ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Has a New Grad Transfer QB//Ole Miss Objects to Transfer QB to Michigan

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...brandon-dawkins-transferring-indiana-hoosiers

Dawkins appeared in 22 games for Arizona, passing for 2,418 yards with 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions, while adding 1,582 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. He opened last season as the top quarterback before being overtaken by Khalil Tate, who has two years of eligibility left.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3133993/brandon-dawkins

Worst case scenario?
----------------
Ole Miss objects to waiver request of ex-QB Shea Patterson

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...formally-object-shea-patterson-waiver-request

Best case scenario?

This waiver crap needs to stop. You should be able to transfer whenever and wherever you want. The BIG10 two year rule is BS as well. I'm surprised nobody has challenged these rules on a class action basis.

This waiver crap needs to stop. You should be able to transfer whenever and wherever you want. The BIG10 two year rule is BS as well. I'm surprised nobody has challenged these rules on a class action basis.
I respectfully disagree. CFB would be a circus with every kid who had any talent leaving a developing program and going to the power houses. Your roster would churn every year with the powerhouses benefiting.

I respectfully disagree. CFB would be a circus with every kid who had any talent leaving a developing program and going to the power houses. Your roster would churn every year with the powerhouses benefiting.
I think in Ole Miss' case, there should be special dispensation. Not sure on what grounds they are objecting. Bad look for them. But if it makes Michigan's and Jim's life more difficult, it's a good thing.

Reactions: RUDead
I think in Ole Miss' case, there should be special dispensation. Not sure on what grounds they are objecting. Bad look for them. But if it makes Michigan's and Jim's life more difficult, it's a good thing.

Not sure I agree here. If a school has potential issues the message here is stay away. If they start handing out waivers then their is zero risk to going to schools like Baylor.

Yes, there would be negative implications, just like there is today with holding kids hostage. I don't think it would churn much more than it already does. Every team has a limited amount of spots. they have to give up someone to get someone.

At the end of the day, I believe in freedom over control.

Reactions: ScarletCrimson
"They can't do that! Only the SEC can do that!"

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes, there would be negative implications, just like there is today with holding kids hostage. I don't think it would churn much more than it already does. Every team has a limited amount of spots. they have to give up someone to get someone.

At the end of the day, I believe in freedom over control.
If I recall correctly, the kids are not drafted or taken "hostage" but choose to attend the schools they commit to of their own free will. There is also something to be said for honoring a commitment they voluntarily entered as later in life they will be expected to honor contracts and other commitments as adults. I have no problem with Grad transfers as they fulfilled their commitment and those kids graduated and earned their degrees.

If I recall correctly, the kids are not drafted or taken "hostage" but choose to attend the schools they commit to of their own free will. There is also something to be said for honoring a commitment they voluntarily entered as later in life they will be expected to honor contracts and other commitments as adults. I have no problem with Grad transfers as they fulfilled their commitment and those kids graduated and earned their degrees.

What exactly is the contract though? I believe scholarships are renewed by the year. Coaches have no problem telling kids to take a hike if they have not produced by year 3.

The transfer rule is great from a competitive standpoint, but shouldn't we be looking out for the interest of the student-athlete? If an individual believes their future is better served by attending college X instead of college Y, why stop them.

What exactly is the contract though? I believe scholarships are renewed by the year. Coaches have no problem telling kids to take a hike if they have not produced by year 3.

The transfer rule is great from a competitive standpoint, but shouldn't we be looking out for the interest of the student-athlete? If an individual believes their future is better served by attending college X instead of college Y, why stop them.

Power 5 colleges all give guaranteed 4 year scholarships in football.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Power 5 colleges all give guaranteed 4 year scholarships in football.
Yes, but some schools in certain conferences ‘encourage’ underperforming players to transfer. Many ways to make this happen.

Brandon Dawkins to Indy - we are so screwed. Just not this year as he has to sit out.

And colleges have no problem yanking academic scholarships when a student's grade drops below a certain level. It isn't unreasonable for people to have to continue to earn their free ride.

Who says the transfer rule isn't in the best interest of the student-athlete? If the kid has a legitimate concern, as Shea Patterson appears to, the waiver will be granted and he can play this season. There are typically a handful or hardship transfers every year where a student-athlete can transfer closer to home and be immediately eligible. Remove the redshirt requirement and some programs will begin to recruit players (perhaps starters) from other schools.

Brandon Dawkins to Indy - we are so screwed. Just not this year as he has to sit out.

No. He threw 3 Interceptions against Utah and was benched.
He’s no QB Lagow for Indiana. We will be fine.

Schools like Rutgers would be relegated to farm teams. Heck, school like OSU could tell kids go play at Ru for a year instead of sitting behind player x and then transfer in a seasoned BIG vet for years 2, 3 and 4. Rinse and repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT