ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey Mike's founder and CEO

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Peter Cancro, former high school football captain at Point Pleasant Beach High School, appearing on CNBC in a few minutes.

Could Peter become a Rutgers NIL big shot? In April, Steve Politi ranked Peter #23 most influential Rutgers sports person. Perhaps Peter aims to move up the rankings.

After the interview, I'll post any Rutgers sports hints in this thread.

Interviewer Becky Quick is a Rutgers grad and former Targum editor.

Peter's high school football coach loaned him $$ for first Jersey Mike's.

Peter plans 1,100 stores in 3 years.

Becky: "My favorite expense that you have is Rutgers, the Rutgers Athletic Center."

Peter: "With Coach Schiano this year, things are strong."

Those quotes come from end-of-interview small talk banter.

Peter and 2 other people in his family live within a 5 minute walk from my house. I spoke to him about renaming the RAC at a Halloween party last year, and giving him some heat being a SHU guy. Peter LOVES football and he loves advertising , but he is neutral about RU football or basketball.
I thought it was a brilliant move as they want to expand more in the Midwest and west , especially now that more west coast teams will be playing at the RAC.

Peter and 2 other people in his family live within a 5 minute walk from my house. I spoke to him about renaming the RAC at a Halloween party last year, and giving him some heat being a SHU guy. Peter LOVES football and he loves advertising , but he is neutral about RU football or basketball.
I thought it was a brilliant move as they want to expand more in the Midwest and west , especially now that more west coast teams will be playing at the RAC.
I just bought a house in the library section of PPB right near his house. Hi neighbor!

Super info. Looks like Peter made a timely decision getting naming rights ahead of a national store opening binge at a time the basketball arena should be getting more national publicity.

Let us see if he ends the naming rights deal early if Rutgers can’t complete the arena renovation agreed in the deal.

Here's a business question :

What is the cost of a national commercial during a nationally televised college basketball game?

And how does that compare to getting RU Basketball on national tv as a top team via NIL donations, so Jersey Mike's arena is showcased at all those games when home games are shown?

In other words can the case be made that a nationally ranked RU BB team coupled with his naming rights deal is a really good advertising strategy.

What is the cost of a national commercial during a nationally televised college basketball game?

And how does that compare to getting RU Basketball on national tv as a top team via NIL donations, so Jersey Mike's arena is showcased at all those games when home games are shown?

In other words can the case be made that a nationally ranked RU BB team coupled with his naming rights deal is a really good advertising strategy.
Yes! Most definitely will be advantageous for him to pay Big NIL money to help Rutgers be ranked every year!
(I have of course zero information to support my claim except my fandom).

Yes! Most definitely will be advantageous for him to pay Big NIL money to help Rutgers be ranked every year!
(I have of course zero information to support my claim except my fandom).

Seems like an absolute given that the better RU is the more exposure that Jersey Mikes will get from the naming rights

What does that mean in terms of value? No idea :)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
They are also sponsors of OSU and MSU basketball

A little OT for the thread - Each year JM’s gives out a $40,000 scholarship to a graduating PPBHS student. Shows you classy the organization is.
Could you point me to a link with application details?

Not sure how that works. Maybe check out the website. Had a relative who had kids there tell me.
I am not sure what you wrote about a $40,000 scholarship each year for PPBHS students is accurate.

According to Jersey Mike’s, the $40,000 is the total amount donated to high schools over the past four years.

The $40,000 scholarships you described do not appear to exist. Peter is a genius marketer.

Could some of our players appear in some JM commercials. Ace, Dylan and maybe Pikiell.

In short, no. It can cost between $100-300k for a 30 second national broadcast spot.

That’s a lot of hoagies.

A good advertising strategy would be much more targeted to markets where they already have stores or will be shortly.

Sponsorship usually has more to it and better idea because it usually Has the ins to other less expensive media (digital, email, social, direct mail).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT