ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Monangai for the Heisman Trophy? Start the campaign, Rutgers

I cant wait until these cupcake weeks are over.

Derrick Henry's last season he had 2200 yds/28 TDs on a National Championship team.
Even if Mongo got the same stats (and he wont) RU isn't going to any title games (pretty much mandatory for Heisman). I want to see a competitive game before all the awards and records are targeted.

RU beat Howard and an Akron team with 7 wins in 5 years (1.4 wins per year). The encomiums being generated by a couple of cupcake games is amazing. Ray Rice had 280 yds and 5 TDs vs a winning Ball St in a bowl game (International) but listening to todays announcers it sounded like the record was teetering on the brink

Derrick Henry's last season he had 2200 yds/28 TDs on a National Championship team.
Even if Mongo got the same stats (and he wont) RU isn't going to any title games (pretty much mandatory for Heisman). I want to see a competitive game before all the awards and records are targeted.

RU beat Howard and an Akron team with 7 wins in 5 years (1.4 wins per year). The encomiums being generated by a couple of cupcake games is amazing. Ray Rice had 280 yds and 5 TDs vs a winning Ball St in a bowl game (International) but listening to todays announcers it sounded like the record was teetering on the brink
Schiano praises too. No upsets since returning and 3 conf wins max

Unfortunately, you have to be a blue blood to get any serious consideration. Our soft schedule will rear its ugly head to those who would rather eat dog sh*t than support a player from the lower deck.
But, we will not see another draft like we saw with our last star running back going in the 7th round.

Schiano praises too. No upsets since returning and 3 conf wins max

Why are you guys even here ?!

encomiums? really?

Last year he was the ONLY Big Ten RB to go over 1000 and he went over 1200 and was only 2nd team All Big Ten.

It is not about just these past 2 games.. obviously.

Let’s play real competition before we start a heisman campaign,

Not saying it’s impossible but the article is silly lol
this is just a stupid take

RU should be culling the media for this and marketing alone is great for the school. Greg, the school and NJ media should have been screaming at the BIG for him not being 1st team last year.

some of you simply do not get the world and how it works

The color commentator on the broadcast today, at one point said something like, “Kyle Monangai might be the best running back in the country.”

Reactions: shields and Kbee3
encomiums? really?

Last year he was the ONLY Big Ten RB to go over 1000 and he went over 1200 and was only 2nd team All Big Ten.

It is not about just these past 2 games.. obviously.

Yes - and he only had 7 TDs (like most good RU RBs post Rice).
He's a good RB with OL playing like a symphony.
Pacheco would be flying downfield.
Mongo's strength is running through the laundry.
He slows down quite a bit after 40 yds
Like Rice he gets "chuggy" when running long.
He's fun to watch but the Heisman thing is unicorns and fairies

Last edited:
Rutgers’ running back development is so good one of our castaways is now the starting running back at Michigan State (Kay’Ron Adams).

And when the 2020 #5 RB HS recruit in the country from the 2020 class wanted to transfer back home to NJ to play for RU, they told him they’d only take him as a safety (Jalen Berger). So he went to UCLA instead.

It’s hard to beat out other programs when the transfer momentum is going the other direction, so this is great to see at a critical position group for us.

I know it’s only Howard and Akron, but Monangai is a legit star.

And his backups Raymond and Brown are both 4-stars in their own right and look sharp.

Competition makes everyone better and I’m so glad we have Kyle leading the way. He’s a winner.

Rutgers’ running back development is so good one of our castaways is now the starting running back at Michigan State (Kay’Ron Adams).

And when the 2020 #5 RB HS recruit in the country from the 2020 class wanted to transfer back home to NJ to play for RU, they told him they’d only take him as a safety (Jalen Berger). So he went to UCLA instead.

It’s hard to beat out other programs when the transfer momentum is going the other direction, so this is great to see at a critical position group for us.

And his backups Raymond and Brown are both 4-stars in their own right and look sharp.

Competition makes everyone better and I’m so glad we have Kyle leading the way. He’s a winner.

But I thought RU was “tight end U”?

Yes he's a stud.
However when it comes to Heisman there's no path.
Last year Blake Corum (Michigan) had 1250 yds and 27 TDs (20 more than Mongo).
The Heisman is for QBs mostly these days.
1700 yds and 15 TDs for a RB wont even get a vote probably

Reactions: newell138
I agree we don't know much about how this year will play out based on Howard and Akron.

But let's not make it like KM hasn't had big performances already against big name opponents.

24 for 159 versus OSU.
25 for 163 versus Miami.

There is no reason not to promote Kyle for the Heisman right now, no matter how unlikely. The press is good for the program and I would expect some of BTN commentators will happily jump on board to say good things, and probably even some of the national guys. VT does not look good against the run, so KM has a good chance for another big game in two weeks. Until he has one or two less productive games and one or more of the QBs start to separate themselves, we should be hyping him up.

I agree we don't know much about how this year will play out based on Howard and Akron.

But let's not make it like KM hasn't had big performances already against big name opponents.

24 for 159 versus OSU.
25 for 163 versus Miami.

That's true - but I think the OL coach gets left out.

Guy has two Super Bowl rings and decades of experience (but makes like 350k while Kirk makes more than RU president). Kyle is a master at running through the piles but I think Pacheco could have done great with this OL too.

With the 4.37 he also benched 225lbs 27 times which is lineman territory. Pound for pound that kind of speed and power in one player is hard to find. I think he would be a monster behind RU's current OL

UQtv57o.jpeg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
this is just a stupid take

RU should be culling the media for this and marketing alone is great for the school. Greg, the school and NJ media should have been screaming at the BIG for him not being 1st team last year.

some of you simply do not get the world and how it works

He’s not a heisman guy yet; fine, ru should market him, not saying they shouldn’t. But it’s ridiculous to use him and heisman in same sentence right now

Something needs to be done to eliminate these cupcake games. Teams are winning by 50 points that’s not entertaining or real competition.

Reactions: ashokan
Some folks always want to find the dark clouds on a sunny day. Kind of an epidemic these days. Monangai is an exceptional RB, the best RU has had since Rice and he deserves national attention. His vision, balance and patience as a runner are elite. He is not a burner, but has burst and is the toughest dude on the field. If RU can establish a consistent passing game and KM stays healthy, the team will be a tough out for everybody with a few exceptions.

He didn’t have a lot of TDs last year because they always called the tush/push for Wimmsat at the goal line.
Well Wimsatt got the tush push out of Rutgers all the way to Kentucky thankfully.

He didn’t have a lot of TDs last year because they always called the tush/push for Wimmsat at the goal line.

Ashokan would tell you we needed Wimsatt to be the one to push those through in place of a RB.

Something needs to be done to eliminate these cupcake games. Teams are winning by 50 points that’s not entertaining or real competition.

I liked the way 06 started out vs UNC.
RU beat Tarheels and went home chuffed - the fuse was lit.

RU backs never scored running TD in double digits after Rice.
The most Pacheco ever had was 7 in 2019
Paul James had 9 in 2013
Jamison had 9 in 2011
It was the kicker who lost points to the TuPu because RU offense struggled to score in RZ
RU was actually pretty good at the Rugby mauls/scrums

Paul James had 9 in 2013
Jamison had 9 in 2011
It was the kicker who lost points to the TuPu because RU offense struggled to score in RZ

9 before he suffered his annual season ending injury should be considered double digits for James.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Paul James had 9 in 2013
Jamison had 9 in 2011

What does this even mean? His point was simply that if Kyle was given the hand off on the 6 carries from the 1 yard line that Gavin punched through for TDs, he would’ve had more TDs. That is a near certainty.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
9 before he suffered his annual season ending injury should be considered double digits for James.

James was really good - a better pure runner than anyone since Rice.
Kid could have been a legend is not for the glass legs

Reactions: MikeRU09
What does this even mean? His point was simply that if Kyle was given the hand off on the 6 carries from the 1 yard line that Gavin punched through for TDs, he would’ve had more TDs. That is a near certainty.
Kyle was actually tried before some of those.
RZ goal was never a lock for KM

Yes - and he only had 7 TDs (like most good RU RBs post Rice).
He's a good RB with OL playing like a symphony.
Pacheco would be flying downfield.
Mongo's strength is running through the laundry.
He slows down quite a bit after 40 yds
Like Rice he gets "chuggy" when running long.
He's fun to watch but the Heisman thing is unicorns and fairies
It doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about. Plenty of players never should have won the Heisman and plenty should have. It doesn't matter if it is a realistic possibility.. IT SHOULD BE A REALISTIC POSSIBILITY.. and if we don't treat it as such why would anyone else ever?

Last edited:
It doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about. Plenty of players never should have won the Heisman and plenty should have. It doesn't matter if it is a realistic possibility.. IT SHOULD BE A REALISTIC POSSIBILITY.. and if we don't treat it as such why would anyone else ever?

I don't have strong feelings about anything because I've never cared about the Heisman.
If KM is hyped as a Heisman guy defenses will come for him hard - he'll be a marked man .
Football can turn tribal over stuff like that.
If he had a chance "ok" but getting all wound up for extra pounding for nothing has no appeal.

RU's offense just isn't geared for winning anyone a Heisman
Ray Rice was hyped for Heisman and had his image up in Times Square.
He still got under-drafted with guys like Mendenhall taken before him.

There's a lot of hype in football and people ignore it.
Every year players are appointed to "watch lists" and when you read it there's 40 guys on it.
Blake Corum was nominated for Heisman with 27 TDs and he didn't win and was still drafted in 3rd round (hasn't even played yet this year)

Last edited:
Kyle was actually tried before some of those.
RZ goal was never a lock for KM

Dude - just stop. Gavin punched 6 one yard TDs into the end zone - not all of them on his first try - but who cares? He got the job done. Fantastic.

In the past 2 games, Kyle punched in one from the 3, one from the 2, and 2 from from 1. He’s 4 for 4. Raymond also punched one in Saturday from the one. So our current group of RBs are 5 for 5 on those. For now, the argument that we needed to use Gavin instead of our RBs to collect those TDs looks ridiculous.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Dude - just stop. Gavin punched 6 one yard TDs into the end zone - not all of them on his first try - but who cares? He got the job done. Fantastic.

In the past 2 games, Kyle punched in one from the 3, one from the 2, and 2 from from 1. He’s 4 for 4. Raymond also punched one in Saturday from the one. So our current group of RBs are 5 for 5 on those. For now, the argument that we needed to use Gavin instead of our RBs to collect those TDs looks ridiculous.

No RU RB has had double digit rushing TDs since Rice.
RU just doesn't dominate much in RZ
KM is a good blocker so having him do that while GW could run just maximized assets. It also avoided hand-offs on goal where a fumble is almost always recovered by defense.
I know a lot of people hate GW but blaming him for KM's small TD count is a reach because no RU RB has been a double digit TD maker post Rice - Jamison, Pacheco, James, Sanu (9 rushing TDs for career) included.

To gain national notice, I think it would require RU to make it to the Big ten title game and have a great game there

There could be a buzz leading up to that, but it still would not be the most serious consideration

I don't have strong feelings about anything because I've never cared about the Heisman.
If KM is hyped as a Heisman guy defenses will come for him hard - he'll be a marked man .
Football can turn tribal over stuff like that.
If he had a chance "ok" but getting all wound up for extra pounding for nothing has no appeal.

RU's offense just isn't geared for winning anyone a Heisman
Ray Rice was hyped for Heisman and had his image up in Times Square.
He still got under-drafted with guys like Mendenhall taken before him.

There's a lot of hype in football and people ignore it.
Every year players are appointed to "watch lists" and when you read it there's 40 guys on it.
Blake Corum was nominated for Heisman with 27 TDs and he didn't win and was still drafted in 3rd round (hasn't even played yet this year)
A marked man because he is a Heisman candidate??? You say a lot of stupid, anti Rutgers things on here but that's the dumbest statement ever. If he was a marked man it would be he is an excellent running back!

To gain national notice, I think it would require RU to make it to the Big ten title game and have a great game there

There could be a buzz leading up to that, but it still would not be the most serious consideration

We just need to have a big win on a national stage. Whether that is Friday night on FOX vs Washington or if we’re on another national broadcast network for another game:..and we win. That’s when he’ll get consideration

A marked man because he is a Heisman candidate??? You say a lot of stupid, anti Rutgers things on here but that's the dumbest statement ever. If he was a marked man it would be he is an excellent running back!

He's already an excellent back
Defenses are akin to gangs and take pride in stuffing offensive celebs.
Ask Travis Hunter and his busted spleen
You don't know much about football but that's a big room around here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT