ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana spent at least $3M on NIL

There isn’t enough ROI for corporate interests.
But wasn’t that the initial NIL concept? Allow students to capitalize on their NIL? If you’re not one of the top 1-2 % of course the ROI doesn’t work.

Now it’s pay for play funded by fans and eventually the schools themselves. You should all do yourselves a favor and become less invested in RU athletics like I have. The current model sucks and RU will not prosper until it changes to a true pro model with a salary cap and other controls to level the playing field. It may never happen but I have reluctantly gravitated back to pro sports. I still root for RU but the passion is much less and I am OK with that.

I think it’s understood that RU is not going to be able to attract difference makers at this level in the NIL market. That doesn’t explain why we have two 3rd year LBs (one of whom was a high 4 star recruit) who have a difficult time being in proper position or unable to make plays in space against B1G competition. Also why there are so few DL and DB backups that can replace ailing starters and not cause a big drop off in level of play.
Here is why-our DC/Linebackers coach has not coached linebackers at this level. He was only co-DC under Joe Rossi at Minnesota, who handled the linebackers. Joe Rossi was vilified here, but he is now viewed as one of the best DCs in the B1G:

crop

Corey Hetherman was named University of Minnesota Defensive Coordinator / Linebackers Coach in January 2024.

Prior to joining Minnesota, Hetherman spent the two previous seasons as the linebackers coach at Rutgers. Before that he was the defensive coordinator at James Madison from 2019-21 and was named the AFCA FCS Assistant Coach of the Year in 2021. He has also been the defensive coordinator at Maine (2016-18) and at Pace College (2014).

At Rutgers, Hetherman took over an inexperienced unit that had seven combined career starts prior to his arrival before the 2022 season. That year, the defense improved by allowing 46.7 fewer yards per game compared to 2021, 28.1 fewer passing yards and 18.6 fewer rushing yards. Rutgers posted its best mark in total defense (349.8) in 10 years.

In 2023, Hetherman coached a pair of honorable mention All-Big Ten linebackers in Mohamed Toure and Deion Jennings. Jennings led the team in tackles, while Toure finished second.

Jennings, who was also Honorable Mention in 2022, played in all 13 games and led Rutgers with 95 tackles and added 4.5 tackles for loss and four pass breakups. Toure played in all 13 games in 2023 after missing the entire 2022 season with an injury. He was named a semifinalist for the Comeback Player of the Year award and had 93 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and one interception.

Hetherman spent 2019-21 at James Madison as the defensive coordinator. His defense ranked in the top 10 in both total defense and scoring defense in all three years he was there.
-----------------------
Harasymiak_headshot_web.jpg

In 2024, Harasymiak took over coaching linebackers in addition to defensive coordinator responsibilities.

2024-present: Rutgers (defensive coordinator/linebackers)
2022-23: Rutgers (defensive coordinator)
2020-21: Minnesota (co-defensive coordinator)
2018-19: Minnesota (defensive backs/safeties)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rossi.jpg

Rossi spent the past six seasons (2018-23) at Minnesota, where he helped build the Gophers into one of the best defenses in the Big Ten as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Minnesota’s defense ranked among the top 10 in the FBS in total defense three times (No. 3 in 2021, No. 8 in 2022, No. 10 in 2019) and scoring defense twice (No. 4 in 2022, No. 6 in 2021) under Rossi’s direction

Last edited:
For Rutgers to consistently win, fans are going to have to pony up. There’s no way around it.
We are nearby the financial center of the world. When does the Athletics Department start ringing the bell? With all the angst of being a Rutgers fan, now it’s our burden to pony up? Yes, in a small way. Most should come from corporate engagement and extremely well-heeled alumni. Where’s our Nike? Where’s our FedEx? Where’s our Walmart?

Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m over big time college football. We started too late, tried to half ass it, and stopped half assing it way too late to realistically catch up. Trying to compete with teams that have been paying players under the table for decades and now they can legally pay them more (while still certainly paying under the table) feels like a fools errand. You now have to recruit your own players every year because of the transfer portal. To call it college football anymore is frankly a joke. The beauty of college football was that there was at least the illusion that the players were doing it for the glory of the school/state. That is now dead.

Let’s be realistic - there are about 5-10 teams nationally that will consistently be in the running under this new paradigm We’re not going to be one of them so why should I care. What is my incentive to give a crap?

The school is doing just fine with terrible sports.

I’m over big time college football. We started too late, tried to half ass it, and stopped half assing it way too late to realistically catch up. Trying to compete with teams that have been paying players under the table for decades and now they can legally pay them more (while still certainly paying under the table) feels like a fools errand. You now have to recruit your own players every year because of the transfer portal. To call it college football anymore is frankly a joke. The beauty of college football was that there was at least the illusion that the players were doing it for the glory of the school/state. That is now dead.

Let’s be realistic - there are about 5-10 teams nationally that will consistently be in the running under this new paradigm We’re not going to be one of them so why should I care. What is my incentive to give a crap?

The school is doing just fine with terrible sports.
Wow. Although you’re not wrong, that just made me seem like a positive person in comparison. Not sure I can handle my newfound optimism but thanks.

We are nearby the financial center of the world. When does the Athletics Department start ringing the bell? With all the angst of being a Rutgers fan, now it’s our burden to pony up? Yes, in a small way. Most should come from corporate engagement and extremely well-heeled alumni. Where’s our Nike? Where’s our FedEx? Where’s our Walmart?
Absolutely. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan weren’t built by corporate America. They were built by fans who cared. Ohio State fans pooled their dimes and nickels to build the horseshoe in 1920. Meanwhile Rutgers fans needed a government handout to build the original Rutgers Stadium. We haven’t been conditioned to support the school. Nevertheless, this is our opportunity to. Either we do it, or it’s not going to get done.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
Absolutely. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan weren’t built by corporate America. They were built by fans who cared. Ohio State fans pooled their dimes and nickels to build the horseshoe in 1920. Meanwhile Rutgers fans needed a government handout to build the original Rutgers Stadium. We haven’t been conditioned to support the school. Nevertheless, this is our opportunity to. Either we do it, or it’s not going to get done.
Not going to happen with this type of team, boring offense doesn't do anything for potential fans. Rutgers is completely different from the schools you listed and this is a different time. It has to be done differently as this is a different era. Idk what but I'm sure there are greater financial minds than mine available for hire in this area. First of all, is there a nil collective? How is it that college football is so profitable for everyone else that the Saudis and the Chinese are trying to get a piece? Wth? who is running things down at Rutgers? Get a good marketer and have them sell some corporations of the potential money making opportunities of a top 25 football team in this area. Who the hell sold the big ten on Rutgers? Use that same strategy to get these corporations on board..

Not going to happen with this type of team, boring offense doesn't do anything for potential fans. Rutgers is completely different from the schools you listed and this is a different time. It has to be done differently as this is a different era. Idk what but I'm sure there are greater financial minds than mine available for hire in this area. First of all, is there a nil collective? How is it that college football is so profitable for everyone else that the Saudis and the Chinese are trying to get a piece? Wth? who is running things down at Rutgers? Get a good marketer and have them sell some corporations of the potential money making opportunities of a top 25 football team in this area. Who the hell sold the big ten on Rutgers? Use that same strategy to get these corporations on board..
The sad truth of it is a successful football team isn’t a priority for most fans. Heck, we can’t even get fans to show up on time for games.

As long as they can tailgate, and be social, our fans are happy.

The endless list of excuses for a lifelong sub-mediocre coach is astounding. I said it ten years ago and it's still true - our fans look at Schiano like the abusive husband who says he won't do it anymore.

The sad truth of it is a successful football team isn’t a priority for most fans. Heck, we can’t even get fans to show up on time for games.

As long as they can tailgate, and be social, our fans are happy.
Because tailgate parties don’t mostly lose for decades.

What they spent on NIL is immaterial , unless we're trying to find ways to make an excuse for RU's 3 straight loses and try to act like 7-0 was just because of the money.
Kudos to the Hoosiers for the wins and NIL , Rutgers needs to do better on the field and getting their players the bucks.

I just saw that Texas players get a Lamborghini as part of their NIL deal. This is getting ridiculous. How do you compete against that?

Go fck yourself cheese. I have several more clues than you. My friends have National Championship Rings. You have a big mouth.
Any football dorm sleepovers in Lexington yet Adonis Al of Owensboro ? Maybe plant one of your high tech cameras in your pretend lover’s room ? Still contributing to his NIL and writing 2025 propaganda for his Heisman run ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT