x plays 27 games
- 30% equates to 8.1 games
- The NCAA rounds this number up to 9 games
- If a player has a documented season ending injury before or during those 9 games, that player qualifies for a medical hardship waiver.

In conclusion he qualifies for this waiver. 30% of 12 games is 3.6. They round up to 4. This is not a medical redshirt, but a medical hardship waiver.

You qualify for this, they usually always approve it. I'm sure they'll start filing the paper work soon to give him the option if he so chooses.
right.

Not correct per NCAA bylaws:

14.2.4.3.6.2 Fraction in Percent Computation. Any computation of the percent imitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest or date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number (e.g., 30 percent of a 29-game basketball schedule—8.7 games—shall be considered nine games). (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/07)
30% of 12 games is 3.6 which clearly rounds up to 4 per above rule.
right.

Even if the rule is 3 games they can ask for the waiver based on when he left the game. He left in the 2nd quarter with a documented injury.

3 games and 2 quarters is 14 quarters. In a 12 game season there are 48 quarters. Thus he was only available and injury free in 29.2% of the season. If Rutgers can show this on their request it is likely the NCAA will grant him a hardship year of eligibility.

By the way this site lists the rules. With the whichever is greater it may actually be a 4th game if rounded up. 30% of 12 games is 3.6 games.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm
Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Even if the rule is 3 games they can ask for the waiver based on when he left the game. He left in the 2nd quarter with a documented injury.

3 games and 2 quarters is 14 quarters. In a 12 game season there are 48 quarters. Thus he was only available and injury free in 29.2% of the season. If Rutgers can show this on their request it is likely the NCAA will grant him a hardship year of eligibility.

By the way this site lists the rules. With the whichever is greater it may actually be a 4th game if rounded up. 30% of 12 games is 3.6 games.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm
Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT