ADVERTISEMENT

Lathan Sommerville

This kid is built like a man at 240 lbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most other RU recruiting classes, he'd be the crown jewel.
Yup in any other recruiting class he’d be fawned over. However, with the big 2 he’s become the forgotten man.

Reactions: biazza38
I think he starts from day one next season.
He’s good. But I don’t know if I love three freshmen starting next year, even if they are all 4-5 star recruits. My lineup next year is:

G - Harper
G - JWill
W - Gavin
F - Ace
F - Mag

Key rotation reserves:
G - JMike
G - Simpson
C/F - Woolf
C - Ogbole or Sommerville

Reserves:
W - Grant
F - Dortch

He’s good. But I don’t know if I love three freshmen starting next year, even if they are all 4-5 star recruits. My lineup next year is:

G - Harper
G - JWill
W - Gavin
F - Ace
F - Mag

Key rotation reserves:
G - JMike
G - Simpson
C/F - Woolf

Reserves:
W - Grant
F - Dortch
I would guess at least 2 of those players won't be on the roster next year.
And the only reason you don't like stsrti g 3 freshmen is because it hasn't happened at RU. Freshmen start at top schools. That said, I think Pike agrees with you. They may start by the end of the year, but all 3 probably won't start game 1.

Last edited:

G - Harper
G - JWill
W - Gavin
F - Ace
F - Mag

Key rotation reserves:
G - JMike
G - Simpson
C/F - Woolf

Reserves:
W - Grant
F - Dortch
Not winning that many games with Mag as our starting big man.

Seems to be able to hit the three as his basketball skillset is fairly complete for a young guy. He lacks elite athleticism but then again so did Kevin McHale.

So in 2024 we will start 3 frosh , 2 sophs… then have a bench made up of sophs , juniors and a couple of seniors? Interesting

I would guess at least 2 of those players won't be on the roster next year.
And the only reason you don't like stsrti g 3 freshmen is because it hasn't happened at RU. Freshmen start at top schools. That said, I think Pike agrees with you. They may start by the end of the year, but all 3 probably won't start game 1.
These two top frosh are more soph/junior… even Somerville is not a typical frosh recruit at least on film but I also like J Williams , Gavin Griffiths and JMike with Harper and Ace.

Way too early to say, but if Lathan is starting at the 5, I can see Mag at the 3 with Ace at the 4. Mag is our best defender and has a growing offensive game, too. Add in veteran leadership status.

Great game by the big guy in the OP's tweet!

Reactions: Scangg

G - Harper
G - JWill
W - Gavin
F - Ace
F - Mag

Key rotation reserves:
G - JMike
G - Simpson
C/F - Woolf

Reserves:
W - Grant
F - Dortch
I think Grant will be next year's surprise like JD was this year.

Reactions: BillyC80
Holee Molee! Rutgers is going to be STACKED next year! If by some chance Cliff comes back (which is remote to no chance) it would be hard to bet against this team!

Sommerville is already a beast!

I actually believe if Cliff does not return which I doubt he will I think Lathan will be starting after a few games and maybe even in the first game. He will be a big surprise. I also think Grant and Dortch will get some minutes. All five freshmen have talent. Jeremiah Williams will also be a big plus. We should have a really deep bench. Ogbole could get some minutes as well. He is a big man and looks good in practice in the time he participates.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He's got a feathery shot and is a crafty scorer. My guess is he'll get as many minutes as it takes him to foul out.

Last edited:
Lathan is a big body with a soft touch. Definitely not athletic, but I think Ace and Mag can protect that lack of athleticism.

Reactions: Scangg
Lloyd Moore. Who was very talented but did not keep his weight down.
Remember him well since I was in school at RU while he was there. Very talented with a soft touch but seemed to get bigger with each game.

Lloyd Moore was a huge disappointment. Limited mobility due to his weight issues. Bad period for RU hoops.

Reactions: wheezer
Full game video of Lathan Sommerville's Richwoods HS vs Manual HS from Dec 5th in case anyone wants to also check out an entire recent game in addition to the various highlights that have been posted.

Reactions: fatsam98
Lloyd Moore was a huge disappointment. Limited mobility due to his weight issues. Bad period for RU hoops.
Sure was. Great hands and short jumper. Littlepage may have kept his job longer if Moore had lived up to his potential.

Reactions: patk89
Really excited for this kid. Feel like he’s going to fight hard for rebounds. That soft touch. Feed him inside for some buckets.

These two top frosh are more soph/junior… even Somerville is not a typical frosh recruit at least on film but I also like J Williams , Gavin Griffiths and JMike with Harper and Ace.
Unless you are sure a frosh is your best at a position from day one he shouldn't start. I know there's an ego thing involved.. and rightly so, ego.. even if not projected.. is what the competitive spirit is made of. But tell them that the beginning of the season there are few prime matchups and if we delay their first start until the conference season really begins, and its a decent TV game and big home crowd.. it will make a bigger impact for them. And they can play more minutes off the bench and with less pressure to get acclimated to the college game until then.

mandalorian-this-is-the-way.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT