ADVERTISEMENT

Football Jacob Allen Medically Retires from Football

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Allen was determined to get back on the field and assist the Scarlet Knights, who begin spring practices this week, rebuild under Greg Schiano. But injuries have a way of altering plans and goals, something Allen has experienced in recent months.

After five surgeries and exhausting every possibility to eventually suit up for a game, Allen has medically retired from Rutgers, a decision he came to in the weeks after the team's Pinstripe Bowl's victory following discussions with his family, medical staff and his coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
"He had a dislocated patella. Cartilage had been ripped off from the bottom his kneecap."

Same injury as NYG's Cruz

"One surgery led to two when the knee wasn’t recovering properly from the first. Allen had a Matrix Induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (MACI) and tibial osteotomy. Yet his knee still wasn’t healing correctly.

Another surgery.

Then the screws in his knee bent.

Another surgery – ultimately five in all.

Initially, doctors told Allen it would be just a four-month recovery.

“It was my first surgery ever,” Allen said. “I didn’t really know how to rehab it properly. I think that did factor into it. I learned the hard way how to properly rehab.”

How the heck does that happen?

Bent screws? He was 6' 6" and 290 - big lineman knees can heal rough because of the added weight. Maybe he was squatting or something

Damm shame this kid never had a chance to do his thing in college because of injuries. Esp when the rehab sounded like it was on cluster after another through no fault of his own. I’ll let others talk about this massive screw ups ( no pun…) that others, who should know wtf they’re doing, put this kid through.

Hope he can recover from this to be able to walk or have a good life with this complicating things.

Smart move for his future. Hopefully, these injuries will not become a lifetime problem for him.
Get your degree and have a happy life young man.

Not a surprise after three years of not hearing much about his development.

Best of luck to him.

GO RU

Sad story. Great kid. What a shame. I thought it would just take a little time and he’d be ready to go.
Best of luck Cob.

Bama, Michigan, Aubrun, Ark, FSU, LSU...kid had great offers and only took 6 visits - all to Rutgers

Reactions: WestCoast_RU
Very very sorry to hear about this.
Had high hopes for Jacob on the Field at Rutgers Stadium.
Good luck to this young man.

Reactions: Kbee3
So, we have to go all the way back to 2012 and Darius Hamilton to find a top-rated New Jersey high school recruit that made a significant contribution to Rutgers football.
Amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT