ADVERTISEMENT

LA Times - Significant Rutgers Mentions

slyker

Senior
Feb 2, 2002
Back in 2012 when the Big Ten was just something exciting to look forward to.... the attached article is the type of exposure I was hoping one day we would get. It took a good amount of years where media seemed to focus on if we even belonged, or just treated RU as an afterthought to the big boys of the conference. Two LA Times articles back to back in the below link with almost as much attention given to Rutgers as Ohio State / Michigan... and many other BIG schools not mentioned at all. Was a vision in 2012 and only a distant dream when I began my RU fandom in the early 1970's. Great exposure:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-07-04/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-new-big-ten

Back in 2012 when the Big Ten was just something exciting to look forward to.... the attached article is the type of exposure I was hoping one day we would get. It took a good amount of years where media seemed to focus on if we even belonged, or just treated RU as an afterthought to the big boys of the conference. Two LA Times articles back to back in the below link with almost as much attention given to Rutgers as Ohio State / Michigan... and many other BIG schools not mentioned at all. Was a vision in 2012 and only a distant dream when I began my RU fandom in the early 1970's. Great exposure:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-07-04/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-new-big-ten
The press on the other side of the country views Rutgers more favorably than the NJ press.

From the article:
"Maybe UCLA-Rutgers will become the Battle of the Coasts, with a bronzed tidal wave going to the winner."

Anyone got a link that's not behind a paywall?

The RU Maryland add was a brilliant move by Delaney that expanded the markets for eyeballs and recruits. It also makes the USC UCLA add more impactful.

SEC is making a huge mistake by not raiding Clemson, OSU, Oregon and Notre Dame. This would make them the P1 football conference.
By playing it safe, Big Ten will have more money and will eventually raid Florida and Texas. SEC will have no answer for that.
I think what Big Ten wants is Florida, Texas, Notre Dame and Oregon. That would cover it all.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Not hard. The press in NJ hates Rutgers athletics.
have said for many years..going on decades now...
that's the diff.... So Cal papers run simple, insightful, entertaining articles - which simply contain a story about the areas sports teams... there isn't the constant "undertone" of sarcasm or negativity... or "two good stories and a crap story".... barrining actual real crisis...they just report the local teams as sports and entertainment...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT