ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Jalen Berger top five

Damn ya’ll last two coaches really f’ed up your self-esteem. Why can’t Rutgers be an Alpha? You guys are all in and I think the kid actually believes what the new head coach is selling. I even think the kid was coming if ash was still there. Kid doesn’t seem like he is impressed with all the glitz and glamor or the elite schools.

Coach Saban is that you?

Whoever you are, thanks for adopting Rutgers as your number two school.

it is tough to turn down the tradition and a team with a resume of 9-10 wins a year every year. In addition, they have a coach with longevity and a history of turning out NFL talent.

Until Greg gets a few seasons in while winning some big games Rutgers is a risk still.

But he does have a history of success in the college ranks.

Rutgers will be in the top 20 in 3 years. It's about the Jimmy and Joe's and Schiano can recruit with the best of them. Recruits now are not settling they are building something speacial. We are a Big Ten Team. Just need more of the top players. It's going to happen.

it is tough to turn down the tradition and a team with a resume of 9-10 wins a year every year. In addition, they have a coach with longevity and a history of turning out NFL talent.

Until Greg gets a few seasons in while winning some big games Rutgers is a risk still.

I know...

Don't remind me. I hate TTFP football more than any other sports team.

wasn't Saquon Barkely a verbal to Rutgers? If the kid is truly a stud it is tough to say no to 4 of the top perennial programs to choose Rutgers.

I project PSU or Wisconsin

That is when we had Fudd as HC.
Greg will close the deal.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
These posts come up with every NJ recruit. Forgotten? You think Wisconsin forgot Ron Dayne? You think they'll forget Taylor?
....if those guys passed me on NJ street, I wouldn't give a damn. I'd truly ignore them.

Now, the guys who played for GS from 2005 to 2010, I'd buy them a drink.

So, go ahead and leave. When you come back, oh, and you will come back to the coast, you'll be just another Fredo.

I know ONE thing, Greg will recruit this kid till the last minute.

Where he goes ?

UCLA; pure cluster of a program. Homeless are all over that section of LA.
LSU; Still fighting the War of Northern Aggression that far souff.
Wisky; Not the straight ahead cloud of plastic tire beads runner they like.
What were the others ?

Doesn't matter Rutgers is the place for him.

My Questions; ?
Does he run track ?
What are his real numbers? Ht/Wg and 40 time.

and my old fuddy dutty disclaimer; Does he have to posture after every play ?

....if those guys passed me on NJ street, I wouldn't give a damn. I'd truly ignore them.

Now, the guys who played for GS from 2005 to 2010, I'd buy them a drink.

So, go ahead and leave. When you come back, oh, and you will come back to the coast, you'll be just another Fredo.
So you're saying forgotten by Rutgers football fans? I think he'll live.

Who could ever forget Ron "No Gain" Dayne in this area?
What a bum. Who gives a fig what he did in Wisconsin?

But he does have a history of success in the college ranks.
Hs recruits don’t remember 2006, they were 3-4 years old at that point. Hs seniors this year were in 3rd grade when Greg left for the Bucs.... Greg needs to basically come in and start over from scratch, not saying he can’t do it but this ‘clout’ that many fans think Greg has within HS football circles is really nothing special. There’s a reason no one hired him when he’s been available the last 6 years. Once we start being competent on the field and develop our own style that’s when the higher level recruits will start taking notice.

Hs recruits don’t remember 2006, they were 3-4 years old at that point. Hs seniors this year were in 3rd grade when Greg left for the Bucs.... Greg needs to basically come in and start over from scratch, not saying he can’t do it but this ‘clout’ that many fans think Greg has within HS football circles is really nothing special. There’s a reason no one hired him when he’s been available the last 6 years. Once we start being competent on the field and develop our own style that’s when the higher level recruits will start taking notice.

However the High School Coaches remember and know Greg Schiano.

GS is the guys who got RU into the Top 10. GS is the guy who was a head coach in the NFL and that is an insane accomplishment (Trent Dilfer may have sucked, but he's only 1 of 50 winning Super Bowl QBs). GS is a guy who was a DC for "THE" Ohio State. Yeah, GS 2.0 will get it done more so this time around.

3yr to 4yrs, it will be Pandemonium in Piscataway again.

I'd say Wisconsin fans care. As do South Jersey football fans who saw him at Overbrook.
A bunch of Uncle Ricos from his hometown in South Jersey, and cheese curd eaters from the frozen tundra. Great future selling Tupperware & making appearances at car dealerships for their semi-annual clearance sale.

A bunch of Uncle Ricos from his hometown in South Jersey, and cheese curd eaters from the frozen tundra. Great future selling Tupperware & making appearances at car dealerships for their semi-annual clearance sale.
First of all, I grew up one town away, so you can GFY right there. Secondly, Dayne made over 10mil in his NFL career, so I'd say Wisconsin was a good decision and he isn't selling much Tupperware these days.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
However the High School Coaches remember and know Greg Schiano.
Some do yes but they also know Jim Harbaugh, James Franklin, Nick Saban and others as well. There’s been a lot of turnover as well in the last 9 years at the Hs level.
The only way we’re going to consistently land these types of kids is showing relevance on the field. Remember we got two 4*’s with ash’s first cycle so it’s typical for one or 2 four stars to commit with a new coach. The key is a sustained ability to land 3-4 of those types of kids a year. For those who think recruiting ratings don’t matter, well we’ve had a team full of ‘underrated 3*’s’ the last few years and look at the results

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING

Dude, get the F out of here with this shit.
You are pathetic posting this crap on a RU message board.

“They have a coach with a history of turning out NFL talent?”

What the F do you think Schiano has done his whole career?

Damn ya’ll last two coaches really f’ed up your self-esteem. Why can’t Rutgers be an Alpha? You guys are all in and I think the kid actually believes what the new head coach is selling. I even think the kid was coming if ash was still there. Kid doesn’t seem like he is impressed with all the glitz and glamor or the elite schools.

As dontestrond implies, your tone sucks.

GS is the guys who got RU into the Top 10. GS is the guy who was a head coach in the NFL and that is an insane accomplishment (Trent Dilfer may have sucked, but he's only 1 of 50 winning Super Bowl QBs). GS is a guy who was a DC for "THE" Ohio State. Yeah, GS 2.0 will get it done more so this time around.

3yr to 4yrs, it will be Pandemonium in Piscataway again.

GS got Rutgers into the top 10 for one week almost 15 years ago, is best known in the nfl as the coach who had his team blitzing kneel downs while other teams were just ending a game up multiple scores, then proceeded to go to Ohio State and once he left the defense got much better! Not to mention DC at Ohio State means next to nothing as far as being a HC considering the DC there before Schiano arrived was a guy named chris Ash who won a national championship with them....

I’m not taking anything away from what he did here over a decade ago, but answer me this, if Greg is soo amazing why hasn’t any other team hired him as their HC when he’s been available since 2013? What other team this year had any interest whatsoever in him as a HC besides Rutgers?

I will be the first to admit I hope I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong, however I believe strongly that this was not a good hire for Rutgers moving forward and old fans are just having a moment of nostalgia seeing his name

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU_Nut
GS got Rutgers into the top 10 for one week almost 15 years ago, is best known in the nfl as the coach who had his team blitzing kneel downs while other teams were just ending a game up multiple scores, then proceeded to go to Ohio State and once he left the defense got much better. I’m not taking anything away from what he did here over a decade ago, but answer me this, if Greg is soo amazing why hasn’t any other team hired him as their HC when he’s been available since 2013? What other team this year had any interest whatsoever in him as a HC besides Rutgers?

I will be the first to admit I hope I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong, however I believe strongly that this was not a good hire for Rutgers moving forward and old fans are just having a moment of nostalgia seeing his name
Because GS is a f'in Jersey guy. We can only succeed in our Tri State area. That is why a mid westeren failed here and GS wasn't picked out up outside. Tenn tried....

GS is our guy and Jersey parents and the Jersey HS coaches know it, trust it, believe it.

Because GS is a f'in Jersey guy. We can only succeed in our Tri State area. That is why a mid westeren failed here and GS wasn't picked out up outside. Tenn tried....

GS is our guy and Jersey parents and the Jersey HS coaches know it, trust it, believe it.

I really hope you are right however I truly believe you are mistaken. My worry is really what happens if/when GS fails, then what do our fans who are still holding onto 2006 have? Tennessee did try a few years ago and look at what happened, their fans basically rioted at the idea that he would be the coach, they used the Sandusky story as a scapegoat however the real reason was because they knew he wasn’t a good hire.

the reality is outside of Rutgers circles Greg schiano is not a coach anyone wanted yet our fans act like he’s the best possible option and we just landed this guy that everyone was chasing. Landing him as a coach is the equivalent of a 3* recruit with no other P5 offers choosing Rutgers, we have a bunch of those guys currently, how’s it turned out for us?

I really hope you are right however I truly believe you are mistaken. My worry is really what happens if/when GS fails, then what do our fans who are still holding onto 2006 have? Tennessee did try a few years ago and look at what happened, their fans basically rioted at the idea that he would be the coach, they used the Sandusky story as a scapegoat however the real reason was because they knew he wasn’t a good hire.

the reality is outside of Rutgers circles Greg schiano is not a coach anyone wanted yet our fans act like he’s the best possible option and we just landed this guy that everyone was chasing. Landing him as a coach is the equivalent of a 3* recruit with no other P5 offers choosing Rutgers, we have a bunch of those guys currently, how’s it turned out for us?

GS wasn't a Southerner and that is why Tenn rioted, IMO.

Reactions: BigWill
I hear you. But also remember you telling this board repeatedly that Ash was a really good coach and had things going in the right direction

Reactions: ATIOH
I hear you. But also remember you telling this board repeatedly that Ash was a really good coach and had things going in the right direction
I really did thou. I think Ash had a black cat up his ass because everything that could’ve went wrong, went wrong. If you look at his tenure, he never got a break to go his way. Everything just went wrong. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

That’s the problem. Thinking only a jersey guy can win there. It’s myopic thinking. Jersey is a weird place but it isn’t Mars. Good coaches can coach anywhere.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I really did thou. I think Ash had a black cat up his ass because everything that could’ve went wrong, went wrong. If you look at his tenure, he never got a break to go his way. Everything just went wrong. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

What mostly went wrong, imho, is that Ash didn’t know how to run a program, never marketed RU FB and never got a QB that could make plays at the P5 level. His relationships with NJ HS coaches seem like they were distant, at best.

Greg knows what it takes to win at RU and he is all in to make it happen in the future.

While I was not a big Greg fan after 2007 I am most impressed with the energy he is bringing to RU FB. Energy is another trait that Ash was lacking.

LSU; Still fighting the War of Northern Aggression that far souff.
?

Will - One of my housemates went to grad school at LSU. I’ve met a bunch of his friends from LSU. LSU is probably the most liberal school in the SEC and one of the more liberal schools in the south. To make a comment like that about LSU - while there definitely is definitely a large segment of older alumni and a segment of students who are true “Deep South” types - is a tad off-base these days.

Reactions: RUinBoston
I’ve said this before imo biggest failure was never getting the OC right and not living up to what he said he was going to do on offense at his opening presser. Wasn’t enthused about any of his OC choices if he had gotten that right I think he’d still be here now.

What mostly went wrong, imho, is that Ash didn’t know how to run a program, never marketed RU FB and never got a QB that could make plays at the P5 level. His relationships with NJ HS coaches seem like they were distant, at best.

Greg knows what it takes to win at RU and he is all in to make it happen in the future.

While I was not a big Greg fan after 2007 I am most impressed with the energy he is bringing to RU FB. Energy is another trait that Ash was lacking.
And he couldn't recruit where it all starts--in the trenches. Other than all of this, Mrs Lincoln thought the play wasn't too bad.:flush:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT