ADVERTISEMENT

James Madison and Appalachin State lose their entire starting fives to the portal

This Is Stupid No Way GIF by Deadstream

Reactions: KK1827
Entering portal doesn’t necessarily mean they are leaving. It shows they are trying to see their worth.

Next year i could see almost all players doing it…more as a solidarity move for their fellow student athletes. Removes stigma if going in the portal

if the nba or nfl only had players on 1 year contracts, it would look like this…

For most of these players, they will never make it professionally in the US and NIL is their way of making money. It is about the name on back of Jersey for them. They make more money now than after college.

this is college free agency.

Entering portal doesn’t necessarily mean they are leaving. It shows they are trying to see their worth.

Next year i could see almost all players doing it…more as a solidarity move for their fellow student athletes. Removes stigma if going in the portal
Correct. These players easily could be re-recruited to the same school or get their value matched or increased

In some cases Kids could leave because of a toxic teammate and then enter portal and when the other person enters could go bac

Correct. These players easily could be re-recruited to the same school or get their value matched or increased

In some cases Kids could leave because of a toxic teammate and then enter portal and when the other person enters could go bac
Also show their team they mean business so give me your best offer.

Reactions: Knightmoves

But entering the portal does mean that you are relinquishing your right of scholarship renewal, as Paul Mulcahy can attest.

Now after Good seasons the HC is not the only one looking for the best deal.
Next players will have to buy out their remaining eligibility years in order to leave.
With NILs a major reason for players entering the portal, I think they should have to buy out their scholarship like coaches have to buy out their contracts.

I don't blame the players as much as I blame boosters that have turned the NIL into a recruiting tool .
Now getting players NIL money has become part of every program's athletic department's recruiting effort

Say it isn't so, this only happens at Rutgers!!! But yeah the portal is out of control. Schools will be lucky to field the same teams yearly. As seen by star players leaving in numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: knight82
Two mid majors who had excellent years are starting from scratch. This nonsense is ruining the sport.
Very happy for these kids to get their chance to live out their dreams playing at the types of programs they were hoping to get recruited at out of high school. Plus side too is they free up five scholarships that may provide opportunities for some high school recruits to keep the status quo.

Two mid majors who had excellent years are starting from scratch. This nonsense is ruining the sport.
If there is no NIL, this doesn't happen. This is the prime example of the RU situation; Cannot get mad at Gavin, just frustrated that it’s happening. Does anyone really believe that he transfers with no NIL? There is no loyalty anymore; but that’s because of the NCAA not doing their job. Everyone saw this coming; now Congress needs to step in, but they won’t; and if they do they will screw it up, obviously.

Das Kapital.... I wouldn't take offense by this whole new dynamic. It's a marketplace. That said, go after the best combination of talent and character you can afford. Then, once on board, give them reasons to stay, beyond the $$$.

Reactions: BillyC80
They would be going from a good school to a great school.
Well... kind of. I'd recast that statement a bit, and say "They would be going from a good PROGRAM to a great PROGRAM." The quality of "the school" (academics and academic standing) has nothing to do with it in this era of NIL.

Reactions: blueoyster
Well... kind of. I'd recast that statement a bit, and say "They would be going from a good PROGRAM to a great PROGRAM." The quality of "the school" (academics and academic standing) has nothing to do with it in this era of NIL.

Oh is that right ?

Here's a heads up----with alot of kids it does.

Every Division 1 basketball player is not a gum chewing , baseball hat on sideways idiot.

If there is no NIL, this doesn't happen. This is the prime example of the RU situation; Cannot get mad at Gavin, just frustrated that it’s happening. Does anyone really believe that he transfers with no NIL? There is no loyalty anymore; but that’s because of the NCAA not doing their job. Everyone saw this coming; now Congress needs to step in, but they won’t; and if they do they will screw it up, obviously.
I don’t view Gavin as a casualty of NIL. The way his recruitment went down, he strikes me as a guy unhappy with his utilization and perceived fit

I was a college athlete (for a short time). I loved my college experience. I had so many friends both on the team, but also just in the dorms, from classes, from parties, and other extracurriculars. I realize being a college athlete is close to a full time job, but from a purely social life standpoint I can't believe so many kids want to bail on their university that they seemingly chose for good reason. It's crazy how these 18 year old kids ditch friends and a comfortable setting to jump into the unknown... especially the ones not getting big bucks going from one midmajor to another

I was a college athlete (for a short time). I loved my college experience. I had so many friends both on the team, but also just in the dorms, from classes, from parties, and other extracurriculars. I realize being a college athlete is close to a full time job, but from a purely social life standpoint I can't believe so many kids want to bail on their university that they seemingly chose for good reason. It's crazy how these 18 year old kids ditch friends and a comfortable setting to jump into the unknown... especially the ones not getting big bucks going from one midmajor to another
Gotta admit... I've thought about this, too. I guess more young people today are risk-takers than when I was their age.

For portal mania next year I want to see every players name get written on a piece of paper crumpled up and thrown in a barrel.

Then each coach takes turns grabbing one handful of paper slips.

Then let’s see who can build winning teams. Who gets lucky etc.
Players will be rewarded through the value of their name image and likeness regardless of where they land because. That’s what they are being paid for right?
Their comp won’t even change.

It will be fun.

In the past graduation rates for athletes was a important factor in evaluating athletic departments.Now athletes will be considered temp employees paid on a yearly basis.

Everyone’s quick to jump on the NIL hate train, but I’d argue this is more due to the monumental changes to the transfer rules. Gavin Griffiths NIL value is much lower now than it was 1 year ago.
And how many of the over 1100 guys in the portal don't find a home or wind up in a worse situation? Not everyone is going to be a winner here. Lots will be in portal limbo when they don't find a home meaning they won't be playing or progressing towards a degree.

And how many of the over 1100 guys in the portal don't find a home or wind up in a worse situation? Not everyone is going to be a winner here. Lots will be in portal limbo when they don't find a home meaning they won't be playing or progressing towards a degree.
I heard Hobbs say in the podcast the other day that 40% won't land a spot. IDK where he got that number.

JMU coach left right after their tournament exit (went to Vandy). But I guess that's fine
And for the 1st 10 yrs. of his career he was eating sh*t sandwiches as an assistant at Charleston. Players play 4 yrs. of high school and want a big bag just to enter college. It took Nick Saban 15 yrs. to see his 1st million dollar payday, we have two kids coming in probably making close to that already.

I don’t view Gavin as a casualty of NIL. The way his recruitment went down, he strikes me as a guy unhappy with his utilization and perceived fit
If that’s the case, how could he not have seen this coming? What has he been watching the past few years to have been enamored with us offensively? I think he disappointed himself and is looking for excuses and saving face. At the same time, there is additional fault to go around. Not a fit. Not like we haven’t seen it before.

This might sound a little "get off my lawn", but I have to imagine the prevalence of social media and the 24/7 connectedness from cell phones like the one I am typing on right now have ironically contributed to a loss in personal interactions and connections. I would have found it VERY HARD to transfer out of RU after a year or two, even for a supposedly better opportunity.

Reactions: RUDave_01
If that’s the case, how could he not have seen this coming? What has he been watching the past few years to have been enamored with us offensively? I think he disappointed himself and is looking for excuses and saving face. At the same time, there is additional fault to go around. Not a fit. Not like we haven’t seen it before.
Well it sounds like Pike has been selling a vision of a new offense the last year or two. So while the Rutgers of old may not have suited Gavin, the one outlined to him in his recruitment — and what we heard all offseason — fast-paced, up and down, playing in transition, may have sounded a bit better. Now in actuality we know that offense did not come to fruition

Would agree disappointing himself plays a role in his transfer, but I think he just views other programs / coaches as being a better fit for his game (which I don’t necessarily disagree with)

Reactions: Mr Magoo
JMU just hired coach from Morehead State, my Alma Mater, Preston Spradlin. Fabulous coach. They will be good.

Reactions: tm_nj
He didn't like the amount of shooters that Pike was targeting in the portal. Competition apparently was an issue. End of the day you want the guys that want to compete so maybe this was a bullet dodged with him leaving now.

These are the kids who were in high school during Covid. Freshmen now were freshmen when it happened. They don’t know how to form social lives.

Ya this is crazy.....

Let's get Simpson back in the starting lineup!!
That's what everyone wants right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT