ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Carino previews men's hoops on The Scarlet Spotlight podcast (Link)

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Rutgers hoops fans, beat writer Jerry Carino previews the 2019-20 men's basketball season on The Scarlet Spotlight podcast.

As you will hear, Jerry breaks down the team (which he has high hopes for, recruiting, the Seton Hall rivalry, and provides a "hot take" on the football coaching siutation.

Note: This episode was recorded before the softball story broke.

Listen now https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2019/10/31/episode-41-jerry-carino

Would love feedback and your predictions for this year's team in comments below.

Thanks,

Jon

Yup. Are there enough bigs might be an issue. We'll have to see how things pan out.

He's right on the money but there are question marks that will be answered soon. I think avoiding injuries is critical for every team but this team in particular. The question marks for me are as follows?

1. Is Jacob Young all that he's predicted to be? He might be the fastest on the court but it remains to be seen how good he is? Does he nail the open 3s or is he inconsistent like he was in his time at Texas? Not knocking him; but he's getting press like he's averaging 23 points and 7 assists before he plays his first game. I hope he does it but it's still a question?

2. What contributions do we get from Paul in his first year? How long does it take before he gets it going and does his lack of shooting hurt us at all? How much does his passing help us? Can he defend in his first year?

3. Yeboah and Doucoure. How much does Yeboah replace Gene's productivity and defense? Does Doucore find his niche? Can he become a real post player and not take the poor shots he took as a freshman? Can he stay out of foul trouble?

Reactions: BillyC80
Carino expecting NIT and one of the hosts saying 18-19 wins. Like it. Think that's a very likely outcome with upside for a couple more... Injuries to the bigs could derail the season is my one concern

Loved the eposiode. The talk about the SHU-RU series and this years game got me all juiced up! Got my ticket as part of 4 pack and super excited for those games + the MSG game vs Mich !! I think if the team gets a good early start the starved RU fans (football & basketball) are going to be super amped bringing them RAC to its 2000-2007 days

Great episode. Jerry is always a good listen.

And The Scarlet Spotlight has become my favorite Rutgers related podcast.

Reactions: rutgersfandan
Enjoyed the podcast. Jerry citing Ron as most-improved (with Caleb as a close second) was eye-opening. Minutes from bigs was his main concern. Said Luke Nathan holds his own in practice and may be needed to give a few minutes here and there.

Sees the SHU game excitement as huge and warranted. He projects us as an NIT team, with NCAA in the realm of possibility. Thinks Geo will split PG time roughly 50/50 with Young. Sees Caleb as the first guy off the bench, who will play major minutes. Looks at Yeboah as a perimeter guy, not a replacement for Gene. Thinks Paul can have a big development arc within his first year.

Wonders whether a Schiano hire would negatively impact b-ball financially, as Greg had a reputation of siphoning funds into football when he was here the first time (I don’t see that happening this time around, but understand his concern).

Said we are so deep at guard we will definitely push the ball, and he likes our versatility and guard size. Said Mathis has improved his shot a bit and will still be counted on to contribute like before. Thinks our 4-game, 11-day December gauntlet of at-Pitt, at-MSU, then Wisky and SHU at home will tell the tale of what’s possible for us this year.

He's right on the money but there are question marks that will be answered soon. I think avoiding injuries is critical for every team but this team in particular. The question marks for me are as follows?

1. Is Jacob Young all that he's predicted to be? He might be the fastest on the court but it remains to be seen how good he is? Does he nail the open 3s or is he inconsistent like he was in his time at Texas? Not knocking him; but he's getting press like he's averaging 23 points and 7 assists before he plays his first game. I hope he does it but it's still a question?

2. What contributions do we get from Paul in his first year? How long does it take before he gets it going and does his lack of shooting hurt us at all? How much does his passing help us? Can he defend in his first year?

3. Yeboah and Doucoure. How much does Yeboah replace Gene's productivity and defense? Does Doucore find his niche? Can he become a real post player and not take the poor shots he took as a freshman? Can he stay out of foul trouble?

Not sure what you mean by Mulcahy’s “lack of shooting”. If you mean he doesn’t take shots, well we’ll see. But having seen his stroke, I think he is going to be a good or very good shooter for us over the years.

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback. As always Jerry delivers.

You guys do a great job..love the passion. Jerry does a great job, does his homework and always look forward to his thoughts on our team. I share his "big" man depth concern too..Pike counting on us staying healthy..wish we had a redshirt BIG in case we suffer a tough injury( hate to even think about this). Excellent quality on these podcasts..keep it going guys!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT