ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Game Thread

Like many great offensive players Diamond has some weaknesses on D. Clark goes right every time but Diamond falls for the fake left and Clark has free path to the basket. Same play again and again. Buts our big in trouble if they help, getting called for the foul or giving up position for the rebound.

Can't have a first quarter like we did,

The 10 points we could have expected from Zippy are the difference in the game. Hope she’s ok.

86-81 Iowa leads with 11 seconds remaining,Rutgers has better offense this season but worse defense..

Reactions: bac2therac
Losing Zippy hurt. I agree with '67 she's good for at least 10 points. But if you're going to start off a game and be down 24-12, that doesn't help now does it? We need to see more consistency throughout the game. We seem to also really lag in the 3rd period and that's no trend, because we did that last year as well.

I still like this team going forward, but they need to play better on the defensive side.

Maybe, but when's the last time we gave up 90 points?
Don't have to look back too far.
What was the final against Maryland?
Didn't we score 87 and lose?
Can't have a team shoot over 60% against you.
We gave up too many wide open looks and those "poney tails" took advantage.
55% from three.

7 games into the season, and this might be the best offensive team RU has ever had, but also a bad defensive team. At the end of the day, the team needed to get a stop in the fourth quarter, and they couldn't do it. Plain and simple.

Iowa shot 61% from the field and 55% from 3pt range (Though it should be noted, they only made one more 3-pt shot than RU in the entire game).

RU out scored Iowa 72-62 after the horrible first quarter, but it wasn't enough. Arella got the offensive help she needed, but if you can't stop anyone, it doesn't matter.

We also need our posts to get tougher in the paint. Singleton battles as much as she can, and Sakima and Chyna are freshmen, but we need to see them get much more physical boxing out.

Last edited:
Losing Zippy hurt. I agree with '67 she's good for at least 10 points. But if you're going to start off a game and be down 24-12, that doesn't help now does it? We need to see more consistency throughout the game. We seem to also really lag in the 3rd period and that's no trend, because we did that last year as well.

I still like this team going forward, but they need to play better on the defensive side.

I actually think losing Zippy hurts a lot more of the defensive side than on the offensive side. I think Diamond is a more reliable offensive player than her (and the better shooter), but Zippy is an upperclassmen who knows the system well.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Iowa has now won 41 straight home games at Carver-Hawkeye. Brian Enterline and Frank Steratore a part to that streak. But I agree our defense with Zippy would have been a lot better. She’s always good for a couple steals.

Does anyone know if they are staying out in the Midwest since they play at Nebraska on Sunday. Hardly seems worth it to come home tonight and leave for Lincoln on Saturday.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Iowa has now won 41 straight home games at Carver-Hawkeye. Brian Enterline and Frank Steratore a part to that streak. But I agree our defense with Zippy would have been a lot better. She’s always good for a couple steals.

Does anyone know if they are staying out in the Midwest since they play at Nebraska on Sunday. Hardly seems worth it to come home tonight and leave for Lincoln on Saturday.
Our bigs are terrible as usual. Singletary got beat several times by number 23 on long outlet passes. Walker is lost out there Those ponytails made our bigs look sick out there. we use to get bigs who made it into the WNBA. I miss those days.

I actually think losing Zippy hurts a lot more of the defensive side than on the offensive side. I think Diamond is a more reliable offensive player than her (and the better shooter), but Zippy is an upperclassmen who knows the system well.
Good points and I agree with you. But as you stated, Zippy is an upperclassman and has the defensive chops.

A couple games ago when we lost to Maryland by 4. 91-87

Repressed memory on my part... lol! It'll be interesting to see what this team becomes, but it's definitely hard to get used to this defense. Hopefully they find the right balance soon.

We just left them too many wide open 3 pointers and we have no inside post players who can defend

Season stats were similar for both teams prior to tonight's game (RU with better D stats). RU lost an important defensive player early and adjusted well. IA had an abnormally good shooting night from outside the arc. The Scarlet Knights played themselves back into the game.

I hope for the perfect combination of maturing frosh and preserved senior legs and GOOD REFEREES come B1G tourney time.

As CVS made clear in her post game presser, there's no excuse for an RU team scoring 84 points and losing. The defense is just not up to snuff yet, and until that happens, this team won't be truly great.

All that being said, Zippy is our 3rd leading scorer, and to loser her for pretty much the entire game and still score 84pts (and the team scored 87pts against MD when Mack went out) shows how truly dynamic our offense is this year. But it will be for naught if we can't stop anyone from scoring.

Reactions: MADHAT1
As CVS made clear in her post game presser, there's no excuse for an RU team scoring 84 points and losing. The defense is just not up to snuff yet, and until that happens, this team won't be truly great.

All that being said, Zippy is our 3rd leading scorer, and to loser her for pretty much the entire game and still score 84pts (and the team scored 87pts against MD when Mack went out) shows how truly dynamic our offense is this year. But it will be for naught if we can't stop anyone from scoring.
23gnx0.jpg

This team will get better as the year progresses. Have faith fans from a guy who is usually pessimistic. Diamond is the best thing to hit this team in awhile. Hope she stays 4 more years.

This team will get better as the year progresses. Have faith fans from a guy who is usually pessimistic. Diamond is the best thing to hit this team in awhile. Hope she stays 4 more years.
Yes & she needs to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT