ADVERTISEMENT

Great job Day 2 Wrestlers and Coaches!

Finishing 11th out of 14 teams with 32 points is not something I consider good. In most weight classes over 50% of the competitors qualified.

I don’t consider our performance approaching good. I guess with have different expectations and a different definition of a good outcome.

Your really caught up on the 11th place but the goal in this tournament is to send as many as possible to the Big Dance. If you don't finish 1st then the goal is sending as many as possible to NCAA Tournament, Most "EXPERTS" on here predicted 4 qualifiers. Were going to send 8

B1G 10 Qualifiers before at-large
10- Iowa
9-Penn State
8-Northwerstern
7-Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin
5-Illinois
3-Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland

Last edited:
Let’s continue the discussion after the NCASs. I hope to be wrong and I will eat crow. To me a top 10 finish exceeds expectations. 10 to 12 meets expectations. 13 to 20 is underperforming and worse than 20th signifies a change is needed.

I believe that a team in the best conference with great facilities, the 2nd or 3rd best recruiting area in the country, and, a great fan base should consistently finish 12 or better. I bet most objective wrestling experts would agree with this measurement.

Many teams such as NC State, Va Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern and others have less than Rutgers and outperform us.

• Haha
Reactions: gogs7 and Leonard23
Your really caught up on the 11th place but the goal in this tournament is to send as many as possible to the Big Dance. If you don't finish 1st then the goal is sending as many as possible to NCAA Tournament, Most "EXPERTS" on here predicted 4 qualifiers. Were going to send 8

B1G 10 Qualifiers before at-large
10- Iowa
9-Penn State
8-Northwerstern
7-Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin
5-Illinois
3-Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland
I predicted we would send 7 or 8. RU historically always a better dual meet team and sending many qualifiers… which is great but NCAA scoring is solely based on who scores points there unfortunately and we will be missing the top end guys to score..

RU Wrestling Fans should be ecstatic about how yesterday went. 7 Automatic Qualifiers and one set up to get an at-large. It's all about making that 33 Wrestler NCAA field and anything can happen. Rutgers will be represented in 8 of the 10 weight classes at The Greatest Sporting event in USA (imo). Let's get behind these guys! There are Huge upsets every year and I can see some of these guys making more and making some Noise!

Let's Go RU Wrestling!

Last edited:
Let’s continue the discussion after the NCASs. I hope to be wrong and I will eat crow. To me a top 10 finish exceeds expectations. 10 to 12 meets expectations. 13 to 20 is underperforming and worse than 20th signifies a change is needed.

I believe that a team in the best conference with great facilities, the 2nd or 3rd best recruiting area in the country, and, a great fan base should consistently finish 12 or better. I bet most objective wrestling experts would agree with this measurement.

Many teams such as NC State, Va Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern and others have less than Rutgers and outperform us.
RU had 2 NCAA Champions and only finished 9th at NCAA's, Top 10 with this team is unrealistic
I would expect this team to be around 20th at NCAA.
Turley/Soldano are the wrestlers you can expect bonus points from.

I think it would be interesting who will make blood round....
Peterson/Heilman/Soldano are my bets for blood round.
Turley/Boone second tier RU qualifiers
White/Clark third tier RU Qualifiers

IMO we will have 1 AA, continuing 1 streak but ended the 2 AA Streak

I predicted we would send 7 or 8. RU historically always a better dual meet team and sending many qualifiers… which is great but NCAA scoring is solely based on who scores points there unfortunately and we will be missing the top end guys to score..
Correct. Northern Colorado has a kid who can win a title at 141. They will place decently high on that kid alone. Yet we most likely would beat them pretty handily in a dual. That doesn’t make Northern Colorado a better program than Rutgers

Reactions: KidDagger
The benchmark is team score at NCAAs. Coach Goodale recently said it is “all about March.” He has preached that all season. That is the standard and let’s not change the benchmark.

I will be rooting for all our guys and want nothing more than great success for our kids and coaches. I will not be blinded to reality just because we all like our coaches. We need to perform and not accept mediocrity.

That's a wild grading system that completely ignores the reality of our history and recruiting. Our last 6 tourneys we finished 20, 13, 9, 11, 19, and 15 with multiple AAs each year, and prior to that we finished 31 and 34 with 1 AA in 2015 and 2014, and who knows what in 2013 and 2012 with no AAs:

2022: 20. Rutgers 28.5 (2 AAs: 3, 8)

2021: 13. Rutgers 37.5 (3 AAs: 4, 4, 8)

2019: 9. Rutgers 51.5 (3 AAs: 1, 1, 8)

2018: 11. Rutgers 42.5 (2 AAs: 2, 6)

2017: 19. Rutgers 24.5 (2 AAs: 6, 7)

2016: 15. Rutgers 30 (2 AAs: 4, 8)

2015: 31. Rutgers 9.5 (1 AA: 8)

2014: 34. Rutgers 11.5 (1 AA: 8)

2013: ? Rutgers 7.5 (0 AA)

2012: ? Rutgers ? (0 AA)

Until recruiting picks up and consistently lands multiple (3-5) elite recruits each year, don't expect top 10 finishes.

The benchmark is team score at NCAAs. Coach Goodale recently said it is “all about March.” He has preached that all season. That is the standard and let’s not change the benchmark.

I will be rooting for all our guys and want nothing more than great success for our kids and coaches. I will not be blinded to reality just because we all like our coaches. We need to perform and not accept mediocrity.
If it’s only about March and that’s all that matters then maybe we need to change our drafting(recruiting) strategy… a lot of people on this board want depth depth depth but as SCNJ pointed out.. one northern colordo kid( Alirez) will prolly outscore our whole team just bc he’s a title contender.

For what amounted to a down year for our standards ended up being not that bad. 8 in the Dance is very respectable. Question now is can any of them make legit noise in the NCAA Tourney.
I'm with you on this. I was disappointed with the prelim results. Our guys came back, gave us some good surprises and we have a good contingent heading to Nationals. I'm with @Bobbynieds , I think we will be around the 20 range. @bluemountain1967 , I dig your enthusiasm but I think your expectations are running a little high. With the team we have, with one of our better wrestlers leaving the team, youth/inexperience, redshirt, and injuries, we don't have the horses to predict what you are hoping for. Now if some give us some surprises, that would be fantastic. But we would need some deeper runs from a good handful and that's without being high up on the podium.

That's a wild grading system that completely ignores the reality of our history and recruiting. Our last 6 tourneys we finished 20, 13, 9, 11, 19, and 15 with multiple AAs each year, and prior to that we finished 31 and 34 with 1 AA in 2015 and 2014, and who knows what in 2013 and 2012 with no AAs:

Until recruiting picks up and consistently lands multiple (3-5) elite recruits each year, don't expect top 10 finishes.
The avg since 2016 is 14.5 so that is the benchmark and what we should be trying to exceed.

Reactions: njsportsphan
My Rutgers biased opinion, one or two of the younger guys will catch some non big ten foes and win a few matches.
With the right set up I could see a guy like Clark making a mini run to top 16.
The experience and grind of the big ten definitely pays off at ncaas when you start to catch out of conference kids that didn't see the same grueling season.

Reactions: rags
My Rutgers biased opinion, one or two of the younger guys will catch some non big ten foes and win a few matches.
With the right set up I could see a guy like Clark making a mini run to top 16.
The experience and grind of the big ten definitely pays off at ncaas when you start to catch out of conference kids that didn't see the same grueling season.
I think it sets up well for Soldano. You don’t get a ton of time to scout most of the guys beyond your first matchup. Guys will know what Soldano likes to throw but probably wont spend a ton of time practicing specifics. Funky styles can lead to some upsets.

I think Heilman can get to the blood round with a good draw and I think if we get Peterson’s best he can go the furthest of Rutgers wrestlers.

Reactions: Peteras9144
My pick is Turley to make another run. He almost beat Brands, beat DJ and is wrestling very well right now. He is going to surprise some people. Peterson has the skills to AA, I worry a little about the mental part as seemed a little overwhelmed this weekend at times but no doubt he can do it. Soldano needs the right draw IMO. If he can catch some guys hes never wrestled prior, watch out. I think Heilman and Boone get 1-2 wins. I would have thought Joey could make noise but doesnt seem to be at his best. Clark maybe pulls 1 put but IMO our most improved wrestler either way, White is there to gain experience, anything above that is a bonus.

Hopefully the draws are favorable.

No at large bid for Oliveri
Can anyone explain how Olivieri didn't get an at large bid when his RPI was 10, while McKenzie Bell of Rider with an RPI of 26, Cole Mattin of UM with an RPI of 15, and Saul Ervin who was unranked in RPI did? All 3 were also ranked lower in coaches poll.

Reactions: koleszar
Can anyone explain how Olivieri didn't get an at large bid when his RPI was 10, while McKenzie Bell of Rider with an RPI of 26, Cole Mattin of UM with an RPI of 15, and Saul Ervin who was unranked in RPI did? All 3 were also ranked lower in coaches poll.
Yeah, he got royally ass fvcked by the Selection committee. But he left it in their nonsensical hands by losing to a kid he already beat.

Olivieri has a better record against common opponents that Matt and Ervin and has the same record as bell. Total nonsense.

He went 1-3 in the B1Gs with every loss coming to a lower ranked seed. Not saying it's right but it's probably their rationale.

I would expect a better 2nd day. The first day you’re meeting the studs. The second day you’re in the WB meeting more of the talent level of our wrestlers including similar seeds. As such most of our guys wrestled to their seed. Barring an upset here and there the second day. It pretty much when the way it was supposed to. JMO!!!

Reactions: Leonard23
Head to head at conferences got him. With Ervin he must've jumped Joey in the coaches rankings he has the record and conference placement

RU has regressed back to the 2014/15 level, and possibly worse if no AA this year. Significant changes must happen with recruiting, transfers, development, coaching, or we will continue to finish toward the bottom of B1G and be irrelevant in March tourneys

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT