ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa isn't very good

Not a terrible idea, but sometimes in those situations, a person making recommendations might be inclined to recommend his buddies. Not saying that is what Schiano would do, but that could put Greg in a difficult position if it ever leaked out who he recommended. Could piss a lot of people off.

I am going to tag my tag team wrestling partner @rutgersguy1 to chime in on experienced coaches who have failed. As he likes to say--there is no exact science.

That is not to say that RU should not hire an experienced coach. Actually, I think it improves the chances of success. We have seen with Chris Ash that he has made many stumbles as a first time head coach. That is partly because of his lack of experience, but also partly in that he does not appear to be head coach material.
They're are a bunch of them ....Tuberville, Bielema (successful as coordinator to HC but not HC to HC), same for Strong and Rich Rod..others like Hoke, Hazell, Erickson, McElwain...list can go on and on...find the guy you think best fits HC experience or not and that's IMO...I don't like narrowing down the field without evidence to do so.

Also agree with above that Fuente and Kelly can turn things around but one is fading and one hasn't even come close to his billing and everyone's expectation for him to hit the ground running pretty quickly. They're both likely going to get the chance.. Fuente is still owed 15M and Kelly 9M if he's fired in the first 4 years of his contract IIRC.

Walsh and Meyer had neither the attachment that Schiano has to RU nor the insight of how what it might take to actually succeed in recruiting at RU. I doubt that Walsh and Meyer ever spent more than 2 consectutive nights in NJ in their lives. Schiano grew up in NJ, and built the RU football program from scratch w the help of Bob Mulcahy. Schiano is very uniquely qualified in that regard.
Schiano's best qualification before he was hired was knowing what he needed and demanding Mulcahy be willing to implement them or he wouldn't accept the job.
I could be wrong but I believe Greg, at first, wasn't gung ho about the RU job and made sure he would get what he thought he needed to succeed before he'd leave Miami for the RU HC position.
You're right Greg has unique insight on what it takes to win at Rutgers and he would be a voice Hobbs should listen to.

My Walsh and Meyer was a bit tongue and cheek , but also partially serious because I didn't think of Greg's list of demands before he accepted the RU HC position.

So I'll accept your reprimand and won't hold a grudge .
But:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Abro1975
Schiano's best qualification before he was hired was knowing what he needed and demanding Mulcahy be willing to implement them or he wouldn't accept the job.
I could be wrong but I believe Greg, at first, wasn't gung ho about the RU job and made sure he would get what he thought he needed to succeed before he'd leave Miami for the RU HC position.
You're right Greg has unique insight on what it takes to win at Rutgers and he would be a voice Hobbs should listen to.

My Walsh and Meyer was a bit tongue and cheek , but also partially serious because I didn't think of Greg's list of demands before he accepted the RU HC position.

So I'll accept your reprimand and won't hold a grudge .
But:
giphy.gif

LOL, that's pretty funny. It's an idea that I'm sure will be disregarded or never considered , anyway, lol. I got way too much time on my hands these days being newly retired. :-)

Iowa State isn't a bad team at all. They're borderline top 25. It was also away and the field was in awful condition.

In an in-state rivalry that was being played for the 65th time since 1895 and has been played every year starting in 1977. Six of the last nine meetings have been decided by six points or less.

I have heard some good, some mediocre and some really bad announcers in college Football. Hundreds of games are being televised and the crew is not always up to speed on issues. We have plenty to worry about but this is not one of them. This is some of our fans feeling sorry for themselves.

Quote from ESPN story on Big Ten Title contenders. Wisconsin is certainly one.

Wisconsin also faces Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State ahead. The Wolverines this week. Iowa is 1-0 in the B1G West. Leading the division, like Northwestern last year, with an early win.

Iowa senior QB Nate Stanley can make some huge throws. Zero interceptions in over 100 attempts. He isn't pretty sometimes, but had two huge first down runs leading to a TD and a FG in the win against a probable Top 25 Iowa State team, on road.

Best 5 Big 12 teams are likely OU, Texas, TCU, Iowa State and K-State. We shall see.

In an in-state rivalry that was being played for the 65th time since 1895 and has been played every year starting in 1977. Six of the last nine meetings have been decided by six points or less.

Iowa won the 67th meeting. 45-22 record. Won fifth straight, 4th straight in Ames. Iowa has won 8 straight road openers. At Minnesota last year. Even at Michigan State in 2012, despite going 4-8.

Kirk Ferentz is 20-10 as an assistant and head coach in this series. 30th game of 67 has been a part of CyHawk Series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT