ADVERTISEMENT

Harper is at the Nike Academy

Saw he has size 17 shoes to go along with thay wingspan. Before people jump all over me that is the shoe size of a taller man than 6-5. He is also a young junior. Wonder if he has an inch or two to grow. 6-6/6-7 with a 7 ft wing span is a legit 3.

Reactions: Scangg
Oh SNAP! @RU85inFla you brought me some good luck. My contact at Krossover.com found Harper in the database. They have 56 of his high school games from the past two seasons available for me to watch.

I couldn't find him in their database because I was searching for Ron Harper Jr. They have him in their database as Ronald Harper Jr.

You think I was close enough to get a "did you mean Ronald Harper Jr" but nooooo.

I'll try to watch three games tomorrow
Thanks. Love to hear your thoughts

zero handlers.

Also I believe he measured with a 7 ft plus wingspan at oladipo.
Corey Evans was at the Oladipo Camp. I text him and he said that he didn't have any measurement info. That doesn't mean the campers were not measured though. I asked another scout and he doesn't think measurements were done. He has never missed an Oladipo Camp. He did say that if they did wingspan measurements at the Oladipo camp it would be unlikely that they would differ by more than an inch from another camp unless one person didn't know what they were doing when they did the measurement.

The wingspan thing really caught my eye, but moreso negatively for Jalen Carey. 6'5 wingspan at 6'4 size. And then the 6'5 kid with a 6'2 wingspan. Get some S&C in, and I'm excited to see what Harper can bring.

The kid is long and has boats for shoes (size 17) so he might still be growing. His shot mechanics aren't bad but he only made 24 percent of his three-point shots for the season (he shot 40 percent overall from the field). Meanwhile he shot 3.8 three-pointers per game. Being the son of an NBA all-star I expected Harper to have a better feel for the game. He had a negative A/TO ratio in the three games I watched (seven assists vs nine turnovers), but his decision making was okay. He can dunk but I wouldn't call him explosive. Harper should get to the line more. Until he improves his three-point shooting in practice he should use his size and length to get to the line more. Harper only averaged 2.8 free throws per game for Don Bosco last season. That's really low for a 6-foot-5, 234-pounder. I felt like I was watching a nice player with good upside but not currently a four-star kid.

For a comparison, of sorts, we have Aaron Nesmith at No. 150 and I like him a ton better than Harper. Nesmith is 6-foot-5, 183 pounds. He shot 48 percent overall and 36 percent from beyond the arc last HS season.

In case you were wondering watched three Don Bosco games tonight. They were:

A loss to The Patrick School in March (looked like a state championship game). Harper had 13 pts (4-of-7 FG, 2-of-3 3FG), seven rebounds, three assists, four turnovers, one block and two steals. He made 3-of-5 at the line

Win over Linden HS (also in March). Harper had 19 pts (5-of-19 FG, 0-6 3FG), 14 rebounds, one assist, one turnover, four blocks and two steals. He made 9-of-12 at the line.

Early season game vs Gill St. Bernard’s (in Dec. 2016). Harper had 17 pts (5-of-11 FG, 1-of-2 3FG), two rebounds, three assists, four turnovers, one block and no steals. He made 6-of-8 at the line.

About what I expected. My understanding is that he made a leap this summer, so I look forward to seeing how his game has improved this summer.

The kid is long and has boats for shoes (size 17) so he might still be growing. His shot mechanics aren't bad but he only made 24 percent of his three-point shots for the season (he shot 40 percent overall from the field). Meanwhile he shot 3.8 three-pointers per game. Being the son of an NBA all-star I expected Harper to have a better feel for the game. He had a negative A/TO ratio in the three games I watched (seven assists vs nine turnovers), but his decision making was okay. He can dunk but I wouldn't call him explosive. Harper should get to the line more. Until he improves his three-point shooting in practice he should use his size and length to get to the line more. Harper only averaged 2.8 free throws per game for Don Bosco last season. That's really low for a 6-foot-5, 234-pounder. I felt like I was watching a nice player with good upside but not currently a four-star kid.

For a comparison, of sorts, we have Aaron Nesmith at No. 150 and I like him a ton better than Harper. Nesmith is 6-foot-5, 183 pounds. He shot 48 percent overall and 36 percent from beyond the arc last HS season.

A loss to The Patrick School in March (looked like a state championship game). Harper had 13 pts (4-of-7 FG, 2-of-3 3FG), seven rebounds, three assists, four turnovers, one block and two steals. He made 3-of-5 at the line

Win over Linden HS (also in March). Harper had 19 pts (5-of-19 FG, 0-6 3FG), 14 rebounds, one assist, one turnover, four blocks and two steals. He made 9-of-12 at the line.

Early season game vs Gill St. Bernard’s (in Dec. 2016). Harper had 17 pts (5-of-11 FG, 1-of-2 3FG), two rebounds, three assists, four turnovers, one block and no steals. He made 6-of-8 at the line.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a kid that with coaching and effort may develop nicely.

When looking at Harper, he has everything you want from a physical perspective. Tall, wingspan, big kid.

At the moment, he is not a shooter. Although, with one easy change, he will rise his percentage. Not talking about too complicated of things,either. Just gotta move on offense more. Stay active in the spacing.

I wonder how Aaron Nesmith would have done against the competition that Ron Harper Jr. played against and vis-versa.

I wonder how Aaron Nesmith would have done against the competition that Ron Harper Jr. played against and vis-versa.
Don Bosco plays a tough schedule, I'm not familiar with Nesmith's HS schedule. The kid is explosive & attacks the rim like it spit at his mom + he can shoot it. I expect Nesmith to move up in the rankings in our next update...at least I pushed for a bump.

As for Harper I really like his upside

Hoping the late part of last year and summer are the start of something big for Harper, and that he continues to grow as a senior (with some guidance of what to work on from Pike and staff). Looking forward to seeing him in Scarlet.

I agree with some of these other posters regarding his summer improvement. Seems like he is hitting is stride. Looking forward to a huge senior season from Harper

Side note as a die hard Knicks fan in the 90s I hated his dad but I'll let it slide

To me Harper is an intriguing recruit. Yes, he needs to refine his body and his basketball skill set. While no one ever knows how recruits will turn out, my sense is this is the type of prospect that could be a very solid four year college player. We can grow a program with kids like this on the team. I like his position flexibility and the possibility that he could grow to 6'8" is another plus.

I have heard that his teammate - Ellington - desires to play basketball as well as football. I have no idea what his upside is in football, but in terms of basketball Harper is a far better prospect. I do not think Ellington would even receive much playing time at RU, whereas Harper has the potential to start for 2 years, and, regardless of starting role, should be a significant contributor. As for Ellington,if he believes he is a high level D1 basketball player he should pursue his dreams, but frankly, there are folks giving him real bad advice.

It's because in basketball recruiting, when a kid gives a verbal commitment 99.9% of his recruitment comes to a stop.

Unlike football where a verbal commitment doesn't mean dog poo. Kids verbal and then still visit other schools, and schools continue to recruit him and kids sometime even pickup offers after they have already verbally committed to a program. Not to mention the kids who flip the day before signing day. There is an entire culture in football recruiting about flipping kids, what the hell lol

There is zero chance I'll ever cover football recruiting because my reaction to a football commitment is: big whoop. Talk to me when he signs.

We had the Kwe Parker decommit a few years ago. In hindsight, maybe a good thing. I know he already left Tennessee.

I'm just glad he didn't come here. He was supposedly very athletic but he only got 1 ppg at Tennessee. I'm sure if he came to RU he would have transferred as well.I seem to remember that some RU fans wanted him very badly. That is how it is with fans over recruiting.

I'm just glad he didn't come here. He was supposedly very athletic but he only got 1 ppg at Tennessee. I'm sure if he came to RU he would have transferred as well.I seem to remember that some RU fans wanted him very badly. That is how it is with fans over recruiting.

and Wake Forest and Nebraska and Kansas st and Clemson and Virginia Tech all wanted him. Not exactly chopped liver offers.

No he wasn't chopped liver but he just seemed like a very athletic guy who really only dunked.

No he wasn't chopped liver but he just seemed like a very athletic guy who really only dunked.

Sounds like what a lot of people are saying about McClung, but you're pumped about him...

Kwe decided Tennessee was a better spot for him and made that decision. It didn't pan out, but hopefully it will for him moving forward. Let these 17-19 year old kids breathe and let it go.

Sounds like what a lot of people are saying about McClung, but you're pumped about him...

Kwe decided Tennessee was a better spot for him and made that decision. It didn't pan out, but hopefully it will for him moving forward. Let these 17-19 year old kids breathe and let it go.

McClung can do more than dunk

McClung definitely does a lot more than just dunk. Parker rarely even saw the floor at Tennessee. He committed to RU than stiffed us.

Russ, what did you think of Harper's defense? With his measurables, especially that wingspan, I'm thinking he can be a lockdown defender at the 3 spot, though he would need good feet and lateral movement.

Regarding Kwe Parker, per Eddie at CC meeting, Kwe saw Nigel Johnson play and with Nigel and Corey in the backcourt felt he wouldn't get the playing time so he decommitted.

McClung will have better coaching

Reactions: jrh51
Russ, what did you think of Harper's defense? With his measurables, especially that wingspan, I'm thinking he can be a lockdown defender at the 3 spot, though he would need good feet and lateral movement.
He was a slightly better than average defender, his length helps. He has good feet but does need to improve his lateral quickness

Good observation. Similar to what I posted here back when he committed.

I would take McClung over Parker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT