ADVERTISEMENT

Historians to Discuss Link Between Rutgers' Founder and Slavery

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Historians will discuss the connections between Rev. Jacob Rutsen Hardenbergh, the principal founder of Rutgers University, his family and African-American abolitionist leader Sojourner Truth, who was at one time their slave, plus stories of other early slave-holding leaders of Rutgers College at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, June 17 at the Old Dutch Parsonage in Somerville.

Speakers include:

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...torians-to-discuss-link-between-rutgers-found

I am all for exploring all aspects of history, particularly when it comes to Rutgers and New Jersey, but I am getting a bit tired of acting as if anyone who owned a slave should be expunged from our collective memory. I fear this is where this kind of "discussion" will lead.

I am all for exploring all aspects of history, particularly when it comes to Rutgers and New Jersey, but I am getting a bit tired of acting as if anyone who owned a slave should be expunged from our collective memory. I fear this is where this kind of "discussion" will lead.
so you fear that the first few presidents of the US will be expunged from history?

Slavery is a stain on our history that shouldn't be ignored. Rutgers has done a very good job with this and has not lead the discussion in this direction. It's been much more about honest reflection, acknowledgement, and academic examination rather than finger pointing.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT