ADVERTISEMENT

Holloway on athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmmm….

“Mr. Chairman, officers of the Executive Committee, Senators, faculty, staff, students, and alumni, good afternoon. Thank you for inviting me to speak before the University Senate.

I am now at the start of my second year as Rutgers president. I don't need to explain to any of you how unusual my first year was. I did all of the things that any first-year president would do: I met the Rutgers community, participated in a wide range of town halls, introduced special university guests before their talks, had small-group meetings with donors, held one-on-one conversations with local, state, and federal legislators, worked intensively with university administrators, met with faculty on specific topics of interest, and, to my delight, visited a handful of classes as a guest lecturer. All of the foregoing, of course, was done remotely.”
The OP posted something different, if that’s not correct, then I stand corrected. Merely going by what was represented in the beginning of the thread.

Donating to RU athletics today to acknowledge President Holloway's support and performance vs. UM.

The OP posted something different, if that’s not correct, then I stand corrected. Merely going by what was represented in the beginning of the thread.
I posted only what he said about athletics. I didn't think anybody would want to read the whole thing.

Some folks just look for something to be offended by.

Counting words in from the start of a quoted portion of an address and being completely wrong to assume it was the very beginning of the address, is the stuff of small minded people. Smdh.
My comment had nothing to do with how early it appeared in his address. I was referring to specifically his comments about the Athletics Department. In his comments about athletics, he led with racial activism. It's a demonstration of misplaced priorities.

• Sad
Reactions: RUnTeX
My comment had nothing to do with how early it appeared in his address. I was referring to specifically his comments about the Athletics Department. In his comments about athletics, he led with racial activism. It's a demonstration of misplaced priorities.
Keep in mind that his audience -- the University Senate -- has lots of people who are what you might call social justice warriors. It makes sense to emphasize to them that many athletes are what we now call people of color and are working for causes that social justice warriors like. It's the argument most likely to persuade them, or at least put them on the defensive.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that his audience -- the University Senate -- has lots of people who are what you might call social justice warriors. It makes sense to emphasize to them that many athletes are what we now call people of color and are working for causes that social justice warriors like. It's the argument most likely to persuade them, or at least put them on the defensive.
Misplaced priorities. He's not managing a Burger King; he runs a major state university.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT