ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Postgame Thoughts

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

wow, heckuva game. Incredible how much of a different team this is in only a months time.

1) I sat first row tonight, which Ive done a couple times this year and tonights game you could hear the players overcommunicating, all were on the same page and all knew what to do and when to do it. A defensive board gets yanked down and immediately heads go up to check numbers and mouths open to communicate, if we’re plus were running and everyone knows exactly what spot to run to and this is leading to easy buckets that we didnt get in the beginning of the year. This is really turning into a “team”.

2) Ron Harper is my player of the game. What an incredible job he did on Romeo. Ron was locked in. Yes, Langord scored 20 points but it took him 20 shots to do so and some of those were not when ron was on the floor. He only shot 35% from the field. He bodied romeo and really asserted his physical dominance over him.

3) Montez didnt have it tonight. Was playing a little out of control and pike did the right thing and sat him a little more than usual. When Tez sat, the other guys picked up the slack and lead this team to a win. The sign of a team coming together and turning into a solid team is being able to win when one of your best players is having an off night.

4) Eugene, man what can you say? Double-double, some big baskets down low and for the most part was smart with the ball.

5) Geo HUGE with free throws down the stretch. Went 6-6 from the line to end the game and seal the deal. If we can shoot at a 70-75% clip from the line, we’re gonna be a tough out for anyone with the way our guys are getting to the line right now.

Last but not least, Bob from section 113, if you read this board, great meeting you at stuff yer face and having a beer with ya. Ive known you since my days as a student as the guy who controls the crowd.

#3 anybody have anything to add......I didnt see it, but someone told me that a teammate was not happy he didnt hustle back after blowing dunk and complaining to ref and one of his teammates told Pike to get him out.

wow, heckuva game. Incredible how much of a different team this is in only a months time.

1) I sat first row tonight, which Ive done a couple times this year and tonights game you could hear the players overcommunicating, all were on the same page and all knew what to do and when to do it. A defensive board gets yanked down and immediately heads go up to check numbers and mouths open to communicate, if we’re plus were running and everyone knows exactly what spot to run to and this is leading to easy buckets that we didnt get in the beginning of the year. This is really turning into a “team”.

2) Ron Harper is my player of the game. What an incredible job he did on Romeo. Ron was locked in. Yes, Langord scored 20 points but it took him 20 shots to do so and some of those were not when ron was on the floor. He only shot 35% from the field. He bodied romeo and really asserted his physical dominance over him.

3) Montez didnt have it tonight. Was playing a little out of control and pike did the right thing and sat him a little more than usual. When Tez sat, the other guys picked up the slack and lead this team to a win. The sign of a team coming together and turning into a solid team is being able to win when one of your best players is having an off night.

4) Eugene, man what can you say? Double-double, some big baskets down low and for the most part was smart with the ball.

5) Geo HUGE with free throws down the stretch. Went 6-6 from the line to end the game and seal the deal. If we can shoot at a 70-75% clip from the line, we’re gonna be a tough out for anyone with the way our guys are getting to the line right now.

Last but not least, Bob from section 113, if you read this board, great meeting you at stuff yer face and having a beer with ya. Ive known you since my days as a student as the guy who controls the crowd.
Kudos also to:

1. Eugene - he played mean and was unstoppable under the basket.
2. Peter Kiss - has stepped up his game since he got benched and played during last 8 minutes or so. With the exception of the bonehead tussle at the end of the game and missed FT's, he played very well.

#3 anybody have anything to add......I didnt see it, but someone told me that a teammate was not happy he didnt hustle back after blowing dunk and complaining to ref and one of his teammates told Pike to get him out.
Didn't hear anything verbal about taking Montez out, bur right in front of me,Montez after the missed dunk did go to the ref complaining rather than going back on defense. Freshmen lack of judgment. I didn't think it was any big dea.

Reactions: shields
Montez was clearly fouled on the dunk attempt. Should have been called a flagrant. But, whatever on that. Refs flat-out missed it.

Glad someone also mentioned Kiss. He's playing a really important role for the team.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

agree with everything....Ron was my POG too and I loved how Montez contributed in the 2nd half by by recognizing that he could play smart and help the team rather than force it to try and be the man.

team is doing a great job at free throws..overall the percentage isnt that great...but the key is WHEN they are making the free throws. RU is getting good at having the ball in Geos hands at the end of the game, that is what you want and he is delivering what you expect from a leader

Harper has two huge plays that stood out to me in the 2nd half.

First was when he had the ball past the three point line with 4 seconds left on the shot clock, defender in his face and somehow made it to the hoop for a finger role.

Second was the block he had from behind which led to an RU fast break.

He also played great Defense all game. Best game of the year for him.

We had 4 freshman on the court at the same time at the midway point of the second half. It’s been real fun watching a different freshman step up each game.

Kudos also to:

1. Eugene - he played mean and was unstoppable under the basket.
2. Peter Kiss - has stepped up his game since he got benched and played during last 8 minutes or so. With the exception of the bonehead tussle at the end of the game and missed FT's, he played very well.
When Harper came out Kiss covered Langford. Pikiel didn't make a defensive switch. I guess he thinks he's a decent defender. I've always felt that way. The kid has been key in each of our last three wins and is a better player than he is given credit for on this board, and will be an important contributor going forward.

In the beginning of the season we had so many games where maybe 2 players played well and everyone else looked pretty bad. Now we are getting multiple players contributing regularly. Some maybe not all game long but a couple spots here and there with a nice play and it adds up.

3 point shooting has been better. Taking less threes but mostly good open attempts in rhythm. Geo Harper Kiss all hitting some. EO not falling in love with the 3.

If we can just stop with the stretches of bad TOs every game that would help this team so much especially against the better teams in the league. It does seem like when we do turn it over we give up points at a very high rate. Limit easy buckets in transition and make teams best your set half court D.

Keep pounding it inside and taking it to the basket. We are drawing more fouls and getting in the bonus as well as getting teams in foul trouble. A lot of teams don't have great depth so this can be a big advantage.

Love this team. OSU is on the road but we did beat them without EO so let's keep the momentum going and go for 4 in a row!

Key play by Eugene was grabbing Kiss around the next and hauling him down the court after Pete reacted with some excess passion after being fouled by Romeo. Too bad he missed both free throws.

Didn’t like the way Kiss recoiled his arms on the missed foul shots.
He needs to control his emotions. Glad his teammates reeled him in.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
In the beginning of the season we had so many games where maybe 2 players played well and everyone else looked pretty bad. Now we are getting multiple players contributing regularly. Some maybe not all game long but a couple spots here and there with a nice play and it adds up.

3 point shooting has been better. Taking less threes but mostly good open attempts in rhythm. Geo Harper Kiss all hitting some. EO not falling in love with the 3.

If we can just stop with the stretches of bad TOs every game that would help this team so much especially against the better teams in the league. It does seem like when we do turn it over we give up points at a very high rate. Limit easy buckets in transition and make teams best your set half court D.

Keep pounding it inside and taking it to the basket. We are drawing more fouls and getting in the bonus as well as getting teams in foul trouble. A lot of teams don't have great depth so this can be a big advantage.

Love this team. OSU is on the road but we did beat them without EO so let's keep the momentum going and go for 4 in a row!
Agree on limiting the turnovers. And can we please stop attempting that lob over the top of the D down low from the top of the arc? Such a high risk, low reward play

@RUChoppin 3-13 or 3-14 vs Ron. I'll go back and watch and keep the stats.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT