ADVERTISEMENT

Lineup projections/predictions

Aug 14, 2010
Just figure would start a new thread for this years lineup.....some of the insiders can comment.

125-Shawver/Peterson. Think Shawver will be the starter, but I am hoping Peterson wins the spot. Not because I do not like Shawver but think Dylan is a 14-25th ranked wrestler and if Dean can out perform him that bodes well for RU at 125.

133-Heilman-solid transfer blood round potential. Olivieri to move up and redshirt. Silva not enrolled, not on roster and no longer listed on wrestlestat. Have a feeling grades/transcripts etc. or he just did not want to be a college student any longer.

141-Alvarez-As most of you who read my posts, I have wanted Sammy up at 141/149 for two seasons. I think he has a big year at 141. Intermat has Sammy at 15th but think that is way too low. He AA's this season.

149-White-had a very good redshirt year and all the early reports is the kid is a worker and has improved over last year. Always a big step up from redshirt competition to a starter, but think he will have solid season.

157-Clark-down a weight which will help him size and strength wise. Hoping Clark has solid season. Hearing he has a few legs up on Kannaird.

165-O'Neill-another guy down a weight class-another guy I was very high on coming out of HS....has not shown me what I thought he could be....at 165 does he turn the corner? Hope so, talent is there.

174-Turley-has to stay healthy. Intermat has him 23rd...174 is a very deep weight class. Turley can pin, outscore alot of guys, also gets in trouble sometimes, but that is what makes him exciting to watch. If he stays healthy all year, could go on run in a deep weight.

184-Soldano-just reading the tea leaves makes me think Soldano will go this year and Poz will redshirt. Soldano the crown jewel of this frosh class is super fun to watch and will be a crowd favorite.

197-Janzer-think he goes 197 even though we have been told in the past he cannot keep the weight on to be a full sized 197. IIntermat 27th ranked at 197. Just think this is his best weight to get into the lineup. Colucci dropping to 197, Epperly at 197 and frosh PJ Casale. Think Casale will take advantage of the new rule and go 5 dates to see how he handles 197.

HWT-Boone is the guy here. Put on weight, hope he can keep it on and gets his conditioning in order.

Looking forward to another season!

I agree with all of that but I think Shawver is the guy at 125. Need Peterson to show he can stay healthy and get on the mat before I predict his status as a starter. He didnt wrestle his senior year of high school and barely wrestled last year.

I agree with all of that but I think Shawver is the guy at 125. Need Peterson to show he can stay healthy and get on the mat before I predict his status as a starter. He didnt wrestle his senior year of high school and barely wrestled last year.
Have those two ever wrestled?? Everyone seems sure Shawver is going to win for some reason… Peterson was #10 p4p recruit going into college.. that’s higher then P. Glory coming out of hs…

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Peterson hasn’t been on the mat enough to seriously wrestle. There’s no doubt it my mind Shawver is better. Than can change over time, Peterson is definitely talented, but I’d be surprised if Peterson was the starter when the season started.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Peterson hasn’t been on the mat enough to seriously wrestle. There’s no doubt it my mind Shawver is better. Than can change over time, Peterson is definitely talented, but I’d be surprised if Peterson was the starter when the season started.
Has he been injured here and missed a ton of time? Anyone know how they do against each other in practice?

I remember in a recent interview coach referenced not all wrestlers spending as much time at the facility as they would have liked and said something about being highly rated coming in. I got the impression he was referencing DP not showing/putting in what others were. But that was just my guess.

I remember in a recent interview coach referenced not all wrestlers spending as much time at the facility as they would have liked and said something about being highly rated coming in. I got the impression he was referencing DP not showing/putting in what others were. But that was just my guess.
IF that is the case, it sounds like an Aragona story. I presume Peterson is getting scholarship money. Again, if your understanding is correct, he should be sat down and told what is expected of him - then make sure it happens. Wasn't done with Aragona. That scholarship money is scarce and being spent for a reason.

Has he been injured here and missed a ton of time? Anyone know how they do against each other in practice?
I don’t have any crazy insight or anything but he’s been at Rutgers a full year and wrestled 3 matches in redshirt. As a comparison, Anthony White wrestled 25.

I’m decently well connected with the Shore Conference and one term that has always been thrown around with Peterson is “diva.” I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but like I said earlier today, until he shows me he’s healthy and willing to put the work in to being on the mat, I’m not penciling him in the lineup.

IF that is the case, it sounds like an Aragona story. I presume Peterson is getting scholarship money. Again, if your understanding is correct, he should be sat down and told what is expected of him - then make sure it happens. Wasn't done with Aragona. That scholarship money is scarce and being spent for a reason.
🤦 It's beyond comical that you think our coaches didn't have the expectations conversations with Aragona and every other team member. 🧌

125: Shawver/Peterson - Shawver has definitely been steadily improving since he's been here so hopefully he can keep it up and make that jump to the next level. He needs to continue being aggressive and not sitting back, as that's when he typically got into trouble. Would like to see Peterson really push him and come for his starting spot. If that happens, regardless who steps out on the mat they will be a real contender.

133: Heilmann/Raimo - I feel that Heilmann is the likely starter but would love to see what Raimo could do. Again, this could be another good iron sharpens iron situation if Raimo is back to form.

141: Alvarez - Not much to stay here, but this is a big year for Sammy. He needs to be focused, keep his weight in-check, and just go wrestle. He could definitely AA if he stays focused. I'm assuming he's at 141 for this year only before bumping up to 149 when Oliveri comes out of RS next year.

149: White- Will definitely be interesting to see what White can do this year. Had a great year last year in RS and took 3 losses last year plus a quick fall in his first ever match (I don't recall what happened but it was only 39 seconds long so I'm assuming he got caught) but the other losses were by 2 points to R12 & R16 guys plus another top RS.

157: Clark/Kanniard - Hopefully being down at 157 will help Clark generate some more offense and get back to dominating on top like he did in HS. Not sure where Kanniard goes from here as he really hasn't progressed over the past few years but I expect Clark to be the guy here.

165: O'Neill - Again hopefully being down a weight lets him get on his offense more often and not just being stuck countering & fighting off shots all match. Depending on what happen with Clark\Kanniard, maybe we see one of them bump up and compete here as well.

174: Turley - Agreed that Turley needs to stay healthy. Its the only way it allows O'Neill and Clark to stay down at more ideal weights. If he can't, we are going to be in serious trouble once again because we'll have to shuffle people around into less ideal situations as I don't think Freeman is ready to step in long term/over a season.

184-Soldano/Poz- I also agree with Poz taking a RS this year. Obviously very excited to see what Soldano can do.

197: Janzer/Colucci/Toranzo - Janzer clearly has the talent and he's proven that at 184 but will be interested in seeing if he able to get up to a good weight to be competitive/not overpowered especially coming off a surgery. Hopefully Casale can RS

HWT: McDermott - Hopefully Boone was able to put on some additional weight/muscle which will certainly help him be a more competitive with some of the big boys in the B1G

Peterson came to practice every week. He didn't make every practice but he was there every week.

IF that is the case, it sounds like an Aragona story. I presume Peterson is getting scholarship money. Again, if your understanding is correct, he should be sat down and told what is expected of him - then make sure it happens. Wasn't done with Aragona. That scholarship money is scarce and being spent for a reaso
I hope Boone can do something once B1G season starts. I'm tired of lackluster heavyweights since Billy the Kid graduated.
Boone looks good 260lbs. I think we will see a different Boone this year.

I don’t have any crazy insight or anything but he’s been at Rutgers a full year and wrestled 3 matches in redshirt. As a comparison, Anthony White wrestled 25.

I’m decently well connected with the Shore Conference and one term that has always been thrown around with Peterson is “diva.” I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but like I said earlier today, until he shows me he’s healthy and willing to put the work in to being on the mat, I’m not penciling him in the lineup.
Peterson had some injuries and health problems that prevented him from wrestling in open tournaments. Peterson looks ready to challenge for the spot this year. It won't be easy because Shawver is dialed in.
Next month Shawver and Alvarez will represent PR in the Worlds U23.

Boone looks good 260lbs. I think we will see a different Boone this year.
What did he weigh last year? I don’t think size was a problem. He was typically giving up weight in every match but the dude is strong as a Bull and can lift anyone. Needs his cardio to improve.

Peterson had some injuries and health problems that prevented him from wrestling in open tournaments. Peterson looks ready to challenge for the spot this year. It won't be easy because Shawver is dialed in.
Next month Shawver and Alvarez will represent PR in the Worlds U23.
I always thought Peterson should go 133. Wonder if he gets there eventually. After his sophomore year of high school he said he planned on bulking up and wrestling 132 or 138, somehow he ended up staying at 120. Not sure where the change of heart came from but he definitely has a frame where he can add weight if he chooses. A couple more pounds might reduce the amount of injuries as well.

Reactions: Leonard23
What did he weigh last year? I don’t think size was a problem. He was typically giving up weight in every match but the dude is strong as a Bull and can lift anyone. Needs his cardio to improve.
I thought I heard coach say he weighed in at the Big10's in the 230's(238 sticking in my head).

Hopefully. There were concerns about his stamina at 230, I can’t imagine it will be better at 260.
Keep in mind that it's also exhausting wrestling someone who has 30-50 lbs on you so that certainly impacted his stamina.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Hopefully. There were concerns about his stamina at 230, I can’t imagine it will be better at 260.
I'd imagine being bigger means they will wear him down less? We will see what the added weight has done, hopefully a big positive!

He has shown he could actually wrestle unlike a lot of heavyweights (outside the big ten), just would have a hard time finishing.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Keep in mind that it's also exhausting wrestling someone who has 30-50 lbs on you so that certainly impacted his stamina.
Yes, but I can say from experience that added weight is a big energy drain. I've seen posters here question the quality of weight in the past, which is very important for any wrestler. In the beach video, there was a big guy with quite a spare tire; was that Boone?

Latest Flo preaseason ranks:

Shawver- 17
Heilmann- 14
Alvarez- 19
White- HM
Turley- HM
Poz- 9
Janzer- HM
Boone- HM
Team- 37

Reactions: Peteras9144
Latest Flo preaseason ranks:

Shawver- 17
Heilmann- 14
Alvarez- 19
White- HM
Turley- HM
Poz- 9
Janzer- HM
Boone- HM
Team- 37

There is no way the team is #37 nationally.

Ikr.. it’s only based on projected ncaa points scored unfortunately.. which for us is 4.5 rn (according to flo)
😬🤷🏻‍♂️ That's rough but we have a lot of unproven guys right now. We could bomb like they have us ranked or we could do as well as 3-5 AAs. Let's hope for the latter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT