ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse facilities question?

AngryOtter42

Redshirt
Dec 29, 2003
Hey Guy's, I come here in peace and had a question for you? Ken Panzer (PSU Lacrosse alum) made a significant contribution a year or two ago to upgrade the PSU lacrosse facilities. Does RU have a plan w/ B1G or donor money down the road to build a lacrosse facility? I have enjoyed watching your team but like UMd, it's hard to get excited watching lax in large, cavernous football stadiums. With UM's awesome new facility, it just got me thinking if RU might have discussed a lacrosse facility.

Rutgers Lacrosse used to play at Yurcak Stadium, but since their entrance into the Big 10 they've played in the football stadium. I'm not sure why, could be because they need to have the facilities to televise games?

Opening in the winter of 2020 will be an Academic Center that will house all brand. Ew Lacrosse facilities. However, games will still be played in the stadium. There is not a currently a plan for a lacrosse game day facility. Good luck in the Final Four.

Rutgers Lacrosse used to play at Yurcak Stadium, but since their entrance into the Big 10 they've played in the football stadium. I'm not sure why, could be because they need to have the facilities to televise games?
Yurcak now has state of the art soccer grass that would get ripped up by lacrosse in the snow and rain of February and March. Soccer won the battle and lacrosse was pushed into the stadium.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Well, RU's stadium has about half the seating of Penn State's (and Ohio State's for that matter) so it's not that cavernous. I've attended a game at High Point and the sight lines from the lower level aren't bad at all.

Yurcak now has state of the art soccer grass that would get ripped up by lacrosse in the snow and rain of February and March. Soccer won the battle and lacrosse was pushed into the stadium.

Is pushed the right word? I think it's been said that Brecht and the players like being in the stadium. It makes for a better TV broadcast too, with more angles and camera positions available.

Reactions: Caliknight
I believed that changed this year.

It changed last year. Michigan, as currently constituted, has the best facilities in the country.

Panzer is nice, and though fans might love the smaller environments, our team loves playing in HPSS. Ground has broken on our new facility, which I am told when completed, will be one if not the best in the country. Until someone else comes and builds another.

Ronald Yurcak was a lacrosse player, fyi. His family is still involved with the program, but they aren't too excited that soccer has taken over that facility.

Good luck in the final four, Otter. PSU is a rival in lacrosse, though we are handily ahead in the series. Even so, I am rooting for PSU to win it. Your team is very fun to watch. Exciting times for you guys. Outside of a couple of stud middies and your best defenseman, you return everyone. That offense is something else.

Reactions: AngryOtter42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT