ADVERTISEMENT

Kaiwan Lewis Interview--Good Comment on His Transfer to RU

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://profootballspot.com/nfl-draf...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You said in previous interviews that you chose to finish your NCAA eligibility at Rutgers because of the strength of the schedule and the mix of on- and off-field opportunities available to you. What has been one of the most memorable off-field opportunities that the game of football has opened up for you?

"The networking aspect of football has allowed me to meet some of the top lawyers and different figures in the criminal justice field. That has really helped me prepare for life as a criminal defense attorney after football, which is hopefully after 10+ years playing in the NFL."

The second play I wanted to talk about was in the same game. Its 3rd & 4 for Indiana with the game tied 52-52 and 5:32 to go in the game. What is going on in that defensive huddle?

"For me I have to be that leader in the huddle. I have to try and keep everybody calm but at the same time keep them hungry and ready to go make that stop. Sometimes people get too nervous on 3rd down and try to do too much. I try to keep them focused and know their job so we can go out there and make that stop."

Knight, I seem to recall that many of the transfers have had wonderful things to say about RU after they transferred . R J Gill, Turzulli, I can't recall the name of the graduate db transfer a few years ago who got hurt, all were extremely happy about their decisions to transfer.

Knight, I seem to recall that many of the transfers have had wonderful things to say about RU after they transferred . R J Gill, Turzulli, I can't recall the name of the graduate db transfer a few years ago who got hurt, all were extremely happy about their decisions to transfer.
Toler?

Yeah, Turzilli gushed about how great it was at Rutgers. But it will quickly be pointed out that it was due to Fridge, not Flood.

Forgot about Lew Toler. While it is a NJ.com story, interesting take by him on the prospects of our secondary in 2015. How quickly things changed. Toler came from WMU to play at RU, and Ian Thomas left RU to play from WMU.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ure_at_rutgers_was_a_positive_experience.html

"Toler expects cornerbacks Nadir Barnwell and Anthony Cioffi, who combined to start nine games as freshmen last season, to make progress this spring. He also was impressed by the improvement made by rising senior Gareef Glashen at the end of last season.

"Those guys worked hard and they got through a lot of adversity and I feel like they've grown a little bit," Toler said. "I'm definitely looking forward to this year to watch those guys."

Toler also pointed to the return of Ian Thomas as a major boost to the secondary. Thomas started three games at cornerback last season before leaving the team in October. He changed his mind about transferring and was reinstated by Flood in January.

"I feel like it's big to get Ian back because I feel like he's a great player," Toler said. "But he has some work to do. I just hope those guys are able to just go in there and listen to (secondary coach Darrell) Wilson and be able to do what they have to do to succeed."

Toler expects Thomas to be welcomed back by his teammates
."

Well, none of his predictions turned out well.

Ian Thomas Stats.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/player/774/1049038/index.html

Reactions: redking
"The networking aspect of football has allowed me to meet some of the top lawyers and different figures in the criminal justice field. That has really helped me prepare for life as a criminal defense attorney after football, which is hopefully after 10+ years playing in the NFL."

Anybody else chuckle at this comment, given all the off the field problems our secondary had last summer?

Anybody else chuckle at this comment, given all the off the field problems our secondary had last summer?
I had not thought of it that way--but I have been preoccupied with a lot of family issues lately. Maybe Mr. Lewis has a budding career in subliminal messages or comedy.

Actually it sounds as if Lewis is a criminal justice major and intends to pursue a carreer as a defense attorney. He feels his experience at RU has been outstanding in meeting and achieving that goal. The fact that we had a bunch of &($:)@ (call them whatever you want) didn't impact his education at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT