ADVERTISEMENT

Grello To Oklahoma

Well this isnt great. Hope we get someone. After doing so little at 165 would have figured maybe we get some consideration from gello.

Odd move Joe was really close to getting his Master's he could've had it in 1 semester. He would've been the guy at 165 for Rutgers. Maybe he's thinking I can go to Oklahoma and beat Mantonona and be the 174. Issue is Rosselli doesn't work that way it's 165 or you don't start now

Reactions: Leonard23
Did Joe ever try for 165 at Rutgers? I only remember him at 174 and 170 in high school. It can get more difficult with age to cut weight. At 174, it seemed the consensus here that it was time for him to move on. Moving to OK and projected at 165 does raise the question of why not here if it possible that he could make the weight. If he can't make 165, then we'll see if he can perform better 174 elsewhere. Obviously, he wants to wrestle.

I just found that Joe went 3-2 at 165 in the 16/17 season.

Joe was a very nice guy but had trouble winning here,
Maybe he needed a change of scenery.
Don’t think he had trouble winning “here” as much as he’s just a national qualifier lvl of wrestler… now if he transfers and then becomes a national champ contender/legit AA then that’s a diff story.

Joe Grello was a good wrestler for RU. The issue with Joe was mental. He never believed in his neutral game. He needs more confidence on his feet. For him to be successful at Oklahoma Joe needs to think less and open up his offensive attacks. Do I think he can make 165 yes. Does he have the desire to make it, we will see.

Joe's a great kid, but has become a very passive and timid wrestler. You can't fix mental issues in a wrestler by hopping to another university. If the University of Oklahoma can fix what he so desperately needs, then they achieved a huge milestone. I don't see Grello ever reach the podium, let alone qualify for the NCAA tournament. The kid is fried. I've seen it a million times.

Reactions: njsportsphan
He seemed to have trouble generating offense and thus scoring was an issue. Always seemed to be on the short end of a lot of low scoring matches.

To make a move like that, he must really want to wrestle. It is hard to imagine that he is burnt out at the same time. It is also hard to understand why he couldn't have tried for 165 at Rutgers, knowing it would all but guarantee a starting spot.

I do wish him well. I'll be following his performance at OK if he does secure a starting position on the team. It will be interesting to see how well he does. If he does better at OK, it deserves some understanding of how and why. His win percentage at Rutgers showed virtually no improvement over three seasons up to his injury in 2020. 2021 was dismal.

Sometimes change is what people need. I think it's a brilliant move for him for his last remaining year of wrestling. Good luck to Grello!

Reactions: elvis7
No way he makes 165 and be effective at that weight with the cut he will need ...if he coulda made 165 he would have and I believe Goody woulda found the money...don't forget ..grad students don’t require the money lots of you think they need ...

Does Oklahoma have a great 174 pounder?? Why does grello all of the sudden want to try to push to 165?

Makes very little sense to me. If he lands a starting job with OK, I will eat my hat.

Does Oklahoma have a great 174 pounder?? Why does grello all of the sudden want to try to push to 165?

Anthony Mantanona is their 174. He isn't a stud\great by any means, but he was an NQ last year. With that being said, Turley pinned him in the 1st period at the NCAAs to end his season as he went 0-2.

Reactions: KidDagger
Not going to fault the kid for wishing to continue his athletic career. But to transfer within striking distance of a graduate degree makes little sense. He basically has to start over because graduate credits very rarely transfer. And not sure if the graduate transfer rule still applies. The rule used to be that in order to be eligible as a grad transfer present school does not offer graduate program of receiving school. Also as was mentioned earlier in the thread graduate students are cheap compared to undergrads to keep on scholarship, so I can't imagine it was truly a money thing.

Last edited:
Not going to fault the kid for wishing to continue his athletic career. But to transfer within striking distance of a graduate degree makes little sense. He basically has to start over because graduate credits very rarely transfer. And not sure if the graduate transfer rule still applies. The rule used to be that in order to be eligible as a grad transfer present school does not offer graduate program of receiving school. Also as was mentioned earlier in the thread graduate students are cheap compared to undergrads to keep on scholarship, so I can't imagine it was truly a money thing.
If that was ever rule that is completely shameful on the NCAA/universities behind it.

Coaches are allowed to grant a waiver that allows an athlete to transfer and be eligible immediately. There are also other avenues that can be taken to immediate eligibility, see Nick Suriano after he left Penn State. This wouldn’t apply to Grello as he should be immediately eligible as a grad transfer, plus I would expect Goodale to waive any obstacles on our end that would be in Grello’s way.

Doesn't matter any longer everyone is allowed a one time transfer anywhere free of charge. No sit out or your coach signing off on it. Hell with NIL it's basically free agency without a salary cap. We want a 165 lber, find someone with money to burn and let's buy one.

I used to joke if I win the lottery the SKWC would be the best funded in the country. However, now screw that. I'll buy a National Championship team. Shouldn't take much money, hell two finalist with our current squad and we're taking home a trophy.

Grello doesn't have to start over for credits to graduate. Many courses do transfer in graduate schools too. It all depends on the academic program he is transferring to.

Grello doesn't have to start over for credits to graduate. Many courses do transfer in graduate schools too. It all depends on the academic program he is transferring to.
My experience (advising interns interested in moving to NYC while still in grad school) was very few credits transferred. When needing in the range of 50-60 credits to earn their masters and only 8-12 transferred, it is for all intents and purposes starting over.

If that was ever rule that is completely shameful on the NCAA/universities behind it.

Coaches are allowed to grant a waiver that allows an athlete to transfer and be eligible immediately. There are also other avenues that can be taken to immediate eligibility, see Nick Suriano after he left Penn State. This wouldn’t apply to Grello as he should be immediately eligible as a grad transfer, plus I would expect Goodale to waive any obstacles on our end that would be in Grello’s way.
Agreed. There shouldn't be any barrier to transfer. Especially someone that has already earned a degree.

It is not a money issue on our part. It is a free year for guys like Deb, MVB, Grello etc which are covered by the school because of Covid. Mike Messner hit the nail on the head. It is tough winning in our conference and our fan base expectations

My experience (advising interns interested in moving to NYC while still in grad school) was very few credits transferred. When needing in the range of 50-60 credits to earn their masters and only 8-12 transferred, it is for all intents and purposes starting over.
It's different depending on school and program. I transferred from Berkeley to UPenn as a grad student. I remember Penn accepting 6 courses from Cal, which I thought was a lot of classes. Also there's no rush to join the workforce when you can wrestle at his level, and learning from a different institution can broaden one's knowledge.

It is not a money issue on our part. It is a free year for guys like Deb, MVB, Grello etc which are covered by the school because of Covid. Mike Messner hit the nail on the head. It is tough winning in our conference and our fan base expectations
Aren’t expectations high in the Big 12?

Yes they are but you do not have the constant high level of 10 or 12 teams that you have in the Big Ten

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT