ADVERTISEMENT

KnightFest @ the Barn Friday Night

rutgersfandan

Freshman
Mar 20, 2004
Hi all,

I don't post often nowadays, but I needed to check in about KnightFest this Friday (10/13) at the College Ave. Gym. Doors open at 5:30pm and the event will run from 6pm-9pm.

General admission is $30 with proceeds going toward NIL deals for Rutgers MBB players. Knights of The Raritan (I am on the board of KTR - https://knightsoftheraritan.com/) is the title sponsor of the event, which is operated by @Geo_Baker_1's Knight Society: https://knightsociety.io/knightfest-2023/.

Excited to see many folks in New Brunswick on Friday night, and then to head to the lots for Homecoming on Saturday morning in Piscataway.

Best,

Danny Breslauer

Last edited:
Hi all,

I don't post often nowadays, but I needed to check in about KnightFest this Friday (10/13) at the College Ave. Gym. Doors open at 5:30pm and the event will run from 6pm-9pm.

General admission is $30 with proceeds going toward NIL deals for Rutgers MBB players. Knights of The Raritan (I am on the board of KTR - https://knightsoftheraritan.com/) is the title sponsor of the event, which is operated by @Geo_Baker_1's Knight Society: https://knightsociety.io/knightfest-2023/.

Excited to see many folks in New Brunswick on Friday night, and then to head to the lots for Homecoming on Saturday morning in Piscataway.

Best,

Danny Breslauer
Duh never mind..I didn't realize the link to the event was there. Thanks.

Reactions: rutgersfandan
I'm bringing a friend Friday, I have two courtside tickets...really looking forward to this, too! However, I haven't tried to park anywhere near The Barn in QUITE a while. I can get around on memory. Is there still a lot right behind The Barn that will be open to the public on a Friday afternoon/evening? Any information would help me help the other driver not so familiar with the area. Thank you!! GO RU!

Hi all,

Best,

Danny Breslauer
Any particular reason this is being held at the Barn instead of the RAC? Doesn’t the Barn only hold about 2,500 for basketball? I guess overhead for the Barn is probably a lot less.

Reactions: Leonard23
Any particular reason this is being held at the Barn instead of the RAC? Doesn’t the Barn only hold about 2,500 for basketball? I guess overhead for the Barn is probably a lot less.
Better atmosphere for this first of its kind event. Plus, more people hang out on College Ave on Homecoming Friday, especially students (which this event caters to). I imagine it will be at the RAC in the future.

Hi all,

Best,

Danny Breslauer
You should come be a board regular poster!

Basically, we were ready to host a midnight madness style event. Compliance came and shut it down due to it falling under “pay for play” duke ran into a similar issue earlier this year. We thought we had a good enough work around but we didn’t.

What will happen now is the team will be extremely involved in the event with experiences and giveaways, and we have a good group of alumni and celebs coming to the event as well to participate with fans in some contests.

Prizes for winners of these contests will include jerseys, signed basketballs, tickets for future games, and more.

Overall, I’m excited with how interactive this is going to be especially given how fast we had to pivot

Basically, we were ready to host a midnight madness style event. Compliance came and shut it down due to it falling under “pay for play” duke ran into a similar issue earlier this year. We thought we had a good enough work around but we didn’t.

What will happen now is the team will be extremely involved in the event with experiences and giveaways, and we have a good group of alumni and celebs coming to the event as well to participate with fans in some contests.

Prizes for winners of these contests will include jerseys, signed basketballs, tickets for future games, and more.

Overall, I’m excited with how interactive this is going to be especially given how fast we had to pivot
That's assinine. I thought events like this were the entire spirit of NIL. Sounds like something still worth going to, to your credit.

So where does the money go now? To the giveaways etc?

That's assinine. I thought events like this were the entire spirit of NIL. Sounds like something still worth going to, to your credit.

So where does the money go now? To the giveaways etc?
Nope! So we pivoted so that the players can still be paid!! They just can’t do athletic activities on the court. Funds still are going to the players

I'm bringing a friend Friday, I have two courtside tickets...really looking forward to this, too! However, I haven't tried to park anywhere near The Barn in QUITE a while. I can get around on memory. Is there still a lot right behind The Barn that will be open to the public on a Friday afternoon/evening? Any information would help me help the other driver not so familiar with the area. Thank you!! GO RU!

You coming out of retirement for this one?

Geo what was the reason Pike held Corey out of the Midnight Madness activities in 2017? My kid was excited to see him in the dunk contest, but instead we got Matt Bullock who I believe was dunking for the first time in his life (barely).

Nope! So we pivoted so that the players can still be paid!! They just can’t do athletic activities on the court. Funds still are going to the players

This makes sense.
Players can use their NIL to be compensated for advertisements, social media marketing, endorsements and appearances.

The schools themselves still hold their NIL for athletic events - playing in games.
And schools can't schedule athletic events outside of the NCAA guidelines.

It'd be like Mag getting paid to play in a charity basketball game during the offseason.
He can attend and get paid but can't play.

I imagine it's similar for pros appearing in non-official team related games or events.
Doubt RHJ could get paid by Rutgers to appear in an alumni game. Or maybe he can.

Geo what was the reason Pike held Corey out of the Midnight Madness activities in 2017? My kid was excited to see him in the dunk contest, but instead we got Matt Bullock who I believe was dunking for the first time in his life (barely).
Corey told the team he was a shooter now and was doing the 3 point contest 🤣🤣🤣

See everyone tonight!

I just saw some videos and saw the small crowd. I feel bad I didn't go, I thought I was to late to get good seats because I thought it would be packed. Next year

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The crowd is not good.

The Elephant in the room is that it's unfortunately a much tougher sell if the players aren't allowed to play.
It’s certainly not the same if players aren’t playing (that would’ve been really cool
but obviously not allowed) but I think this was just rushed and poorly planned and executed.

There was two weeks notice. Anybody with a family has very little chance of making any event with 2 months notice let alone two weeks. And then the event gets changed in between that time for those that tried to attend.

The whole thing was a weird vibe.

Reactions: Geo_Baker_1
Great effort by all involved! All the players were super friendly and appear to be genuinely good kids. The attendance was poor but that’s a combination of NIL restrictions and a fan base that is simply not die hard. How do you miss an event like this on the night before homecoming?!! Should have been sold out. I commend Geo on his efforts. Go RU

I think most important thing was everyone who was there enjoyed and got something out of it. We know what to improve next year and now we can apply everything. Earlier announcements, free student tix, more alumni games.

It’s definitely not the same without the players playing but I do think people enjoyed hearing them talk and celebrating the start of their season with them. We’ll make sure this thing grows. Thanks to everyone who came/supported

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT