ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh backs student - athlete revenue sharing

SoCal_Knight

Freshman
Jun 9, 2020
I realize that this is a Men Bball board but Harbaugh's comments impact both Power 5 basketball and football. Nice to see that he's starting the conversation about this complicated issue.

"I'm calling for a system that is fair, equitable and benefits all involved," Harbaugh said. "Don't exclude the student-athletes from the profits. My opinion, you can't say you're about diversity, equity and inclusion, if you aren't willing to include the student-athletes in revenue sharing."

Revenue sharing would help balance the level of competition within leagues between the haves and the have-nots. The top teams will always be able to add more to the revenue sharing from the TV deals through donor NIL. But the gap will be smaller.

Like the idea but it opens the idea that you are paying students while you're running a debt. Share the wealth but the burden as well.

Like the idea but it opens the idea that you are paying students while you're running a debt. Share the wealth but the burden as well.

I mentioned this in another thread.

Separate Athletic Departments. Revenue sports and non-revenue sports.

Let the school fund non-revenue sports at whatever level they want (and let people complain directly about "athletics spending" if they still want)

Let the revenue sports actually be self-sufficient (which I believe they are) without having to carry the non-rev sports.

Work out media revenue sharing agreement (suppose the non-rev AD gets 25% of conference revenue to spend however they want).

Donor funds get directed to revenue or non-revenue AD as they choose.

Let the school fund non-revenue sports at whatever level they want (and let people complain directly about "athletics spending" if they still want)

Let the revenue sports actually be self-sufficient (which I believe they are) without having to carry the non-rev sports.

Work out media revenue sharing agreement (suppose the non-rev AD gets 25% of conference revenue to spend however they want).

Sounds very logical and straight forward.

Title IX. Not a lawyer. But. Title IX

Title IX. Not a lawyer. But. Title IX

Great point! Does this work:

Athletes are employees of the Revenue Sports AD

Non-Revenue AD is still offering scholarships in full compliance of Title IX

“But what about women’s scholarships? Without having to match football/basketball they will all be cut!”

Well the outraged public and taxpayers can tell Rutgers Administration and then State to fund the Non-Rev AD to keep and offer all the scholarships.

They can’t blame “Football spends money and causes sports to get cut!”.
Now it’s 100% on the “taxpayers” if sports are cut or not.

Great point! Does this work:

Athletes are employees of the Revenue Sports AD

Non-Revenue AD is still offering scholarships in full compliance of Title IX

“But what about women’s scholarships? Without having to match football/basketball they will all be cut!”

Well the outraged public and taxpayers can tell Rutgers Administration and then State to fund the Non-Rev AD to keep and offer all the scholarships.

They can’t blame “Football spends money and causes sports to get cut!”.
Now it’s 100% on the “taxpayers” if sports are cut or not.

Can’t say I know the law but I’m pretty sure compliance with title IX can’t be circumvented by the distinctions (revenue vs non- revenue sports) you’re suggesting

Can’t say I know the law but I’m pretty sure compliance with title IX can’t be circumvented by the distinctions (revenue vs non- revenue sports) you’re suggesting

That’s correct I think. I believe the issue actually lies in the one unavoidable tie to the school. Whether the football / basketball players are paying their way or not, they are still enrolled students in the universities in some capacity. Yes, even if everything about their academics are a big joke this is the one thing that is hard to change because otherwise what is the connection to the school?

Title IX is as much about providing equal access as it is financial support. So long as a school fields the revenue sports those will count as offerings.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I realize that this is a Men Bball board but Harbaugh's comments impact both Power 5 basketball and football. Nice to see that he's starting the conversation about this complicated issue.

"I'm calling for a system that is fair, equitable and benefits all involved," Harbaugh said. "Don't exclude the student-athletes from the profits. My opinion, you can't say you're about diversity, equity and inclusion, if you aren't willing to include the student-athletes in revenue sharing."

There is one sure fire way to get out of trouble. That one thing is..... blame the ncaa. Harbaugh talks about god and religion then gets caught cheating and lying about it. Not only did he do that but he cheated during covid and had kids on visits when he was not allowed to. He could have killed those kids by having them on campus. really disgraceful stuff.

What does he do to take the attention away? Blame the ncaa for not paying kids. Why didnt he say this back at stanford or michigan when he was getting million dollar contracts off the back of kids? Because like most he is a fraud.

You know Schiano, our coach, had long ago started out a progressive position on this and registered or frequently. Why do we care about this coach?

You know Schiano, our coach, had long ago started out a progressive position on this and registered or frequently. Why do we care about this coach?
I don't personally like Harbaugh but I do appreciate that he speaks the truth and doesn't just go on the podium and do coach speak like so many head coaches. He's right about revenue sharing with players when B10 and the SEC are signing billion dollar media contracts and coaches make $5-$10 million per year. The tide is turning is its just a matter of time before players get paid and they're considered employees of the university.

I don't personally like Harbaugh but I do appreciate that he speaks the truth and doesn't just go on the podium and do coach speak like so many head coaches. He's right about revenue sharing with players when B10 and the SEC are signing billion dollar media contracts and coaches make $5-$10 million per year. The tide is turning is its just a matter of time before players get paid and they're considered employees of the university.
I agree. My point is that Greg has been saying this since week before NIL. It would have been nice to acknowledge that when citing a competitor

just cut to the chase.......frig the college aspect....make it semi pro and call it a day.

just cut to the chase.......frig the college aspect....make it semi pro and call it a day.
They cant. If you take the college away then now one would watch the kids play and all these NIL deals would be dead. The only value these kids have is they play for a specific college. that is it. there worth is zero without the college.

Schiano and more specifically pikiell love NIL. This allows them to compete with the big boys without cheating at a place like rutgers. NIL gives pikiell the ability to get multiple guys that he could never ever get. He may get one guy here or one guy there but he would never put a team together to win a national title without NIL.

Again Harbaugh decided to say these things because he got in trouble.

Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT