ADVERTISEMENT

Lipari in the transfer portal

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
Guess he decided against sticking around..best of luck to him.

Guess he decided against sticking around..best of luck to him.

Sad news as I wish Aragona Red shirted but JoJo will be the face of the program in the future. I’m sure everyone will continue to wish Lipari well wherever he ends up.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Why didn’t he try wrestling off for 149.. meh.. sucks paetzel and mackall left too as either coulda been at 125... meh

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This is the harsh side of college athletics. This kid worked his ass of for a shot at having the starting job his senior season... only to watch that get ripped away by a freshman phenom. It sad, but that is the price of big time athletics, and a rapidly improving program.

I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he gets to live his dream this year. He has earned it.

I was hoping he would try and make the jump to 149 to compete for the spot..best wishes to you Pete. On the flip, full steam ahead with Aragona.

Pete has my good wishes. I believe he gave it his all. Just could beat Jo Jo. Wrestling is a tough sport as there is only one guy at each weight. Wish he would have given 149 a try as its a weight where we need help. Hope he finds a starting role at his new school.

This is the harsh side of college athletics. This kid worked his ass of for a shot at having the starting job his senior season... only to watch that get ripped away by a freshman phenom. It sad, but that is the price of big time athletics, and a rapidly improving program.

I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he gets to live his dream this year. He has earned it.

I don't think he received a full opportunity to earn that spot back.It was quite obvious after losing the first wrestle off there was no chance of him earning the spot back via open tournaments etc.Coaches could not afford to have a NO 1 wrestler at high school with all the hype following him sitting on the bench.Once the decision was made by Aragona he wants to start right away.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I don't think he received a full opportunity to earn that spot back.It was quite obvious after losing the first wrestle off there was no chance of him earning the spot back via open tournaments etc.Coaches could not afford to have a NO 1 wrestler at high school with all the hype following him sitting on the bench.Once the decision was made by Aragona he wants to start right away.
If Lipari won his wrestle off he would have started.. and Jojo prolly ends up RS..

If Lipari won his wrestle off he would have started.. and Jojo prolly ends up RS..

Not necessarily. Goodale explained beforehand that wrestle offs are only a piece of the puzzle. I think he’s been very fair to this point getting all of the guys some experience. Lipari likely didn’t wrestle the quad because he was mulling over his options and a Goodale wanted to keep open the possibility of his transfer.

I hope Lipari stays in D1 and qualifies for nationals again whether it’s this year or next year.

I would love to see Lipari somehow end his story on that Podium.
I don't. I'd be pissed that we didn't keep him. In a season when we're probably not going to see an AA unless Suriano comes back. Losing one to another team would piss me off beyond belief.

I don't. I'd be pissed that we didn't keep him. In a season when we're probably not going to see an AA unless Suriano comes back. Losing one to another team would piss me off beyond belief.

Unfortunately this is the reality now and I truly hope he gets on that podium.Coaches do what is best for the team.Wrestlers do what is best for themselves.Ultimately this is an individual sport with all of the wrestlers having individual goals of success.

I disagree. Rutgers wrestling room is worse off with pete leaving. I root for Rutgers 1st and the kids 2nd. if we are going to be a major program we need to have a deep and skilled wrestling room , which means some kids do not get to wear an R singlet. where is the pride in being an integral part of a team? and helping your brother. jojo's development would be better if he battled pete all season the team would be better
I am not picking on pete I am picking on the societal change where the individual is more important then the team

I disagree. Rutgers wrestling room is worse off with pete leaving. I root for Rutgers 1st and the kids 2nd. if we are going to be a major program we need to have a deep and skilled wrestling room , which means some kids do not get to wear an R singlet. where is the pride in being an integral part of a team? and helping your brother. jojo's development would be better if he battled pete all season the team would be better
I am not picking on pete I am picking on the societal change where the individual is more important then the team

Of course the room is worse off but this happens everywhere these days. Coaches are planning on it as AA's & NCs are leaving programs constantly, trying to put themselves in the best position to maximize their remaining time and set themselves up for the future. You can't blame someone for trying to put themselves in the best possible position to succeed. It's the nature of the beast these days given how the NCAA rules on transfers and whatnot.

I hear you, but lets call that out as selfish, since many of these kids got better practicing against kids that wanted to start but were unable to seat the kid ahead of them or in this case a kid that just arrived. it may happen all over, but in my opinion it is not right and it is not what it used to be. in my time you wanted to start you win the job, if you could not win the job then you worked your arse off to help your brother ahead of you get better and you took pride in the success of the weight class and the team.

Reactions: ruready07
Would you still be pissed if our kid was on the podium with him?
Nope not at all especially if our guy finishes higher. I get the reason he transferred and understand it as it's his last shot at NCAA's. Have no problem with that.

Hell he makes it to NCAA's and is wrestling an opponent in front of us in the team standings sure, I'm damn well going to root for him. Now if he's wrestling for a team in front of us in the team standings you can damn well bet I'll hope he loses if we have a chance to catch them.

Ultimately this is an individual sport with all of the wrestlers having individual goals of success.
I'm not some newbie here, I do know what this sport consists of. Having competeted in it for many years and watched for many more, since the 3rd grade. I believe that experience has given me a fairly good understanding of the sport.

Then put yourself in Pete’s shoes. What would you do.
This is D1 Big 10 hi level wrestling not club wrestling

I would try to bulk up and wrestle at 149
Pretty unrealistic. I don't blame Lipari for transferring his last year of eligibility to try to make a run at NCAAs at 141 with all of the Olympic redshirts. Now the pressure is really on the staff and Aragona to AA this year, as just making the NCAA tourney won't be viewed as enough by such a highly rated recruit when he could've redshirted, like Ashnault, and improved his chances to be a 4x AA. Hope he AAs as the bar has been raised now. I would've taken the redshirt. Hope I'm wrong.

I don’t think Peter could be effective at 149 as he would be at 141. He never cut that much to make it like MVB did. I would have done the same thing he did and transfer. The young man is a gamer and wants to compete. You are right that with all of the Olympic redshirts this is the year to go for it

Lipari was 13-14 last year and his best win was against Limmex Purdue who is at 149 now.Lipari was a qualifier last year just not sure where the AA talk is coming from 141 is rather deep this year.

Lipari was 13-14 last year and his best win was against Limmex Purdue who is at 149 now.Lipari was a qualifier last year just not sure where the AA talk is coming from 141 is rather deep this year.

I don’t think anyone expects Lipari to AA but many of us hope he does.

For what it’s worth, I doubt Aragona can AA this year as well. He was pretty outmatched by Red who is probably towards the bottom of AA status.

Also I disagree about 141 being deep. I personally think it’s one of the weaker weight classes this year with Yianni and Eirmann both red shirting

Also I disagree about 141 being deep. I personally think it’s one of the weaker weight classes this year with Yianni and Eirmann both red shirting[/QUOTE]

Yes, missing those two but 141 is still very deep. I guess it depends on how you rank weight classes. 141 has no clear cut winner but has a lot of depth. Cole Matthews is a hammer(just ranked low because he is a frosh). 141 is much better than a few weight classes. 157 has Hidlay but is not deep at all. 133 has Gross, but not deep. Same with 174, Hall and if Kutler can stay healthy, but big drop off after that.

I don’t think anyone expects Lipari to AA but many of us hope he does.

For what it’s worth, I doubt Aragona can AA this year as well. He was pretty outmatched by Red who is probably towards the bottom of AA status.

Also I disagree about 141 being deep. I personally think it’s one of the weaker weight classes this year with Yianni and Eirmann both red shirting
141 is still deep has 9AA in the weight
1 Pletcher AA
2 Demas AA
3 Nick Lee AA
4 McKee AA
5 Leeth AA
6 Schoop AA
7 Red AA
8 Wilson AA
9 Murin/Desanto
10 Gfeller
11 Moran
12 Real Woods
13 SeDerian Perry AA
14 Parker
15 Matthews

11 Findlay
12 Parriott
13 Cole Martin
14 Rohlfing
15 Yaya Thomas

11 Hildabrandt
12 Schroder
13 Colaiocco
14 Townsell
15 Cefolo

141 might be one of the deepest weights

Last edited:
I have gotten to know Peter very well since he has been here as well as his dad. You all may remember during the Suriano transfer debate I made a stupid, flippant comment about who will give Suriano a good workout, Lipari? I realized how dumb of me to demean Peter that way but I could not take it back and they were good friends to boot. I sought out both Peter and dad at the RU tailgate for wrestling that Saturday and apologized for my stupidity. He was gracious and he will always have a special place in my heart regardless of his future destination

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I have gotten to know Peter very well since he has been here as well as his dad. You all may remember during the Suriano transfer debate I made a stupid, flippant comment about who will give Suriano a good workout, Lipari? I realized how dumb of me to demean Peter that way but I could not take it back and they were good friends to boot. I sought out both Peter and dad at the RU tailgate for wrestling that Saturday and apologized for my stupidity. He was gracious and he will always have a special place in my heart regardless of his future destination
Pete is a grinder no doubt kid is a hard worker and hope he gets a shot to wrestle 141 this year.He should look at Sacred Heart close to home wouldve NJ state champ Nick Palumbo as a workout partner.Jeff Prescott is also on staff now

I hear you, but lets call that out as selfish, since many of these kids got better practicing against kids that wanted to start but were unable to seat the kid ahead of them or in this case a kid that just arrived. it may happen all over, but in my opinion it is not right and it is not what it used to be. in my time you wanted to start you win the job, if you could not win the job then you worked your arse off to help your brother ahead of you get better and you took pride in the success of the weight class and the team.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard ..a kid who was a national qualifier should stay to just be a practice guy to help the starter ...we have coaches for that ...our guys still have good partners ..to single out Pete for doing what’s best for himself is a joke ..could he qualify at 149 for us ..I have no idea ..will he at 141 for someone else ....who knows ...but it’s his choice not yours ...and I sincerely doubt the team or the coaches blame him nor do they hold it against him so why should you ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT