ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Delany says B1G winner should not be in Playoffs

Delaney is an idoit......Michigan is a 2-loss conference team! Did you forget that both teams that beat them were not division champions. Just because you blow out all the competition doesn't mean you are the best.
You're the idiot. For some unknown reason the B1G once again gave you the easiest crossover schedule. Then once again you scheduled a light OOC for the umpteenth time.

Blame your AD, blame your coach or blame the B1Gschedule makers for your easy schedule. But the playoff committee has stated you schedule lightly you'll be penalized for it. Welcome to finally paying for your easy scheduling. Don't bitch it's helped you out the past 5yrs.

The interview is up on ESPN.com. He never said that.
Of course he never said it. Delany would be perfectly happy if OSU, Mich, PSU and Wisconsin all make it (I'm just saying).

What he doesn't want, and what none of us should want, is a BIG rep getting smoked.

End the 4 team playoff if winning your conference doesn't matter.
Make it 8 teams, the P-5 conference champions , one non p-5 conference champ
and 2 at large based on rankings
I'm not a big fan of the Nits but if they beat the Badgers, they should jump over Ohio St and Michigan where the playoff invites are concerned .
If Wisconsin takes the B1G Title , same scenario

Reactions: 17Q66
You argue it by putting more weight behind a conference championship than a singular head to head meeting.

Not saying I agree, just how it can be argued.

Personally, I hate the subjectivity involved in picking the 4 teams, though it's light years better than the 2 teams of the BCS era. Just go to 8, P5 conference champs automatically qualify, top ranked group of 5 is in, and 2 at large wild cards.
... or just get rid of the playoffs, forget the BCS, play the bowl games as aligned, then pick up two teams from the bowl champions and let them play one final title game.

Reactions: Queztastic
... but that Michigan needs to be considered. PSU crowd is going nuts on BWI, lol....
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/delaney-says-b1g-winner-should-not-be-in.158620/

I agree with Delaney in terms of the merits of the respective teams, after all Michigan did beat both teams, PSU handily, but must say that I'm still really surprised that he said that.

B1G Conference Play:

Penn State 8-1
Michigan 7-2
Wisconsin 7-2

Head-To-Head Matchups:
Michigan beat Wisconsin by 7 points
Michigan beat Penn State by 39 points
Penn State and Wisconsin haven't played yet

Michigan 2-0
Wisconsin 0-1
Penn State 0-1

Conference Points Scored:
Michigan 492
Penn State 439
Wisconsin 340

Conference Points Given Up:
Michigan 150
Wisconsin 164
Penn State 273

Conference Point Differential:
Michigan +342
Wisconsin +176
Penn State +166

Best OOC Win:
Michigan beat Colorado by 17 points

Worst OOC Loss:
Pittsburgh beat Penn State by 3 points

Michigan is much closer to Washington than
Wisconsin or Penn State is to Michigan.

Of course he never said it. Delany would be perfectly happy if OSU, Mich, PSU and Wisconsin all make it (I'm just saying).

What he doesn't want, and what none of us should want, is a BIG rep getting smoked.

According to teamrankings.com, the B1G plays some of the strongest schedules in the country(see link below).

1 Ohio State
2 Michigan
3 Alabama
4 LSU
5 Wisconsin

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Schedule Strength of Committee Top 10:

01 Alabama 3rd strongest schedule
02 Ohio State 1st strongest schedule
03 Clemson 9th strongest schedule
04 Washington 17th strongest schedule
05 Michigan 2nd strongest schedule
06 Wisconsin 5th strongest schedule
07 Penn State 14th strongest schedule
08 Colorado 11th strongest schedule
09 Oklahoma 10th strongest schedule
10 Oklahoma State 49th strongest schedule

B1G Conference Play:

Penn State 8-1
Michigan 7-2
Wisconsin 7-2

Head-To-Head Matchups:

Michigan 2-0
Wisconsin 0-1
Penn State 0-1

Michigan 492
Penn State 439
Wisconsin 340

Michigan 150
Wisconsin 164
Penn State 273

Michigan +342
Wisconsin +176
Penn State +166

Best OOC Win:

Worst OOC Loss:

Wow, PSUPOWER, I'm impressed by the objective analysis, well done!

B1G Conference Play:

Penn State 8-1
Michigan 7-2
Wisconsin 7-2

Head-To-Head Matchups:

Michigan 2-0
Wisconsin 0-1
Penn State 0-1

Michigan 492
Penn State 439
Wisconsin 340

Michigan 150
Wisconsin 164
Penn State 273

Michigan +342
Wisconsin +176
Penn State +166

Best OOC Win:

Worst OOC Loss:

Solid analysis. Thanks for that info.

Pretty funny because the existence of a conference championship is what he used as a criteria for getting OSU in during the 2014 debate.

OSU should be in...no question. If we take care of business today and Clemson loses then UM should not be in. They've lost 2/3 and haven't done jack for almost two months. Meanwhile, we are arguably the most improved team in the nation.
OSU beat Wisky 59-0 in the B1G championship game. You guys beat Wisky 59-0, and we'll talk. Otherwise, UM is rightfully ahead of you.

... or just get rid of the playoffs, forget the BCS, play the bowl games as aligned, then pick up two teams from the bowl champions and let them play one final title game.
And how do you decide the last 2 teams to play one final title game? Rankings? Just more subjectivity.

And how do you decide the last 2 teams to play one final title game? Rankings? Just more subjectivity.

128 teams is way too many to compete at the same level. But, until those 128 teams are divided up into more competitive groups, a playoff system must be in place to give all 128 of those teams a chance at the national title.

Since the 10 FBS Conferences are not equal, it would be impractical to base the entire FBS playoff field solely on conference winners.

If two or three of the best teams in the country appear to be from the same conference or division, all of those great teams are more deserving of a playoff spot than many conference champions that are clearly not top 10 teams.

14-team conferences like the ACC & SEC only play 8-game conference slates, where some of their best teams don't always play each other. Occasionally, there are FBS independents that are great teams. Frequently, 14-team conferences like the ACC, B1G & SEC have two teams that are much better than any Group of 5 team or Big 12 team, where only 10 teams reside despite the name Big 12.

Let's get the best 8 teams in a playoff to decide the national champion on the field. Some years there are 4 great teams. Other years there are 5 great teams. Some years there are 6 great teams. And other years there are 7 great teams.

With an 8-team playoff system that gives teams extra credit for winning their conference beyond their record and overall Strength Of Schedule, a great team can earn a true national championship on the field by winning 3 playoff games. This would be much better than the 4-team playoff system that we have now.

I have always been in favor of an 8 team playoff. Much less likely to leave out a deserving team, plus it would give a non Power 5 team a chance. For example, if Houston had won all their AAC games, they would have gone undefeated and would have deserved a seat at the table based on their convincing wins vs Oklahoma and Louisville.

The real disconnect today with the conference playoffs vs. the Championship playoffs is that the conference championship qualifiers are based on very objective pre-established rules, while the committee picks the playoff teams based on subjective criteria that include things such as strength of schedule and OOC outcomes.

B1G Rule #1: Protect tOSU and Meechigan at all costs

BIG Rule #2: See Rule #1

Big Rule #3: Did we mention how awesome tOSU and Meechigan are?

Reactions: ruready07
Or just get rid of the final game, play 20 bowls, and that's it. The season is too long as it is. All of this is about cheap, live TV programming.

Again, I'll point to OSU in 2014. They got beat by a horrible VT team but one of the battle cries was how much they had improved since that game.

I'm fine if you don't want PSU in the playoff but I also remember exactly what happened in 2014 very well as I live here in OH.

Given what they did against Michigan and Wisconsin to end the year, and given what they did against Alabama and Oregon, it looks like the committee used the proper judgment putting who they thought was the best team in the playoff. Guess what? They were right.

People have selective memory when it comes to that playoff scenario. Ohio State probably wouldn't have been in simply beating Wisconsin in a squeaker. Yes, the committee cited the 13th data point, but they did so also adding that Ohio State looked impressive. A one-point win over Wisconsin? Baylor probably gets in. It wasn't just the conference championship. It was a combination of eye test, conference championship and lack of an impressive resume for Baylor/TCU to separate itself from that Ohio State team.

Honestly I feel like the 2014 example justifies why the committee should and would put this Ohio State team in. It's one of the four best teams, a fact no one disputes, and that's the purpose of the committee according to its own protocol. The conference title for Ohio State in 2014 was only one of several reasons they cited for them.

The problem with putting PSU in the playoff is who do you knock out? The current top 4 deserve it too and only 4 teams can make it.

Delaney is an idoit......Michigan is a 2-loss conference team! Did you forget that both teams that beat them were not division champions. Just because you blow out all the competition doesn't mean you are the best.
So we're not counting the Nits win over TOSU are we.

Guy is clueless. Could not even acknowledge the name of the team that won.
Open Mouth insert foot.

I heard that Delany was concerned that he would inadvertently say "Pedd State".

I always thought this was the way to go, but there's no turning back now.

Reactions: 17Q66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT