ADVERTISEMENT

Last 5 minutes

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
In the last 5 minutes, Bryant outscored RU 20-10.

This was surprising for a number of reasons:

1. While not shooting very well, we managed to mostly outplay them for the first 35 minutes and held a 12-point lead with 5 minutes left.

2. We have more depth and should have had more fuel in the tank down the stretch, but we looked tired on D and missed shots while the Bryant guys had their legs under them enough to knock down some big treys on us.

3. Scoring 20 points in 5 minutes is hard to do (like scoring 160 in 40 minutes) especially on the road and at the end of a game.

4. We were the home team, and if anything we should have finished with a flurry and won by 20.

What this tells me is that Bryant players were in better shape, and that their (three) best shooters, at least for one night, were better than our best shooters.

One more thing I noticed. Bryant’s three shooters shot the ball with no hesitation whatsoever, while our guys seemed tentative from deep all night long.

Last edited:
Pretty much all true but hoisting up 3’s when losing to a better team on the road takes the pressure off. Also they went small and we failed to score inside as we have discussed in other threads.

In the last 5 minutes, Bryant outscored RU 20-10.

This was surprising for a number of reasons:

1. While not shooting very well, we managed to mostly outplay them for the first 15 minutes and held a 12-point lead with 5 minutes left.

2. We have more depth and should have had more fuel in the tank down the stretch, but we looked tired on D and missed shots while the Bryant guys had their legs under them enough to knock down some big treys on us.

3. Scoring 20 points in 5 minutes is hard to do (like scoring 160 in 40 minutes) especially on the road and at the end of a game.

4. We were the home team, and if anything we should have finished with a flurry and won by 20.

What this tells me is that Bryant players were in better shape, and that their (three) best shooters, at least for one night, were better than our best shooters.

One more thing I noticed. Bryant’s three shooters shot the ball with no hesitation whatsoever, while our guys seemed tentative from deep all night long.
I agree with the conditioning. Bryant appeared to be in much better shape. We looked winded

Reactions: BillyC80
This was the primary reason for my post in the gameday thread, “who’s our S&C coach, Ash?” ... definitely looked like they just played 3 games in 7 days, not their first of the year. Idk

Reactions: BillyC80
I agree with the conditioning. Bryant appeared to be in much better shape. We looked winded

First game of the year against a poor quality opponent..there is no excuse to be winded but we were

I think the lack of leadership was telling the last 5 minutes

Sorry but I don't agree with you guys. I did not see conditioning as an issue in the last 5 minutes. Especially given the rotations that were in place. Nobody was playing extended minutes so nobody was really gassed.

I thought we took several ill-advised shots.

We were just off. It happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT