ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone been successful in selling Rutgers Basketball tickets on SeatGeek?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013

I will be at Rutgers Football game against Penn State and listed my (2) tickets (center court between the benches) on SeatGeek for the Howard Game for $65. each. I also not available for a few other non-conference games.

In the past with Stubhub, these discounted tickets would be gone quickly.

I donate the money from the sale of these tickets to Rutgers Baseball each year.

I will be at Rutgers Football game against Penn State and listed my (2) tickets (center court between the benches) on SeatGeek for the Howard Game for $65. each. I also not available for a few other non-conference games.

In the past with Stubhub, these discounted tickets would be gone quickly.

I donate the money from the sale of these tickets to Rutgers Baseball each year.

I know a lot of RU fans who still actually haven't been to the RAC. If you are interested in selling them to me, I could gift them to some RU people looking for something to do something on that Friday night or other OOC games. You can send me an email at greg.ginn@fairwaymc.com or text me at 732-742-4367......Go RU....!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Be very weary of Seatgeek. If you sell and wish to get paid they require lots of sensitive information and unnecessary information. They require you not only to give bank account and drivers license and SS number but I refused. We’re fighting with their legal department. I refuse to give this company that type of information. This may go to small claims court. Seatgeek DID NOT give out terms and conditions when they’ll sold the tickets. They said requirements are implied.
note, seatgeek has zero stars on better business bureau rankings. They’re an international based- Israeli company. They’ve been sued often, often class action lawsuits. Be afraid. I’m likely to forfeit the $70 I made to avoid giving them this information.

Be very weary of Seatgeek. If you sell and wish to get paid they require lots of sensitive information and unnecessary information. They require you not only to give bank account and drivers license and SS number but I refused. We’re fighting with their legal department. I refuse to give this company that type of information. This may go to small claims court. Seatgeek DID NOT give out terms and conditions when they’ll sold the tickets. They said requirements are implied.
note, seatgeek has zero stars on better business bureau rankings. They’re an international based- Israeli company. They’ve been sued often, often class action lawsuits. Be afraid. I’m likely to forfeit the $70 I made to avoid giving them this information.
Sounds like a feature, not a bug. Classic bait and switch where they make it more costly to fight it than to get your money back. Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #1: Once you have their money, you never give it back.

I think you are mistaken about SeatGeek. They were founded in the US, and are based in New York. I think the founders are from Philadelphia. Although they are venture-funded, as far as I can tell, most of that venture capital is from the US. They are expanding internationally, and have acquired some overseas ticket websites, but that is different than being based overseas. (By the way, the same is true about StubHub. StubHub was acquired by London-based Viagogo a few years ago, and the combined company was renamed StubHub Holdings, based in New York.)

As far as providing bank information, SeatGeek only seems to offer direct deposit as a payment option. But as far as I can tell, you can't even list your tickets without providing your bank information to process payment. This is an advantage of StubHub, where you can be paid via direct deposit (you also have to provide bank information), via PayPal, or via a prepaid credit card.

As far as providing your SSN, this is an IRS requirement. Starting in 2023, ticket resale sites like StubHub or SeatGeek have to issue a Form 1099-K for tax purposes. They need your SSN or TIN to comply with this law. Additionally, both StubHub and SeatGeek have to comply with federal "know your customer" rules regarding anti-money-laundering and anti-terrorism. Both platforms can use your personal information to comply.

As far as BBB ratings, I see a 1.05 F rating for SeatGeek (https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/event-ticket-sales/seatgeek-0121-117089) and a 1.04 F rating for StubHub (https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/event-ticket-sales/stubhub-inc-0121-87159166). I'm not sure the difference is meaningful (plus I question the reliability of BBB ratings).

Based on the above, I don't see much of a difference in risk for using SeatGeek vs StubHub (other than StubHub offering additional payment options).

Beyond the above, I think the main advantage of StubHub is that it is larger, and has a larger customer base. So there are many more potential buyers who will see your tickets for sale on StubHub (pus the additional payment options indicated above). I think the main advantages of SeatGeek is that they are affiliated with Rutgers, which makes selling your tickets a lot easier, and their fees are lower than StubHub so the price is lower to the seller and you get more of the money when your tickets sell.

Are we still permitted to sell on StubHub now that Rutgers has partnered with SeatGeek? I have a SH account and am comfortable selling there if need be, but do not have a seat geek account and really don't feel like opening one up

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He probably has not sold them because Rutgers fans want center court seats for 15 dollars not 65. It’s why you get so many fans looking for seats on the ticket forum. They want to pay next to nothing for them but then criticize you if you sell your seats for market rate or above to anyone else. Rutgers fans gonna Rutgers fans.

Are we still permitted to sell on StubHub now that Rutgers has partnered with SeatGeek? I have a SH account and am comfortable selling there if need be, but do not have a seat geek account and really don't feel like opening one up
You can sell on StubHub, the process is just more manual. You’ll need to transfer the tickets to the buyer’s email via the Rutgers ticket app or website. SeatGeek is directly linked, so once they sell no action is needed on your end.

It’s a negligible difference in work. The main differences are network size (StubHub is bigger) and seller fees (StubHub 15%, SeatGeek 10%).

This has been a useful thread. I've had a Stub Hub account for several years. It's linked to my PayPal account so I don't recall ever having to provide any overly sensitive information. I also had to sell my Howard tickets and I put them on StubHub for "face value" which for me, is $200 total for two tickets and parking. They sold after about 5 days. I guess the buyer actually paid more than that including the Stub Hub fees.

Since Seat Geek partners with RU, I considered using them but decided against it. Based on what I'm reading here, it seems like I made the right call. For me, it would be better if RU went back to partnering with Stub Hub. But at this point in time, there seems to be no significant benefit to creating a Seat Geek account.

Reactions: bac2therac
It's a tax thing. It's income so they need to issue tax forms.

On Edit: Should have read whole thread before responding. Upstream covered it 100%.

Reactions: GORU2014
Does anyone know the process for a Rutgers Season Ticketholder to list tickets on Stubhub?
SeatGeek seems to have a very limited following.

Any help is appreciated.
It's all code based, i get the hard tickets to the code is listed on the actual ticket
Not sure if it's listed on the digital tickets

It's all code based, i get the hard tickets to the code is listed on the actual ticket
Not sure if it's listed on the digital tickets
StubHub is no longer code based for Rutgers because they switched the partnership. Manual transfer through Rutgers app/site

Reactions: RCBeta79
SeatGeak is awesome. UI is much better than StubHub IMO and the info issue is apparently a new law so not their fault they are just complying with new laws
Basically the only reason to use StubHub at this point is the size of the buyer/seller network. Everything else is better with SeatGeek, and even Ticketmaster requires tax info now for sellers (as you and others stated it’s a regulatory issue following the $600 IRS threshold announcement).

Reactions: Scangg
Basically the only reason to use StubHub at this point is the size of the buyer/seller network. Everything else is better with SeatGeek, and even Ticketmaster requires tax info now for sellers (as you and others stated it’s a regulatory issue following the $600 IRS threshold announcement).
I've just had my 8th transaction last week (for the past 6th months). Everything was cross listed on both Seat Geek and Stub Hub. 100% of my sales were on Stub hub.

It couldn't be any easier to list on SH as it is on the Geek. The only thing I do not like is when they changed policy to pay out AFTER the event to make sure there were no issues. Since they had my credit card as backup I'm not sure why the need. (can't tell you if SG does that since I haven't been able to sell one damn thing so far on that site).

With regard to the SS# and bank account info. Just wait till next year when this applies to everything (paypal, venmo, etc I think) You'll get to fill out a new schedule C to report your Net business earnings to the additional 85,000 IRS agents. Ebay is already there too. If you sell $600 worth of stuff but paid $599 for it you'll have to fill it out to report the dollar earned lol.

Some of the posters sound like they still live in the paper ticket era. You don't have to even enter any codes, upload PDFs, etc..(although about 6 different options exist) you can just do a mobile transfer from the original source once the buyer's email is shared.

BTW, I'm not just talking about Rutgers Tix. I'm not somebody who bought tix just to sell (not that there's anything wrong with that lol). Some of my transactions were concert tix I couldn't make due to a bad back issue.

Last edited:
It's why I prefer to sell on this site. Trusted sellers, trusted buyers, Rutgers fans and easy transfer via the Rutgers website.

Now, getting RU fans to actually buy the tix... that's another story!

• Haha
Reactions: RUBlackout
It's why I prefer to sell on this site. Trusted sellers, trusted buyers, Rutgers fans and easy transfer via the Rutgers website.

....yeah cross listed here too with a 30 days exclusive...NADA!

LOL
All good, I just prefer getting them into the hands of Rutgers fans
The Michigan fans in front of us last year were the absolute worst - made the game a lot less enjoyable for everyone around us
JDS..absolutely tried.... extra firewall enacted for PSU, UM, OSU fans..no worries. Open market for those games LAST RESORT.

JDS..absolutely tried.... extra firewall enacted for PSU, UM, OSU fans..no worries. Open market for those games LAST RESORT.

LOL
All good, I just prefer getting them into the hands of Rutgers fans
The Michigan fans in front of us last year were the absolute worst - made the game a lot less enjoyable for everyone around us
[/QUOTE]

agree man - end of the day, if RU fans don't want them for cost, visiting fans will scoop them up. Hopefully w/Dylan and Ace in the fold next year, we won't have to worry about this:)

I am pretty sure rutgers ticket office dumps tickets on stubhub. I bought basketball tickets on stubuhub and it said the seller was rutgers dynamic pricing.
Very fishy

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I've had to sell a few FB tickets this year. In the past when no one on the boards is interested I list on StubHub. This year, I tried SeatGeek. Didnt get any bites. Moved them to StubHub and all sold quickly. Surprisingly, most were bought by RU fans.

I think you are mistaken about SeatGeek. They were founded in the US, and are based in New York. I think the founders are from Philadelphia. Although they are venture-funded, as far as I can tell, most of that venture capital is from the US. They are expanding internationally, and have acquired some overseas ticket websites, but that is different than being based overseas. (By the way, the same is true about StubHub. StubHub was acquired by London-based Viagogo a few years ago, and the combined company was renamed StubHub Holdings, based in New York.)

As far as providing bank information, SeatGeek only seems to offer direct deposit as a payment option. But as far as I can tell, you can't even list your tickets without providing your bank information to process payment. This is an advantage of StubHub, where you can be paid via direct deposit (you also have to provide bank information), via PayPal, or via a prepaid credit card.

As far as providing your SSN, this is an IRS requirement. Starting in 2023, ticket resale sites like StubHub or SeatGeek have to issue a Form 1099-K for tax purposes. They need your SSN or TIN to comply with this law. Additionally, both StubHub and SeatGeek have to comply with federal "know your customer" rules regarding anti-money-laundering and anti-terrorism. Both platforms can use your personal information to comply.

As far as BBB ratings, I see a 1.05 F rating for SeatGeek (https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/event-ticket-sales/seatgeek-0121-117089) and a 1.04 F rating for StubHub (https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/event-ticket-sales/stubhub-inc-0121-87159166). I'm not sure the difference is meaningful (plus I question the reliability of BBB ratings).

Based on the above, I don't see much of a difference in risk for using SeatGeek vs StubHub (other than StubHub offering additional payment options).

Beyond the above, I think the main advantage of StubHub is that it is larger, and has a larger customer base. So there are many more potential buyers who will see your tickets for sale on StubHub (pus the additional payment options indicated above). I think the main advantages of SeatGeek is that they are affiliated with Rutgers, which makes selling your tickets a lot easier, and their fees are lower than StubHub so the price is lower to the seller and you get more of the money when your tickets sell.
Good breakdown. My guess on BBB rating (and just a guess) is that early on many buyers were scammed with tickets that were used / no longer available due to static bar codes. New tech makes such scamming more difficult. Though surprised that may not have improved ratings. I used SeatGeek recently to buy tickets (partner with ballclub) and had no issues. Fast and convenient from Buyer side.

My Gtown and Howard tix went unsold on SeatGeek. I messed up the dates bc I was travelling and would have rather gifted them.

$30 for parking is OUTRAGEOUS..its not a tailgating event...should be $20 max

Reactions: dollarbill
My Gtown and Howard tix went unsold on SeatGeek. I messed up the dates bc I was travelling and would have rather gifted them.

$30 for parking is OUTRAGEOUS..its not a tailgating event...should be $20 max
I could see them charging $30 for the lot closer in to the building but not the entire lot; it's a rip

They do flex pricing for tix (e.g., tix cost more for Purdue than it does for St. Peters), you do it for parking as well

Purdue comes into town, people aren't happy about $30 but then they flashback to 2021 and RHJ's game winner and pay it without blinking

Same doesn't apply for the Peacocks. It can, and should, be done like that

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
I would be pissed off at any season ticket holder selling their seats to an obnoxious fan of the other team.

They do flex pricing for tix (e.g., tix cost more for Purdue than it does for St. Peters), you do it for parking as well

Purdue comes into town, people aren't happy about $30 but then they flashback to 2021 and RHJ's game winner and pay it without blinking

Same doesn't apply for the Peacocks. It can, and should, be done like that
$1.00 hotdogs, popcorn and water helped make up the difference. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT