ADVERTISEMENT

INSTANT RECAP: Rutgers wins all three quad matches!

Kids looking good. Pitt was a solid bunch and clearly a number 1 D2 team. That 149 pounder is legit. Pitt goes to Jouneyman in Troy. Jojo looked strong and slick. Alvarez got caught in a funky weird move. MVB May make us forget Glasgow. Turley looked good as did Grello and Pagano. As the year goes on we will improve.

Kids looking good. Pitt was a solid bunch and clearly a number 1 D2 team. That 149 pounder is legit. Pitt goes to Jouneyman in Troy. Jojo looked strong and slick. Alvarez got caught in a funky weird move. MVB May make us forget Glasgow. Turley looked good as did Grello and Pagano. As the year goes on we will improve.
That's one thing that RU always does is improve. The team always wrestles its best in February and March. Fresno will be a challenge but I think we can beat them in a close match.

So any freshman that wrestled today can no longer redshirt is that correct?

Fun quad today. It was great seeing so many young kids contribute. JoJo has already replaced Gravina as my personal favorite.

As I told my friend at the meet, we may not always win but the young kids are gonna make things interesting this season.

Hey WNG ...what happened to Correnti, Lipari and Aguilar today ....thought they would go at least one match today

I thought jo jo would win bigger against that competition. Those kids were not upper level wrestlers in hs

He’s a true freshman who was wrestling under complete control. I think he looked solid. At no point today did he look at risk. He dominated all 3 opponents more than the score showed. He’s just getting warmed up folks!

Reactions: rondi
He’s a true freshman who was wrestling under complete control. I think he looked solid. At no point today did he look at risk. He dominated all 3 opponents more than the score showed. He’s just getting warmed up folks!

Agreed. He looked good in all 3 matches but wasn't able to finish on some bigger moves. While completely controlled his opponents but he will definitely need to get better/stronger on top to get those bonus points.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Agreed. He looked good in all 3 matches but wasn't able to finish on some bigger moves. While completely controlled his opponents but he will definitely need to get better/stronger on top to get those bonus points.

Oh, I agree and he has some work to do in order to finish more, but after another month in the room with live competition he will start to put it together. Those kids were no match for Jo Jo. Come January he’s getting bonus points on those kids.

Reactions: MS-RU
Aguilar is going to Princeton Open where the competition is really good. Peter Lipari can’t comment as I hope he goes tomorrow. Correnti was going to Princeton tomorrow but pulled a rib in practice so will not wrestle tomorrow

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Oh, I agree and he has some work to do in order to finish more, but after another month in the room with live competition he will start to put it together. Those kids were no match for Jo Jo. Come January he’s getting bonus points on those kids.

100% agree

JoJo has already replaced Gravina as my personal favorite.
For me it's Janzer, love his intensity and relentlessness. He's like a younger version of Gravina only with takedown moves. Nick was always so intense and truly looked pissed off that a kid actually dared to take the mat against him. I see the same in Janzer.

I thought jo jo would win bigger against that competition. Those kids were not upper level wrestlers in hs
They were still state champions in HS.. Jojo did pretty well on top and maybe his style is just to win closer matches... I’m awaiting to see how he fairs against national qualifier lvl competition

For me it's Janzer, love his intensity and relentlessness. He's like a younger version of Gravina only with takedown moves. Nick was always so intense and truly looked pissed off that a kid actually dared to take the mat against him. I see the same in Janzer.
Janzer is gonna be an animal here. The boondocks of South Jersey are rich with wrestling culture. If we keep getting guys like Janzer, Firestone, the Van Brills, they'll give you everything they've got. Blue collar wrestling down here south of Trenton. That's why I'm surprised Rowan doesn't have a D3 team. They would be a power D3 wrestling program with the wrestling talent in South Jersey.

Last edited:
Janzer is gonna be an animal here. The boondocks of South Jersey is rich with wrestling culture. If we keep getting guys like Janzer, Firestone, the Van Brills, they'll give you everything they've got. Blue collar wrestling down here south of Trenton. That's why I'm surprised Rowan doesn't have a D3 team. They would be a power D3 wrestling program with the wrestling talent in South Jersey.
Haven't had one since Glassboro St.. The NJAC used to be a pretty good wrestling conference. It's a shame Montclair St. and Kean gave up theirs.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Janzer is gonna be an animal here. The boondocks of South Jersey are rich with wrestling culture. If we keep getting guys like Janzer, Firestone, the Van Brills, they'll give you everything they've got. Blue collar wrestling down here south of Trenton. That's why I'm surprised Rowan doesn't have a D3 team. They would be a power D3 wrestling program with the wrestling talent in South Jersey.

Sums up guys like my good friend and former RU grappler Jon Forster.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Aguilar is going to Princeton Open where the competition is really good. Peter Lipari can’t comment as I hope he goes tomorrow. Correnti was going to Princeton tomorrow but pulled a rib in practice so will not wrestle tomorrow
Can’t comment on what ?...I thought Correnti was suspended ?

Not to my knowledge Harley? He just told me he pulled something in practice

Wrestling Sweeps RAC Quad to Begin 2019-20

Rutgers wrestling picked up three dual victories over LIU (43-3), Centenary (38-6) and Pitt-Johnstown (22-9) to open the 2019-20 season on Saturday in front of 3,332 fans at the RAC. The Scarlet Knights won 25 out of 30 individuals bouts during their three dual matches, including 13 by bonus points. Brett Donner (165), Joseph Grello (174), Jordan Pagano (197) and Christian Colucci all recorded pins to highlight action for the Scarlet Knights.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/11/2/wrestling-sweeps-rac-quad-to-begin-2019-20.aspx

I think despite all the positive comments Goodale had about Correnti being much improved, Pagano is going to give him a run for his spot at 197. The last thing he needs is to be suspended or injured.

They were still state champions in HS.. Jojo did pretty well on top and maybe his style is just to win closer matches... I’m awaiting to see how he fairs against national qualifier lvl competition
None were state champs and nowhere near the comp when we get into big 10 schedule. I didn’t see match but thought he’d pack bruffy quick based on what I remember about bruffy and JoJo ranked so high.
Glad he won just saying expected bonus points vs that comp.

None were state champs and nowhere near the comp when we get into big 10 schedule. I didn’t see match but thought he’d pack bruffy quick based on what I remember about bruffy and JoJo ranked so high.
Glad he won just saying expected bonus points vs that comp.

That's not correct as Jacob Ealy was a PA state champ last year.

Edit: They also wrestled each other at the PA vs. USA challenge back in March where JoJo won 5-1

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
Saw that in pa wrestling’s post. Still d2 competition though. I don’t know if Jojo is a pinner or more conservative. I read that Angelo needs to open up which surprised me bc he used to be a point machine.

My God... what did everyone expect out of JoJo 3 pins? I rewatched the matches this morning and I saw a kid who at no point was in trouble or out of position. His takedowns and mat returns were on point and he displayed solid body position at all times. For a true Frosh he wrestled conservative and smart. There were multiple times he could have took it up a notch and I would have liked for him to finish a few other times but overall a great opening day.

I would also like to add that he was a bull on top and showed great poise and body movement on his rides. I'm sure he will continue he to work in turning guys over the next month as he progresses in the room. I love Lipari, but JoJo is already the better wrestler.

Yes, we need to see him against better competition. Yes there will be bumps in the road. But ignore the scores yesterday. JoJo dominated his opponents through and through. The additional points and turns will come in due time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT