ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Young/Practice Center Mentions

As I said before, I saw him playing five on five pick up for about a half hour with everyone on the team there except Kiss. He was lights out and looked like our best player, but we need another ball on the court because he shoots most every time he touches it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
As I said before, I saw him playing five on five pick up for about a half hour with everyone on the team there except Kiss. He was lights out and looked like our best player, but we need another ball on the court because he shoots most every time he touches it.
If I were a coach, that would seem to me more like a 6th man, Vinnie Johnson type role. Wouldn't want to start a guy that just chucks, but could be a good change of energy 5 to 10 minutes in.

His stats at Texas don't show a guy who takes too many shots. Those are only raw stats with theoretically better/more confident scorers around him.

Reactions: kcg88
If I were a coach, that would seem to me more like a 6th man, Vinnie Johnson type role. Wouldn't want to start a guy that just chucks, but could be a good change of energy 5 to 10 minutes in.
I’m with you. My guess is he gets some starts but is a 6th man change of pace guy. He could easily be 2nd-3rd in scoring as the 6th man.

Hey, if he is making his “chucks” as you say, it wouldn’t be chucking, would it? I’m not saying he’s James harden, but why sit a guy if he shoots AND makes a lot of his shots. That is still to be determined.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Playing pick up is a whole different thing than playing for real.

He's definitely not shy about pulling the trigger from range,.

Going back over the last 15 years... three point attempts per 40 min, career (and 3P%):
8.5 - Douby (.389)
8.3 - Rosario (.328)
8.1 - Shields (.357)
7.8 - Young (.271)
7.7 - Carter (.307)
7.4 - Grier (.354)
7.1 - Baker (.350)
6.6 - Mack (.369)
6.5 - Griffin (.286)
6.3 - Harper (.278)
6.3 - Williams (.285)
6.2 - Kiss (.288)
6.1 - Moore (.317)
5.9 - Beatty (.382)
5.7 - Thiam (.336)
5.6 - Chandler (.293)
5.0 - Johnson (.329)
5.0 - Mitchell (.368)
4.9 - Sanders (.274)
4.9 - Seagears (.363)
4.7 - McConnell (.357)

Young's the only player to average more than 6.5 threes per 40 min with an average less than .300, and has the lowest average of any player who attempted at least 5.0 per 40 min.

His rate picked up from .227 as a freshman to .323 as a sophomore, which was a big jump. Don't know if that's because he got more accurate, or if he just took better-advised shots that were less contested. To justify shooting that many threes, he really needs to tick his rate up closer to .350

Last edited:
Good analysis...did you have to include %s though. :weary:

Bottom line...if an average player on my fantasy baseball player has a better chance of getting a hit than you making a 3 you may need to ease up on the trigger.

I agree with FIG. There were definitely guys saying he would start.

or maybe COULD.

I have my next life all planned out.

Be born in 1999 (year is important)
Play basketball at any college that will take me
Pay for a coach to take me as a transfer (have to do this before March 2019, before news comes out about this practice)
Read message boards telling me how good i will be.

For some non-Rutgers 3P attempt per 40 min comparisons, here are the 12 B1G players who averaged at least 2.0 made threes per game this year:

9.6 - Carsen Edwards (.368)
8.2 - Trent Frazier (.378)
8.2 - Jordan Bohannon (.411)
8.1 - Myles Dread (.356)
7.8 - Ryan Cline (.407)
7.3 - Jordan Poole (.370)
6.8 - Gabe Kalscheur (.410)
6.3 - Matt McQuaid (.394)
6.2 - D'Mitrik Trice (.387)
5.7 - Cassius Winston (.433)
5.3 - Anthony Cowan (.344)
5.2 - Glynn Watson Jr (.349)

7.8 - Jacob Young (.271)

We shall see. We shall see.

How he fits onto a floor with four other players will be important. I am not saying he can't start. But if he is taking every shot and the ball isn't moving, that will be an issue for offensive chemistry. Especially if shots don't hit.

Why don't we just let Pikiell decide who starts and when. I think I have seen Mulcahy and Young both more than everyone else posting on here and I won't even speculate on that. I saw Mulcahy play 12 times over the last 3 years and I attended 14 RU practices this season that just ended and Young practiced all 14 times.

Reactions: dkostus and MadRU
I can tell talent. As much as I like Mulcahy, Young starts FROM DAY 1.
I wasn’t questioning his talent, was remarking on him throwing up a huge number of shots playing pick up. Your style of play is not necessarily going to be the same playing pick up as it will be when you’re ona real game situation.

I wasn’t questioning his talent, was remarking on him throwing up a huge number of shots playing pick up. Your style of play is not necessarily going to be the same playing pick up as it will be when you’re ona real game situation.

No, but if you read his h.s.recruiting profile and look at his stats from Texas, it’s clear he’s a shoot first guard. He’s not going to change into a table-setter overnight. If he makes his shots it won’t hurt chemistry, if he doesn’t and keeps doing it, it could. Only time will tell.

Reactions: hoquat63
We shall see. We shall see.

How he fits onto a floor with four other players will be important. I am not saying he can't start. But if he is taking every shot and the ball isn't moving, that will be an issue for offensive chemistry. Especially if shots don't hit.

Exactly. And this is where our guard depth really helps Pikiell get the most out of each player within the context of the team and each individual game plan.

Carrot (playing time) and the stick (the bench).

I think Jacob Young will be given ample opportunity to be one of the top producers on this team. I hope over this year he has really improved his shooting and shot selection, cause that will really help our O.

Last edited:
Reactions: satnom and higgins3
For some non-Rutgers 3P attempt per 40 min comparisons, here are the 12 B1G players who averaged at least 2.0 made threes per game this year:

9.6 - Carsen Edwards (.368)
8.2 - Trent Frazier (.378)
8.2 - Jordan Bohannon (.411)
8.1 - Myles Dread (.356)
7.8 - Ryan Cline (.407)
7.3 - Jordan Poole (.370)
6.3 - Matt McQuaid (.394)
6.2 - D'Mitrik Trice (.387)
5.7 - Cassius Winston (.433)
5.3 - Anthony Cowan (.344)
5.2 - Glynn Watson Jr (.349)

7.8 - Jacob Young (.271)

We all know what a bad shooting percentage means but for you to self-select a dataset of players who have made two per game and compare it to Young who would not qualify as part of that dataset...is a bad data methodology. Almost by definition you have removed players who were starters this year.

You are then taking two years’ data for Young as the point of comparison. I’m not sure if you are trying to adjust for the sample size problem in some way by doing this, but this completely discounts what was a significant improvement in his percentage from 22.7% to 32.3%. When I see a jump like that, I think he “figured someth8ng out” either mentally, mechanically, or both.

Taken in tandem, it seems your choices are biased toward the “negative” here.

If I wanted to tell a “positive” story, I could be similarly biased in using the data to support my argument. For example, if we take the percentage YoY improvement in 3 pt percentage between his freshman and sophomore years (42.9%) and projecting a similar improvement to his junior season at Rutgers... he would finish with a 46.1% accuracy. This would be good for sixth in the country, #1 in power 5 and far outpace Ryan Cline’s B1G-leading 41.7%!

Comparing starters to role players is unfair to both groups of players because so much in basketball is about the rhythm and context of the game. A kid coming off the bench expected to provide scoring boost is different than a guy who can wait for good opportunities to come his way. On the other hand, he may benefit from not having to play as many minutes against the opponents starters.

If Young gets significant minutes (25) it will likely be because of his defensive ability and athleticism are warrant it in comparison with Mulcahy & Geo. I personally believe a player like him who needs the ball in his hands and shoots a lot needs more minutes to get a feel for the game and relax. If he can improve his 3 pt % to 35%, that would be on par with our two best shooters last year, McConnell & Geo. That’s a good thing.

Young is going to be better than the guys who think he will be terrible expect and worse than the people who think he is going to be great expect. He will have games where we think he is amazing and then a few games where he slumps so each side will be able to say they were right.

Yay.

Young is going to be better than the guys who think he will be terrible expect and worse than the people who think he is going to be great expect. He will have games where we think he is amazing and then a few games where he slumps so each side will be able to say they were right.

Yay.
Prophet

Reactions: dpwhite
Mathis and Baker both have a nice offseason to improve. With all the guards coming in, they will need to improve the most to keep their playing time. Mathis showed a lot, but had a rough end to the season. I think he will be pressed the most by Young and Mulcahy..

Point taken.

We all know what a bad shooting percentage means but for you to self-select a dataset of players who have made two per game and compare it to Young who would not qualify as part of that dataset...is a bad data methodology. Almost by definition you have removed players who were starters this year.

You are then taking two years’ data for Young as the point of comparison. I’m not sure if you are trying to adjust for the sample size problem in some way by doing this, but this completely discounts what was a significant improvement in his percentage from 22.7% to 32.3%. When I see a jump like that, I think he “figured someth8ng out” either mentally, mechanically, or both.

Taken in tandem, it seems your choices are biased toward the “negative” here.

If I wanted to tell a “positive” story, I could be similarly biased in using the data to support my argument. For example, if we take the percentage YoY improvement in 3 pt percentage between his freshman and sophomore years (42.9%) and projecting a similar improvement to his junior season at Rutgers... he would finish with a 46.1% accuracy. This would be good for sixth in the country, #1 in power 5 and far outpace Ryan Cline’s B1G-leading 41.7%!

Comparing starters to role players is unfair to both groups of players because so much in basketball is about the rhythm and context of the game. A kid coming off the bench expected to provide scoring boost is different than a guy who can wait for good opportunities to come his way. On the other hand, he may benefit from not having to play as many minutes against the opponents starters.

If Young gets significant minutes (25) it will likely be because of his defensive ability and athleticism are warrant it in comparison with Mulcahy & Geo. I personally believe a player like him who needs the ball in his hands and shoots a lot needs more minutes to get a feel for the game and relax. If he can improve his 3 pt % to 35%, that would be on par with our two best shooters last year, McConnell & Geo. That’s a good thing.

We've already shown in the past that jumps from freshman->sophomore year in shooting percentage are very rarely matched going from sophomore->junior year. Scoring among star players usually goes up with more shots taken and more minutes played as they advance, not in shooting percentage.

I agree that was probably not the best match of players in the B1G comparison. How about this one:

These are the players in the B1G who shot the highest volume of threes this year, adjusted to show shots per 40 min (because I can't find a straight list of "most 3s per 40 min" in conference). These are the players who pulled the trigger the most often in conference this year - then adjusted to see how often they pulled per minute played. I'll put Young's sophomore season in only, too, to show where he falls out.

11.9 - Carsen Edwards (.355)
8.7 - Ryan Cline (.417)
8.7 - Ryan Taylor (.333)
8.1 - Myles Dread (.356)
8.1 - Trent Frazier (.406)
7.6 - Jordan Bohannon (.383)
7.5 - Andrew Wiggins (.413)
7.4 - Jacob Young (.323)
7.1 - Anthony Cowan (.337)
7.1 - D'Mitrik Trice (.390)
6.9 - Glynn Watson Jr (.383)
6.8 - James Palmer (.313)
6.7 - Geo Baker (.341)
6.7 - Vic Law (.335)
6.6 - Jordan Poole (.369)
6.5 - CJ Jackson (.367)
6.4 - Cassius Winston (.404)
6.1 - Matt McQuaid (.422)
5.5 - Kenny Goins (.352)
5.4 - Dupree McBrayer (.280)

Any way you want to cut it, Young puts up a *lot* of three pointers vs his time on the floor, which is the primary point I'm trying to make. Even taking just is sophomore season where he put up 7.4 per 40 and excluding his freshman season where he put up 8.1 per 40, it's still a lot of attempts - he doesn't seem to hesitate when he's got any look from beyond the arc.

As a secondary point, he hasn't hit those threes with the same regularity of other players who put up that many shots.

It's possible this is a role concern, as others have mentioned - that's the way he was used, and that's what the coaches wanted him to do, and we may use him in a different way. I'm hoping that's the case. It's clear, though, that he has no fear of putting up shots from range..

No, but if you read his h.s.recruiting profile and look at his stats from Texas, it’s clear he’s a shoot first guard. He’s not going to change into a table-setter overnight. If he makes his shots it won’t hurt chemistry, if he doesn’t and keeps doing it, it could. Only time will tell.
Agreed. I know people say hes a pg but im telling you hes not. Hes the epitome of a sg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT