ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Van Gundy Chimes In

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The raucous atmosphere left a lasting impression on Van Gundy.

"The Penn State game, at home, was the loudest college arena I've ever been in," Van Gundy said. "It was deafening. ...It was as big a factor as anything into us winning."

Read that Jeff said it was loudest arena he had been in. Also said if we got good would not lose at home, last year for example.

32 years ago, when Jeff had hair...

159766823_10222445402536942_3388434266511005391_o.jpg

Last edited:
Read that Jeff said it was loudest arena he had been in. Also said if we got good would not lose at home, last year for example.

As I approached the RAC that day I could hear the roar of the crowd a good distance away on the outside. For a moment I was concerned that I had the start time of the game wrong, and the game already in progress
No, it was the crowd just getting cranked up 1/2 an hour before tip-off
Never heard it like that before

Paterno was AD at time, commented could not believe how loud it was.

I will take his word for it because he was there for all of it, but some of those Knick playoff games that he coached under Riley and later him as HC - man MSG got loud. That playoff game vs. the Heat following the suspensions on a Friday at MSG was insane.

Reactions: newell138
Did Jeff offer any advice for Turgeon the next time Maryland plays Michigan? If Turgeon went at it with Howard he would have looked like Van Gundy getting the sock puppet ride from Alonso Mourning. 😂

home.jpg
Had good seats for that one! Another insane Knick-Heat playoff game at MSG.

That game is the loudest event I have ever been to. If you yelled to the person next to you they could not hear you. My ears rang for days.

Reactions: shields
I didn't even realize van gundy worked here. It's INSANE what happens in the media when RU does anything significant. We live in the damn media/population capital of the united states. My goodness just get over the hump. Sky is the limit.

Reactions: shields
I couldn't score tix to that A-10 championship game so I can't comment on the noise level except for what I could hear while watching it on TV. For me, I would say that the loudest RU (or any basketball) crowd I've ever been a part of was the game against junior Larry Bird and his Indiana State team in the second round of the 1978 NIT when RU handed Bird his next-to-last loss as a collegian. ISU didn't lose again till the Final Four of his senior season. That crowd was so loud that the small number of ISU fans there were looking around as if thinking "these people are insane!"

That was the first year of the RAC and it was already obvious what a great home court advantage the building could be.

Reactions: nyurutgers
I will take his word for it because he was there for all of it, but some of those Knick playoff games that he coached under Riley and later him as HC - man MSG got loud. That playoff game vs. the Heat following the suspensions on a Friday at MSG was insane.

The Penn State game, at home, was the loudest college arena I've ever been in," Van Gundy said.

you could be right about the Knick game, JVG says the Rutgers - psu game was the loudest college game he ever heard.

Edit - Tango beat me too it. Also I was at the game high in the 300 section and it’s was crazy loud near the metal roof.

My memory may be wrong but the 76 team in the barn was at least as loud as the RAC. When the fans screamed and stomped their feet and paint chips fell from the ceiling, it was insanely loud.

The PSU game was my first college sporting event. Needless to say, I was in awe.
I was a senior in '89, and after going through the Littlepage years of losing, this was a joy ride of a season and just an incredible game to be at. My brother and I were crying on the court after we won.

Reactions: Big East Beast
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT