ADVERTISEMENT

How many of our wrestlers

5 auto qualifiers - Suriano, Lipari, Ash, JVB and Gravina.

Grello has a chance as well but didn’t AQ

Its been said by others already, but Grello will definitely receive an at-large bid and be a qualifier. No one else will receive an at large, so we will send 6 to nationals this year, which is a very good result from where we were heading into the conference tournament.

Its been said by others already, but Grello will definitely receive an at-large bid and be a qualifier. No one else will receive an at large, so we will send 6 to nationals this year, which is a very good result from where we were heading into the conference tournament.

Not definitely, depends on other conferences, if their 174 ranked wrestlers did not qualify for an AQ, then they might get an 'at large' over Grello.
I'd say 'probably' for Grello, not 'definitely'.
I'll take a look a look later at the other Conference tourney results , and see if any of their 174 guys did not qualify, that would negatively impact Grello.

I've got to give Gravina credit. I'm not even sure how dude's arm hasn't fallen off yet and he is still qualifying for nationals. That's a good effort by him.

Keep the matches to a minimum during the season which the coaches did.Wrestle him in spots keeping healthy & fresh for the post season.

Was a great job managing Gravina this year.
Who will be our next warrior to replace him?
My Guess is Turley!

(I remember gravina's 1st 2 years he would just wear the top guys out and almost pulled out many upsets)

Not definitely, depends on other conferences, if their 174 ranked wrestlers did not qualify for an AQ, then they might get an 'at large' over Grello.
I'll take a look a look later at the other Conference tourney results , and see if any of their 174 guys did not qualify, that would negatively impact Grello.
I’ve seen a few analysis done and I think there are 5 or 6 at large for that weight and 4 guys who earned AQ’s finished 1 place out so thinking is all 4 will get in and that includes Grello as he earned a qualifying spot. But never know with the RU screw. But most are thinking he’s in

"After all of the conference tournaments have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in-person to select the remaining 44 at-large qualifiers, which will be announced on March 12, while brackets and seeding will be announced on NCAA.com at 6 p.m. on March 13. All weight classes will consist of 33 wrestlers. The at-large selections will be made based on the following criteria: head-to-head competition; quality wins; coaches’ ranking; results against common opponents; RPI; qualifying event placement; and winning percentage."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling...ling-qualifier-allocations-2019-championships

2019 NCAA Tournament Automatic Qualifier Hub

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6382290-2019-ncaa-tournament-automatic-qualifier-hub

Bottom line, it looks to me like Grello has a decent shot, but we will know for sure tomorrow (probably late in the day).

Reactions: TommyRutgers

Abro, Grello is a lock. First of all he earned an AQ for the Big10. Second there are 6 at large bids available at 174(most weights only 4). Here are the 4 wrestlers that earned an AQ but failed to Qualify in their conference tournament. There is one more coaches ranking to go. I will put their last coaches ranking and last RPI besides their name
1. Grello- 26-28
2. Hastings-Wyoming-22-21
3. Stefanik-Princeton-27-23
4. Oliver-Edinboro 24-15

Even though Grello has zero wins over wrestlers who made the tournament(that usually hurts an at large). He has two wins over Stefanik, who he is battling for an at large. I think all 4 of these guys make it in, plus 2 others(I dont care to do the research on the other 2...Lol).

Abro, Grello is a lock. First of all he earned an AQ for the Big10. Second there are 6 at large bids available at 174(most weights only 4). Here are the 4 wrestlers that earned an AQ but failed to Qualify in their conference tournament. There is one more coaches ranking to go. I will put their last coaches ranking and last RPI besides their name
1. Grello- 26-28
2. Hastings-Wyoming-22-21
3. Stefanik-Princeton-27-23
4. Oliver-Edinboro 24-15

Even though Grello has zero wins over wrestlers who made the tournament(that usually hurts an at large). He has two wins over Stefanik, who he is battling for an at large. I think all 4 of these guys make it in, plus 2 others(I dont care to do the research on the other 2...Lol).

Thanks, I trust your opinion. I know you've been through this before so you have better insights than I could. You going to Pittsburgh ? , I'd like to but I'll be watching on all the ESPN platforms (they are all free)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT