ADVERTISEMENT

Holy UCONN Baseball

Aug 19, 2007
They started season 3-9....We beat them 2 of 3 and they went 0-2 in Big East tournament but now are sitting in NCAA Regional Championship and have to lose 2 in a row to miss out on Final Sweet 16...You have to love the NCAA Baseball Tournament! ...Look at UConn schedule and record this season...How did they get a spot?

Last edited:
They started season 3-9....We beat them 2 of 3 and they went 0-2 in Big East tournament but now are sitting in NCAA Regional Championship and have to lose 2 in a row to miss out on Final Sweet 16...You have to love the NCAA Baseball Tournament! ...Look at UConn schedule and record this season...How did they get a spot?

They play an impressive out of conference schedule.

I said last season UConn baseball and it’s HC know what they are doing. Pitching is always very good, sound fundamentals and solid hitting. Recruiting pitching from places where we never have . Oh… they also play a tougher OC schedule and play in a cold weather climate. So the excuses some use about starting in February is just that…. It is a convenient excuse over used.

• Love
Reactions: miket007
I said last season UConn baseball and it’s HC know what they are doing. Pitching is always very good, sound fundamentals and solid hitting. Recruiting pitching from places where we never have . Oh… they also play a tougher OC schedule and play in a cold weather climate. So the excuses some use about starting in February is just that…. It is a convenient excuse over used.
It's always blown my mind how they have such a competitive team on a yearly basis with there location...

We RU fans act all haughty when it comes to UConn but their AD has been very successful. More than RUs you absolutely have to admit.

MBB: 6 NCs (they are frankly as elite as NC, UK, KU, Duke)
WBB: 11 NCs (the best program in ncaaa history…Tennessee now takes a bow to UConn)
Men’s Soc: 2 NCs

Reactions: Fat Koko
We RU fans act all haughty when it comes to UConn but their AD has been very successful. More than RUs you absolutely have to admit.

MBB: 6 NCs (they are frankly as elite as NC, UK, KU, Duke)
WBB: 11 NCs (the best program in ncaaa history…Tennessee now takes a bow to UConn)
Men’s Soc: 2 NCs
They're dogshit at football and that's the only sport that matters at the end of the day.

It's always blown my mind how they have such a competitive team on a yearly basis with there location...
Why? They have a real HC who is not afraid of schedules and recruiting the western states . It was like when I was criticized for suggesting Texas and California. Curious to see who he brings onboard as PC. We are in the B1G and if teams like Indiana, Illinois, Maryland who are colder climate teams can do it we can find a way back to the Hill era. With 4 west coast teams entering there are absolutely no more excuses left.

Why? They have a real HC who is not afraid of schedules and recruiting the western states . It was like when I was criticized for suggesting Texas and California. Curious to see who he brings onboard as PC. We are in the B1G and if teams like Indiana, Illinois, Maryland who are colder climate teams can do it we can find a way back to the Hill era. With 4 west coast teams entering there are absolutely no more excuses left.
Maryland has been to the regionals 9 times, 5 as a member of the B1G. Indiana 10 times, including 9 of the last 15 years, and Illinois 13 times. RU has more appearances with 15, but none since 2007.

Maryland has been to the regionals 9 times, 5 as a member of the B1G. Indiana 10 times, including 9 of the last 15 years, and Illinois 13 times. RU has more appearances with 15, but none since 2007.
And the Rutgers HC of baseball back in 2007 was Fred Hill. First time I saw coach Hill was back in 1958 at Soveral Field in East Orange NJ. Playing 3rd base …Perhaps one of New Jersey top Amateur Leagues ( Essex County) the Soverals were state champions numerous times. I was 8 years old and amazed how good these players were. Later on down the road played against his Clifford Scott and Legion Teams of the 60’s . Great guy, coach and man.

And the Rutgers HC of baseball back in 2007 was Fred Hill. First time I saw coach Hill was back in 1958 at Soveral Field in East Orange NJ. Playing 3rd base …Perhaps one of New Jersey top Amateur Leagues ( Essex County) the Soverals were state champions numerous times. I was 8 years old and amazed how good these players were. Later on down the road played against his Clifford Scott and Legion Teams of the 60’s . Great guy, coach and man.
As kids my friends and I used to walk down to Cameron Field in South Orange to watch ECBL games. My Father played for the West Orange Pirates before and after WWII. Don't remember if that was the ECBL or not.He also played with Monte Irvin at Orange HS.

I remember the East Orange Soverals, South Orange Orioles , Maplewood Maples , West Orange ( played at Colgate Field) Red Sox … can’t remember the others but I would assume Belleville, Bloomfield . Post WWII there were many leagues featuring college players and some former minor league guys. Played in the Union County League as a high school junior and the Maples ECL and Irvington entry UCL.

I remember the East Orange Soverals, South Orange Orioles , Maplewood Maples , West Orange ( played at Colgate Field) Red Sox … can’t remember the others but I would assume Belleville, Bloomfield . Post WWII there were many leagues featuring college players and some former minor league guys. Played in the Union County League as a high school junior and the Maples ECL and Irvington entry UCL.
Years later a friend of mine played SS and pitched for South Orange. Saw him smash a couple up by the railroad tracks in Left. He also played for the Montville Shamrocks in the Morris Co League.

I remember the many great pitchers who played summers in the League .Can’t remember the famous pitcher ( a Dentist from Livingston) Doc ??? the guy never lost. Used to ice skate at Cameron Field . It t had that deep left field with the train tracks…iconic time of baseball.

Reactions: knightfan7
I remember the many great pitchers who played summers in the League .Can’t remember the famous pitcher ( a Dentist from Livingston) Doc ??? the guy never lost. Used to ice skate at Cameron Field . It t had that deep left field with the train tracks…iconic time of baseball.
The guy who pitched into his 50's? Can't remember his name.

Reactions: RUBOB72
They're dogshit at football and that's the only sport that matters at the end of the day.
You keep saying that to yourself, but RU would give its collective left nut to have just 1 NC in any of those sports they do. Sure we are in the b1g and will make more money than they do, but in terms of success as an AD, there’s no comparison. Sometimes you have to be willing call a spade a spade. By the way, their football is indeed dog shit, to borrow your colorful metaphor, but we’re not exactly Bama (even if significantly better now).

Reactions: Fat Koko
You keep saying that to yourself, but RU would give its collective left nut to have just 1 NC in any of those sports they do. Sure we are in the b1g and will make more money than they do, but in terms of success as an AD, there’s no comparison. Sometimes you have to be willing call a spade a spade. By the way, their football is indeed dog shit, to borrow your colorful metaphor, but we’re not exactly Bama (even if significantly better now).
Compared to UConn, RU football might as well be Bama. UConn would've went 2-10 with our schedule last year...beating only Wagner and Temple. We would've won 10+ games with their schedule, only losing to Tennessee and maybe Duke. UConn opted to go homeless in football because the AAC was too tough for them.

Compared to UConn, RU football might as well be Bama. UConn would've went 2-10 with our schedule last year...beating only Wagner and Temple. We would've won 10+ games with their schedule, only losing to Tennessee and maybe Duke. UConn opted to go homeless in football because the AAC was too tough for them.
…and if they somehow end up in the b12 or ACC because the ACC is raided, they will be just fine. CFB, is just not that important in New England (at least at the big time level…it never has been). Money wise, we are good to go…AD dept wise, they are just fine.

As kids my friends and I used to walk down to Cameron Field in South Orange to watch ECBL games. My Father played for the West Orange Pirates before and after WWII. Don't remember if that was the ECBL or not.He also played with Monte Irvin at Orange HS.
Started playing in those semi-pro leagues in 1957 when I was 15 yrs old. Leagues & teams were full of former minor & big league ball players, some college ballplayers & just plain old great country ballplayers. Best of the several leagues I played in was the New York-New Jersey League. Tom Acker from Patterson & a former Cincinnati Red pitched for the Poughkeepsie Hoe-Bowls He was about 31 & had plenty left. The Hoe-Bowls were made up of all former pros, at a time when the minors started at D ball.

Reactions: RUBOB72
…and if they somehow end up in the b12 or ACC because the ACC is raided, they will be just fine. CFB, is just not that important in New England (at least at the big time level…it never has been). Money wise, we are good to go…AD dept wise, they are just fine.
Sorry, as far as college sports go football rules the roost. If you believe otherwise you're naive or just want to defend Uconn. When you get 100000 fans regularly attending football games you realize how important football is to college sports. The power 4 will ultimately determine who even plays in the ncaa basketball tourney. Basketball doesn't control anything over football concerns. Pity Uconn-- by the way in reality they'd give up their championship to be in the BIG.

Started playing in those semi-pro leagues in 1957 when I was 15 yrs old. Leagues & teams were full of former minor & big league ball players, some college ballplayers & just plain old great country ballplayers. Best of the several leagues I played in was the New York-New Jersey League. Tom Acker from Patterson & a former Cincinnati Red pitched for the Poughkeepsie Hoe-Bowls He was about 31 & had plenty left. The Hoe-Bowls were made up of all former pros, at a time when the minors started at D ball.
BTW: The Pitcher’s name was “ Doc “ Pollack”….a true legend in that era of semi pro / amateur Baseball in NJ.

Last edited:

Coach Hill was great. My legion coach played with him and said he was an outstanding football and baseball player.

He was both football and baseball coach at MSU before taking over the reigns of RU baseball and his practices and style reflected the hard-nosed mindset of a football guy.

Owens has a bit of the same temperament and background, having worked his way up from D-3. I like him. Even though it was hard to see Joe Lit go, it was past the time to move on and Owens has been successful everywhere for a reason.

The politics of NJHS Baseball take some time to navigate, but are also a distraction. I’m sure he ruffled some feathers by being so aggressive with transfers and not being a “NJ guy” is an issue for some people.

Hobbs knows his way around the sport and state. The new pitching coach McCrae is legit and facilities improvements are coming. I’m confident the program is headed in the right direction, despite the disappointment of this season.

Do we have talent ? Yes for the past several years under him. Pitching is suspect even though even there we have seen potential. Why all the arm injuries just bad luck? Losing some good pitchers dose not help. My youngest son who was a highly thought of player in the late 80’s- 90’s was the first 8 year old allowed by coach Hill to attend his summer camps. I know not a big deal but Fred knew potential talent and I thank him still for showing young players that being mentally and physically ready makes you better all around …especially in life.

The thing that many BiG fans might not realize is that Maryland sucked at baseball for most of the history of mankind. That's masked by some very recent success.

Erik Bakich came to College Park in about 2012, and they started getting more serious about it. Michigan poached him after a few seasons, but John Szefc kept it going, and won two consecutive regionals (he was eventually poached by Virginia Tech). The next guy also did well, before he was poached. But It's only been since the last ACC season (not even close to an ACC championship, but won the South Carolina Regional) that they really ever accomplished anything.

So I'm not surprised to hear that Rutgers has better overall history, and I see no reason Rutgers can't get back there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT