ADVERTISEMENT

inexcusible

How this program consistently shows up with supposed Div. 1 players that cannot hit a foul shot blows my mind. It literally negates any positives from the other team fouling you.
I can't understand it also.

There are a lot of games that the home team seems to shoot a lot of foul shots, way more than the visiting team, and it is a good part of the reason the home team won.....

Here we had way more than the visitor, and should have won by 10 points or more, with no last minute jitters. We almost deserved to lose
Because we did not take advantage

Reactions: BillyC80
FTs are a tell-tale sign for me. My expectations will remain low for this team until this leaves abysmal levels.

Reactions: drewbagel423
After two games last season we were the best 3pt FG% shooting team in the country. n=1 is not a data set upon which to draw conclusions. We might be bad again. We might not. I'd feel better making a statement in about a month.

Well, I can understand it. Their stats show it. Even as incoming recruits, I don't think any of these players had the reputation as shooters.

That said, last night was worse than it's going to be. But, still, they won't be a good shooting team, be it the foul line or three-point line. Pike is going to have to make this team into a winner other ways.

After two games last season we were the best 3pt FG% shooting team in the country. n=1 is not a data set upon which to draw conclusions. We might be bad again. We might not. I'd feel better making a statement in about a month.

I buy that with 3s; not with FTs. Sometimes the 3 falls, sometimes it doesn’t - just the nature of the beast. FTs are a whole different animal.

A lot of players looked tight and nervous while shooting last night. Hopefully they relax and start making some shots.

Baker shot 74% from the line last season. Harper 68%. Young shot 79% and 68% in his two years at UT. Last night those three were 8-18 combined. Too small a sample size.
Yes, to some extent. You're citing a large sample size to discredit a one-game sample size, which makes sense.

But, in doing so, you're acknowledging the existence of a large sample size that says two things: (1) yesterday was worse than normal and (2) this will not be a good shooting team. Now maybe returning RU players will improve their shooting, or the new guys will be very good shooters, though even their numbers (Young, not very good; Yeboah, middling; Mulcahy, brand spanking new) don't suggest that. But absent marked improvement, this will not be a good shooting team. We'll have to win in other ways.

Baker shot 74% from the line last season. Harper 68%. Young shot 79% and 68% in his two years at UT. Last night those three were 8-18 combined. Too small a sample size.
Harper did not look like 68% last night. Gosh was he off. Side of the rim off

Harper hit a clutch bucket, but then missed the free throw, upon which they were fouled on the rebound. They hit the 1-1, so a potential +3 on the play was completely negated. We need to start making free throws!

Paul had what will likely be the worst foul shot of the season. Not sure if his 1st one even touched the the right side of the rim. It was impressive.

Reactions: RutgHoops
After watching the game again, I realized that Harper started out 3-4 on FTs last night, and he was the main culprit in our low percentage as a team, because from that point forward he went 1-7. (Maybe a minor finger injury to his shooting hand? I have no evidence other than the way his shot was falling short after looking so good initially.) In any case the FT woes were not from the whole team. Assuming Harper gets back up around 70% then we should be fine from the line this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT