ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Athan from a Minnesota Podcaster...

IL Lusciato

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Newark, NJ
Got the chance to talk to a MN personality tonight about Athan.

He said reuniting with Kirk is the best thing that can happen to him, and he's had some really good moments for them, although last year was a bit more shake and he's curious if it was Athan hitting a ceiling or the staff/coaching.

To hear the whole thing, go to the 47 minute mark. Some nice Big Ten content and RU talk as well.

I’ve just started listening to this “The Big Ten Huddle” podcast that gets posted under the “The College Huddle” podcast, as it is relatively new format. Really good stuff…

I actually found out about it through another podcast that I listed to all year @BigTenFootballTalk that Zack Gugenheim puts together. That show gives a solid and fair perspective on the whole conference with weekly matchups, breakdowns, predictions on top of some good publicity for Rutgers and the work Greg has put in. It looks like some of Zack’s content will be posted there too.

Definitely check it out!!

Also good to see Larry K. “In the mix”, as GS would say…

Last edited:
Got the chance to talk to a MN personality tonight about Athan.

He said reuniting with Kirk is the best thing that can happen to him, and he's had some really good moments for them, although last year was a bit more shake and he's curious if it was Athan hitting a ceiling or the staff/coaching.

To hear the whole thing, go to the 47 minute mark. Some nice Big Ten content and RU talk as well.

The Minnesota guy on Athan: "inconsistent" and "missed some layups" (easy throws). Sounds familiar.

The Minnesota guy on Athan: "inconsistent" and "missed some layups" (easy throws). Sounds familiar.
They were pretty high on Ajani and considered him a hidden gem sort of player.
He played for a local HS team so I'm always partial to those guys even though I like GW more than most

Reactions: Knight Shift
Don't most people on the board have Minny as an automatic W? They should be an afterthought if we are indeed going to be playing for a national championship as I have seen at least one thread on this board started by a seasoned and revered poster indicate that it is a real possibility this year.

They were pretty high on Ajani and considered him a hidden gem sort of player.
He played for a local HS team so I'm always partial to those guys even though I like GW more than most
The Rutgers guy was high on Ajani, as were a lot of people on the board here, me being one of them. But remember other QBs the fans were high on in Spring games: (1) Cole Snyder (maybe just me 🤣); (2) Tom Flacco; (3) Hayden Rettig (the guy with the higher ceiling--hate that phrase).

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I think #9 is a pretty fair assessment…. I know it’s splitting hairs, but frankly I would flip Nebraska with us as they really didn’t do anything last year that would put them squarely ahead of us. The issue is not knowing what they did in the portal and until we beat them on the field, they will get the benefit of the doubt in these rankings.

Washington seems a little high with all the turnover they have had and UCLA should be dead last IMO with all the BS they are dealing with too. I think Purdue is a little too low and Northwestern too high. Not sure what to think about Maryland but definitely think they should be ranked above Michigan State.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think #9 is a pretty fair assessment…. I know it’s splitting hairs, but frankly I would flip Nebraska with us as they really didn’t do anything last year that would put them squarely ahead of us. The issue is not knowing what they did in the portal and until we beat them on the field, they will get the benefit of the doubt in these rankings.

Washington seems a high with all the turnover they have, UCLA should be dead last IMO with all the BS they are dealing with too. I think Purdue is a little too low and Northwestern too high.
FWIW, Interesting only 3 teams above Rutgers in power rankings- USC, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Reactions: William J. Leggett
Interesting only 3 teams above them in power rankings- USC, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
I really think we will suprise some folks against USC… I know it’s a long flight out there, but I think our style of play (physicality on D) and ourOL/DL will give them fits. Utah is a great example that I THINK we can emulate…

I liked those video.... Seems like a good group of guys.

They had Nebraska and Wisconsin 7 and 8. Only 1 team in top 5. If our ranking is correct, we should be 6-3 in conference.

Howard
Akron
BYE
@Vtech
Wash Rank 10
@Nebras Rank 8
Wisc Rank 7
UCLA Rank 15
@USC Rank 5
BYE
Minnesota Rank 14
@Maryland Rank 12
Illinois Rank 16
@MichSt Rank 11

I think the BYES come at crucial times. 8-4 i believe is what is expected. I am hoping for 9-3! 7-5 would suck and only made up by a bowl win against a perceived good team (just like Miami).

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I really think we will suprise some folks against USC… I know it’s a long flight out there, but I think our style of play (physicality on D) and ourOL/DL will give them fits. Utah is a great example that I THINK we can emulate…

We have a legit chance in almost every game this season. Its a big year and chance for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT