ADVERTISEMENT

How bad a loss is the senior who quit?

Why such a negative connotation? The "senior"s name is Pete Lipari by the way and most here realize not only what it takes to earn a spot in the lineup and then fend off challengers who want to take it from them. The way you titled this and then responded is very classless.

Look Peter was a loyal member of this team who busted his ass, trained hard with his teammates for 4+ years and was probably not going to wear a singlet representing RU in his last go round. That being said he should go somewhere to gain a starting spot. End of story.

thread title is wrong but is the sentiment wrong???
today's culture of participation medals has permeated into college. where is the pride and commitment to team. wngarbarini isn't there a bond in the wrestling room? aren't there several wrestlers at each weight?
does the starter not benefit from wrestling other competent top wrestlers in practice? so let me get this right, Peter has battled 4+ years to benefit himself and his team and probably wrestled many young men who never got a chance to wear a R singlet or less then he did, and then a promising freshman joins the team and the room and beats him out for the right to begin the season as a starter and the kid probably would benefit greatly going against Pete all season, but instead of being a good teammate and soldier he bolts. how is that the appropriate move? did Pete leaving make Rutgers wrestling better or the wrestling room better? or did his leaving make pete better? I personally am sick of selfish athletes, when you join a team you become a teammate and you lose your individuality.
I wish pete good health and fortune in life, but please do not tell me he did the right thing. he screwed Rutgers wrestling, my opinion.

today's culture of participation medals has permeated into college. where is the pride and commitment to team. wngarbarini isn't there a bond in the wrestling room? aren't there several wrestlers at each weight?
does the starter not benefit from wrestling other competent top wrestlers in practice? so let me get this right, Peter has battled 4+ years to benefit himself and his team and probably wrestled many young men who never got a chance to wear a R singlet or less then he did, and then a promising freshman joins the team and the room and beats him out for the right to begin the season as a starter and the kid probably would benefit greatly going against Pete all season, but instead of being a good teammate and soldier he bolts. how is that the appropriate move? did Pete leaving make Rutgers wrestling better or the wrestling room better? or did his leaving make pete better? I personally am sick of selfish athletes, when you join a team you become a teammate and you lose your individuality.
I wish pete good health and fortune in life, but please do not tell me he did the right thing. he screwed Rutgers wrestling, my opinion.

This site needs a way to down vote stupid posts!!!

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan

LOL at this post!
Did Jordan Pagano Screw Penn State?
Did Christian Colucci screw Lehigh?
Did... stay with me here.... Nick Suriano screw Penn State?

The bottom line here is the coaching staff made a pragmatic, program and political decision to go with Jo Jo Aragona and develop him a year early over Peter Lipari. This wasn't some kid who lost his wrestle off by a point and has a chance to win it back. As long as Aragona is healthy and performs in ANY capacity that resembles a B1G wrestler he's not losing his spot... period. Heck... he may have been told that in so many words. If he did get the spot back, I question the ability of Goodale to run a major top 10 wrestling program (which i don't). Why do I say that? You don't pull the redshirt on the 6th ranked HS prospect in the nation and have him wrestle a div 2 team in November to hand it back over to Peter. Peter's career at Rutgers is essentially over because the staff made a tough decision. So where was their loyalty to him? See, it goes both ways. This is a case where both the wrestler and coaching staff made a pragmatic decision that was best for them... the complete OPPOSITE of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality. Again, don't be surprised if they spoke in private and Scott and Donny gave their blessing here.

Peter, unfortunately is collateral damage to what happens at major programs. Unless Aragona completely craps the bed or gets hurt, he ain't getting an opportunity to wrestle in March. This is his last year and he has an opportunity to make some noise In Minnesota... especially with guys like yianni out of the equation. With a good draw and a little luck, he had the potential to be this years equivalent to Scott Delveccio. Being an all american wrestler is every kids dream. He stays at RU and that dream is essentially dead.

But yea... he just needs to "suck it up" and let the 18 year old pull his dreams of being an all american because you don't think he's being a good teammate. Sure buddy.

Mods, this is an asinine post that needs to be locked.

LOL at this post!
Did Jordan Pagano Screw Penn State?
Did Christian Colucci screw Lehigh?
Did... stay with me here.... Nick Suriano screw Penn State?

The bottom line here is the coaching staff made a pragmatic, program and political decision to go with Jo Jo Aragona and develop him a year early over Peter Lipari. This wasn't some kid who lost his wrestle off by a point and has a chance to win it back. As long as Aragona is healthy and performs in ANY capacity that resembles a B1G wrestler he's not losing his spot... period. Heck... he may have been told that in so many words. If he did get the spot back, I question the ability of Goodale to run a major top 10 wrestling program (which i don't). Why do I say that? You don't pull the redshirt on the 6th ranked HS prospect in the nation and have him wrestle a div 2 team in November to hand it back over to Peter. Peter's career at Rutgers is essentially over because the staff made a tough decision. So where was their loyalty to him? See, it goes both ways. This is a case where both the wrestler and coaching staff made a pragmatic decision that was best for them... the complete OPPOSITE of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality. Again, don't be surprised if they spoke in private and Scott and Donny gave their blessing here.

Peter, unfortunately is collateral damage to what happens at major programs. Unless Aragona completely craps the bed or gets hurt, he ain't getting an opportunity to wrestle in March. This is his last year and he has an opportunity to make some noise In Minnesota... especially with guys like yianni out of the equation. With a good draw and a little luck, he had the potential to be this years equivalent to Scott Delveccio. Being an all american wrestler is every kids dream. He stays at RU and that dream is essentially dead.

But yea... he just needs to "suck it up" and let the 18 year old pull his dreams of being an all american because you don't think he's being a good teammate. Sure buddy.

Mods, this is an asinine post that needs to be locked.

Agree with most of what you said except that it actually was that close a wrestle-off. Aragona won in overtime, 7-5. I really wish (and I imagine the coaches wished) that Aragona had decided to redshirt, especially with the development he (and most true freshmen) need from the bottom position. But, based on the situation/Aragona upside/burned redshirt I cant see Lipari getting the spot back barring an injury. As such I totally support Lipari transferring and getting the opportunity to make an NCAA/AA run somewhere else. Just too bad because he was an important part of the team. Best of luck to Pete. I’ll be rooting for him. Really hope he doesn’t end up at Rider.

Great response Jersey boys......I will add "back in the day" when Flyer walked up hill both ways to school....The transfer rules for college athletes were insane. For example, coaches rarely gave transfers a release(today too much is out in the public, so almost all give a release), if you transferred and a coach did not release you, you could not get any scholly money for one year. Almost all transfers were a one year sit.
I have a feeling wrestlers in Lipari's situation would have transferred back in the good ole days as well.

listen I get it. pete is a likeable guy and gave a great 4 + years to the program. but what you guys outline is a very mercenary type approach to building a program. and the coach must constantly recruit over you and then when passed instead of staying in the room you are encouraging kids to leave. again I get it, hopefully it is a very specific situation, but in my mind it is sad that teammates don't band together to help each other rather then seeking personal glory. Alabama football has 8 rb's that could play anywhere, how many kids does PSU wrestling have in there room that could start at other top 25 programs. this is not me knocking Pete , just the way the sport and all sports have gone.

listen I get it. pete is a likeable guy and gave a great 4 + years to the program. but what you guys outline is a very mercenary type approach to building a program. and the coach must constantly recruit over you and then when passed instead of staying in the room you are encouraging kids to leave. again I get it, hopefully it is a very specific situation, but in my mind it is sad that teammates don't band together to help each other rather then seeking personal glory. Alabama football has 8 rb's that could play anywhere, how many kids does PSU wrestling have in there room that could start at other top 25 programs. this is not me knocking Pete , just the way the sport and all sports have gone.

It is an "individual choice" for those wrestlers to either stay in the PSU room or not.The same applies here at Rutgers and anywhere else.Quite frankly nobody remembers the wrestlers that stick around but the champions and AAs on the top of the podium.Seriously any of us in his position would do the same.Especially when you have an opportunity to make the NCAAs in your last go around.Simply put this is a competition with one ultimate winner.

It was not one match that Aragona beat Pete. Jo Jo beat Pete three times in the room. One was the indicator match. Trust the coaches. That is what they are paid to do and are pretty damm good at it.

It was not one match that Aragona beat Pete. Jo Jo beat Pete three times in the room. One was the indicator match. Trust the coaches. That is what they are paid to do and are pretty damm good at it.

So this is inside information? Can someone verify this is actually true although it is a mute point now.

Wish him well ... it’s not like other sports like track, gymnastics, swimming, golf, etc ... only 1 can rep the team at each weight ... he put in the work and only wants to wrestle.

Reactions: elvis7
Wish him well ... it’s not like other sports like track, gymnastics, swimming, golf, etc ... only 1 can rep the team at each weight ... he put in the work and only wants to wrestle.
It's gonna all workout well for him.Hes gonna end up on a really good team in need of a 141.A team with good partners and great coaching.

It’s a double edged sword ...he is a senior and deserves the right to try and get to the nationals and even the podium one last time whichever way possible ...you seem to forget he lost last years wrestleoff too and stuck around and got the position back ...to say he is now not a good teammate this year is a little harsh ...you have no idea what he was told ..JoJo is our top recruit ..Pete is at the mercy of what JoJo does ...call it the way it is ..unless JoJo craps out which is unlikely then Pete sits ...personally I would have like to see him stay and go 149 because I don’t see what we have there as being very good but just my opinion ...if he sees his best chance at 141 and somewhere else then that’s his prerogative...

I only hit the like button, because of the way you presented your post.....it was your opinion,
presented in a point a view that I can understand,,,,,,,now ,as and example of a kid waiting his turn we can see what cassar has done at penn st,,,,,came to ps not as a blue-chip recruit....was injured , and missed a year
came back and wrestled, but cael chose to go with shakur in the post season......it must have been heartbreaking for the kid,,,,,but what it did was motivate him to bulk up to hw, and you know the rest of the story..........that's one side of a personal choice to stay and compete,,,,,,,,pete lipari waited his turn to be a starter, and was a qualifier last year,,,,he took his lumps for four years in the room, and earned the right to wrestle.........so in your last year, you lose by a point to a freshman...a very good frosh, but still a 1st yr wrestler.......you waited patiently for 4 yrs, and your chances of being a qualifier again are over........pete is a great teammate, and loves ru,,,,,,but, loves to WRESTLE more....probably since he was 5yrs old......this opportunity only comes once in a lifetime..........spent his whole life wrestling year round, and the sacrifice with dieting, and camps......not to mention the parents investment in their sons future,,,,,,,so you see the two sides of the coin......peter lipari wants to do what he loves to do wrestle, and a chance at the podium........Anthony cassar took the other route, and chose what was best for him...hard to find fault in either choice.

I know wrestling injury news is extremely sparse, but do we have any insight on the severity of Aragona's injury? I would assume that would ultimately be the deciding factor in Pete's final decision at this point (unless that time has already passed)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT