ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse Stadium

The stadium I’d try to model after is Stony Brook’s LaValle Stadium. That is one of the nicest small stadiums I’ve visited. It feels like a much bigger stadium but only seats a little over 10k. It has an upper deck on one sideline and one end zone so if you remove those I’d guess you would bring capacity down to around 6k, which would be perfect. What I like about it is it is close to field level and the seating wraps all the way around the field rather than just being bleachers / grandstands.

Gotta say the set up at Shuart doesn’t look too bad:

wordpress_stadium.jpg

Fan_Map_Quarterfinals_Shuart_Stadium.jpg

Been there for Lizards games. I liked the pavilion they have in the lower left for concessions and to stretch your legs at halftime.

Maybe the PLL could bring back the NJ Pride and let them play here again…

june-8-2007-new-jersey-prides-kyle-harrison-18-in-action-against-the-DKE717.jpg

I think they would have if that building wasn’t there already.

And since both LaValle (still is) and Shuart were built originally with football in mind I wonder if ours could have the stands a little closer to the field?

Not sure how big of a buffer is required for lacrosse vs. football.

It’s seems like we are much closer to the field at Yurcak.
Dorrance @ UNC is a horseshoe like Hofstra, which was built for football, as you mentioned.

Fetzer_Men_s_Lacrosse.jpg

the OSU stadium is too small.. and costs $21.5M but has some nice amenities.. Buidling a 5K capacity stadium (4000 seats/benches and 1K grass seating would cost $30M in NJ...

...osu stadium....It will have a capacity of 2,000 and include a heated and lighted field, press box with broadcast facilities, and an indoor shooting room.

the OSU stadium is too small.. and costs $21.5M but has some nice amenities.. Buidling a 5K capacity stadium (4000 seats/benches and 1K grass seating would cost $30M in NJ...

...osu stadium....It will have a capacity of 2,000 and include a heated and lighted field, press box with broadcast facilities, and an indoor shooting room.
No one said to go with 2k seats. tOSU design is nice but needs seats all around and we're getting at least 5k seats.

Reactions: Caliknight
No one said to go with 2k seats. tOSU design is nice but needs seats all around and we're getting at least 5k seats.
obviously the fields RU used to play next to football practice facilities were 1000 seating..... just noting that TOSU design is not practical for RU... a new lax /soccer facility would not have more than 10 rows of seating behind the goal line extended unless it's above a general purpose building or locker rooms.. nobody seats in those locations ...most cost effective would be back to back bleachers facing separate fields with common amenities/broadcasting in that shared building ... and then the lax field having a second set of bleachers on the opposite sideline of 20 rows for another 2,000 seats.... both sports would have over 5K in seating with open areas/ standing area....

Reactions: SF88
obviously the fields RU used to play next to football practice facilities were 1000 seating..... just noting that TOSU design is not practical for RU... a new lax /soccer facility would not have more than 10 rows of seating behind the goal line extended unless it's above a general purpose building or locker rooms.. nobody seats in those locations ...most cost effective would be back to back bleachers facing separate fields with common amenities/broadcasting in that shared building ... and then the lax field having a second set of bleachers on the opposite sideline of 20 rows for another 2,000 seats.... both sports would have over 5K in seating with open areas/ standing area....
Huh? tOSU design is fine but just increase the seats on 1 side and add seats to the other or create a horseshoe or bowl. It's not that hard.

.no its not hard.... but cost prohibitive and a horsehoe or bowl cost more.... a build to suit lax or soccer do not have any seats behind goals. unless they are part of another building (look at Yale and UNC) ..

.not many schools have separate facilities because of the cost and also both teams play on turf or grass depending on location (grass in south, turf in north) Obviously, RU is exception with grass soccer field and you aren't playing lax on grass in feb/march/april
..I doubt RU is going to build a stand alone turf field for lax even if fully donated..$25M+ and if they do where is it going? best scenario is a side by side lax and soccer facility in the existing Yurchak location with bleachers facing each field (with shared amenities) put full bleachers in Yurcak on the grass mound that faces existing Yurcak and build lax field beyond those bleachers in the parking lot with the separate bleachers facing the lax field on the backside of the bleachers that are facing Yurchak,,..(back to back bleachers facing each field with common amenities) you would save the cost of duplicating ancillary items like locker rooms/bathrooms/concessions than building a stand alone lax field and also renovating Yurcak... if the area is tight, you could move the existing Yurchak pitch to where the exiting bleachers are...

But if Rutgers can get the Final 4 again it's 25-30,000 in that stadium. Possibly more these days. So not ONLY.
I know weather was iffy but I was shocked how small the attendance was at Hartford today. Hofstra seemed better when I was there.

.no its not hard.... but cost prohibitive and a horsehoe or bowl cost more.... a build to suit lax or soccer do not have any seats behind goals. unless they are part of another building (look at Yale and UNC) ..

.not many schools have separate facilities because of the cost and also both teams play on turf or grass depending on location (grass in south, turf in north) Obviously, RU is exception with grass soccer field and you aren't playing lax on grass in feb/march/april
..I doubt RU is going to build a stand alone turf field for lax even if fully donated..$25M+ and if they do where is it going? best scenario is a side by side lax and soccer facility in the existing Yurchak location with bleachers facing each field (with shared amenities) put full bleachers in Yurcak on the grass mound that faces existing Yurcak and build lax field beyond those bleachers in the parking lot with the separate bleachers facing the lax field on the backside of the bleachers that are facing Yurchak,,..(back to back bleachers facing each field with common amenities) you would save the cost of duplicating ancillary items like locker rooms/bathrooms/concessions than building a stand alone lax field and also renovating Yurcak... if the area is tight, you could move the existing Yurchak pitch to where the exiting bleachers are...
I think I agree with this thought. Think Contemporary hotel in Disney. 5000 on one side with grass for soccer. 5000 on the other with turf for lax. Underneath you can have climate control concessions/bathroom/hall of fame etc. giant video boards etc. show off the Carli Lloyds-Alexi Lallas-TT Naz-2022 FF lax team. The public doesn’t get to see the Hale Center or Rodkin or APC. This could be a super cool space to “show off” your lax/soccer programs.

the center TV/Light poles/terrace areas all shared up top. Some blue lot has to get used. That’s not what’s currently planned

We most certainly are going to. Bye blue lot.

Reactions: Leonard23
New tOSU LAX stadium:

Smart that they added a large shooting and wall ball area in the stadium between the locker rooms (we should too).

@Caliknight any updates on progress? Thanks

New tOSU LAX stadium:

Smart that they added a large shooting and wall ball area in the stadium between the locker rooms (we should too).

I definitely would emulate OSU with the wall ball/shooting area. That's a fantastic idea.

The reality is that Yurchak was supposed to be a soccer and Lacrosse stadium but soccer does not want turf on the field and they are winning the argument they (The facilities people) will not let lacrosse play on the field before April 1st. They will actually need a field for Lacrosse to play on as some people do not like them playing in the stadium and will not let them practice in the stadium so a dedicated practice facility/ stadium is needed.

I do feel like having the field adjacent to The soccer stadium where to build stands on the far side for both fields with maybe game day lockers underneath

New tOSU LAX stadium:

Love the shooting and wall ball concept. However, it looks to me like the stands do not have sufficient capacity to handle a crowd like last year's 1st round tournament game vs. Harvard.

The reality is that Yurchak was supposed to be a soccer and Lacrosse stadium but soccer does not want turf on the field and they are winning the argument they (The facilities people) will not let lacrosse play on the field before April 1st. They will actually need a field for Lacrosse to play on as some people do not like them playing in the stadium and will not let them practice in the stadium so a dedicated practice facility/ stadium is needed.

I do feel like having the field adjacent to The soccer stadium where to build stands on the far side for both fields with maybe game day lockers underneath
I'd guess we're well past Yurcak ever being a LAX stadium, so the solution is to build a new LAX stadium adjacent to it in the blue lot. That stadium should be like the tOSU, UM, and UNC stadiums.
I haven’t heard any updates but I haven’t asked either.
Well, what are you waiting for 😀
Love the shooting and wall ball concept. However, it looks to me like the stands do not have sufficient capacity to handle a crowd like last year's 1st round tournament game vs. Harvard.
Oh, we should absolutely have larger stands with a capacity of 4K-5K.

@Leonard23 is right…a mini Shaurt or something like what UNC has would be great. Would be for NJ HS lacrosse too.

It would be nice if the PLL ever decides to do the old MLL model of location based teams and partner with them. That’s how State Penn helped themselves get their really good Baseball facilities: private, Pennsylvania and minor league baseball (with a MLB parent club) funding.

Bring back the NJ Pride who had the best (IMO) unis in Lacrosse. 👍

Cali will we ever host another final four?

'23 and '24 already slated for Lincoln Financial in Philly and '25 and '26 for Gillette in Foxboro so they seem to be headed back to pro stadiums. A shame because RU was a great site in the past. The regionals are also scheduled.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT