ADVERTISEMENT

In-State attraction

What the heck is the appeal of Northeastern to NJ students? It's in Boston...but so what? It's nowhere near as good academically as Boston U, BC, or Tufts. I'm not even gonna get started on NJ kids who willingly go to PSU...they're traitors as far as I'm concerned.

What the heck is the appeal of Northeastern to NJ students? It's in Boston...but so what? It's nowhere near as good academically as Boston U, BC, or Tufts. I'm not even gonna get started on NJ kids who willingly go to PSU...they're traitors as far as I'm concerned.
I love this passion!

What the heck is the appeal of Northeastern to NJ students?
Along the same lines, Drexel? Aside from better proximity than Northeastern, particularly for southern NJ students, not sure what the pull there is.

The price tags for both are tremendous even if they offer stronger applicants some tuition discount or scholarship money. Short of a full ride I don't really see the draw.

For some folks, perhaps it's the co-op model that is a tie-breaker? At RU-NB, does Cook/SEBS still have some manner of an optional co-op program, though perhaps still perennially under-advertised, that draws some students?

Anyway, for more marginal students, perhaps it's a rejection by RU but an admission at one of those two.

Last edited:

Of any school on that list, other than NYU, Michigan, and perhaps Lehigh it makes no sense. I can see going to Pace or West Chester if you don't get into RU/TCNJ.

I find it surprising that 78 students from Princeton high school got accepted to Princeton University

I realize it was over multiple years

The number of out of state students accepted to Berkeley at both schools is impressive.

MyCentralJersey.com

In-state universities gain favor with NJ students | College Connection

Data pretty anecdotal and the author runs a test prep business so take it for what it's worth.

I would say demographics in Hillsborough and Princeton skew brainy- the Princeton list would make any private school jealous. Both are along the "brain corridor" between RU and Princeton where RU probably picks up one of its strongest demographic- first generation Americans with parents who know the value of education. My guess is if you look at demographics for JP Stevens in Edison or McNair in Jersey City you're going to see something quite similar.

What I'd like to see is the numbers for wealthier areas in North Jersey or Monmouth County...my guest is Catholic schools running strong in the former and Cult in the latter.

Of any school on that list, other than NYU, Michigan, and perhaps Lehigh it makes no sense. I can see going to Pace or West Chester if you don't get into RU/TCNJ.
Lehigh is questionable. A fine school and all, but probably on par academically with RU. Only way an NJ student should turn down RU should they get accepted into RU is if they also get into an Ivy, elite private like Duke, Northwestern, NYU, or Stanford, or elite public school like UNC, Michigan, UCLA, or UC-Berkeley. I'll never understand paying more to go out of state to an academically inferior school like Temple, Delaware, Drexel, etc., should a kid get into RU.

My guess is if you look at demographics for JP Stevens in Edison or McNair in Jersey City you're going to see something quite similar.
I'd agree if the numbers reported were acceptances/admissions, not students attending/enrolling. Perhaps attendance yield is rather high among those figures the stronger the college is but that's just a guess on my part.

Anyway, setting aside awarding of grant/scholarship monies since we don't have information on that here, because those are attendance/enrollment figures, I'd have to assume JPS or McNair might skew somewhat lower despite perhaps having similar demographics because the higher wealth within the Princeton and Hillsborough areas would probably allow greater numbers to attend the more expensive and/or elite schools than the Edison or JC areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Lehigh is questionable. A fine school and all, but probably on par academically with RU.

Lehigh > RU-NB by a little bit. Not a huge margin though and I'd argue questionable given whether the cost differential at full price is worth any difference in value of education. Depending on how granular you get with groupings, they could be in a similar grouping or Lehigh could be a half notch above.

elite private like Duke, Northwestern, NYU, or Stanford

NYU doesn't quite belong in that subset IMO. I'd substitute UChicago, maybe Vanderbilt. Also if you want, it could include the handful of elite LACs that have much smaller enrollments. Either way, NYU would be a notch lower.

Two of my nephews looked at Lehigh and Lafayette and would have gotten into both. I can’t remember which school, but they didn’t like the neighborhood around the campus and crossed it off their lists.

I find it surprising that 78 students from Princeton high school got accepted to Princeton University

I'd assume it is a fair amount of faculty kids?

It's actually more than that accepted, maybe 85 or 90. The 78 is the number that enrolled and I doubt the yield was a full 100%. Figure a few decided to forego their PU admission/acceptance and attend another Ivy such as H or Y assuming acceptance received there. There are always some who want to get away for college.

I'd assume it is a fair amount of faculty kids?
Fair assumption even if PU faculty don't receive any preference in admission for their children. Do they? If so, then even less surprising.

Fair assumption even if PU faculty don't receive any preference in admission for their children. Do they? If so, then even less surprising.

"Some children of faculty and other University staff get special treatment, too. Wickenden said that the Dean of the College regularly identified which professors were “deserving of their child’s special consideration.”

The Daily Princetonian June 2020
Pulling back the veil: The truth about Princeton admissions
Also covers legacies and development admits

Reactions: RUnTeX
"Some children of faculty and other University staff get special treatment, too. Wickenden said that the Dean of the College regularly identified which professors were “deserving of their child’s special consideration.”

The Daily Princetonian June 2020
Pulling back the veil: The truth about Princeton admissions
Also covers legacies and development admits
Interesting in that the professors have to be deemed deserving in order for their children to be beneficiaries of the special consideration. I guess it pays to stay on the Dean's good side.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Interesting in that the professors have to be deemed deserving in order for their children to be beneficiaries of the special consideration. I guess it pays to stay on the Dean's good side.
Ivy League schools gonna Ivy League school. Nothing like preferential treatment, whether it's having Mommy and Daddy buying your way into admission with a 7 figure donation or being the offspring of a professor at the school that the admins look highly upon.

I would say demographics in Hillsborough and Princeton skew brainy- the Princeton list would make any private school jealous. Both are along the "brain corridor" between RU and Princeton where RU probably picks up one of its strongest demographic- first generation Americans with parents who know the value of education. My guess is if you look at demographics for JP Stevens in Edison or McNair in Jersey City you're going to see something quite similar.

What I'd like to see is the numbers for wealthier areas in North Jersey or Monmouth County...my guest is Catholic schools running strong in the former and Cult in the latter.
Wonder how the numbers fall in the upper middle class suburbs in South Jersey like Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel, Marlton, Medford, Voorhees, etc. I'd imagine RU-NB gets a solid share of those kids as it seems like South Jersey is less pretentious as a whole and isn't as willing to keep up with the Joneses by sending their kids to an inferior OOS school just for the cost. Then of course you get the brainy kids who end up at Penn or Michigan at places like Haddonfield or Cherry Hill East, but I'd imagine most upper middle class South Jerseyians send their kids to RU-NB, a solid mid-Atlantic public like Maryland or PSU, Delaware, or one of the Philly schools like Temple, Nova, or Drexel.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Wonder how the numbers fall in the upper middle class suburbs in South Jersey like Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel, Marlton, Medford, Voorhees, etc. I'd imagine RU-NB gets a solid share of those kids as it seems like South Jersey is less pretentious as a whole and isn't as willing to keep up with the Joneses by sending their kids to an inferior OOS school just for the cost. Then of course you get the brainy kids who end up at Penn or Michigan at places like Haddonfield or Cherry Hill East, but I'd imagine most upper middle class South Jerseyians send their kids to RU-NB, a solid mid-Atlantic public like Maryland or PSU, Delaware, or one of the Philly schools like Temple, Nova, or Drexel.

I was a student at RU when Facebook first came out and they let you see the top hometowns for each college. Cherry Hill was in the top 10 for RU. I would imagine that only accelerated recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT