ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Sacred Heart

Paul had a good freshman year. I like Paul.

I do think Mathis Geo and Young are our best 3 guards and best combo. And I think Paul/young is our least desirable combo but tonight Pike had little choice. But that’s nothing against the players themselves.
I honestly think there is not enough ball for Geo Mathis and Young.. and Harper.. together.. I guess Geo's injury might settle that for awhile. We'll see. But Young's numbers did not look good starting with Mathis and Geo, Harper and Omoruyi.. yet you single out Mulcahy as being an issue for Young. I'm sorry.. PM looks to pass first.. if you cannot work with that.. it's your problem, not Mulcahy's.. not that I am saying Young has an issue with Mulcahy.. but that is what you suggested.

I think the guards will take turns having big nights like Mathis' tonight.

BTW.. watching replay.. PM's TO was a foul.. his arm was ripped off the ball. Did keep the ball tooo long before that... but still.. not a bad TO.

Last edited:
I honestly think there is not enough ball for Geo Mathis and Young.. and Harper.. together.. I guess Geo's injury might settle that for awhile. We'll see. But Young's numbers did not look good starting with Mathis and Geo, Harper and Omoruyi.. yet you single out Mulcahy as being an issue for Young. I'm sorry.. PM looks to pass first.. if you cannot work with that.. it's your problem, not Mulcahy's.. not that I am saying Young has an issue with Mulcahy.. but that is what you suggested.

BTW.. watching replay.. PM's TO was a foul.. his arm was ripped off the ball. Did keep the ball tooo long before that... but still.. not a bad TO.

Do you deny Young doesn’t play well with Paul? Again I’m not speaking AGAINST Paul. I’m speaking to the effectiveness of the pairing. I’m saying Young does not pair well with Paul. I think that that’s exactly what you’re saying too.

Young played his best ball paired with Geo and Mathis last year down the stretch so I can’t say I understand what you’re saying there. The reason it works so well is Mathis doesn’t need the ball. He’s the best off ball guard both ends. Mathis gets better as every day goes by.

Again I’ve not singled out Paul for being a bad player. I’m only saying that I don’t think Paul and Young fit together (nor did Pike all last year).

If you think Paul should play over Young that’s another discussion entirely though I would still favor Young.

We're talking about the game, how is that nutty?
Because it is a scrub team. The talent level is much higher on RU than SH. This is a scrimmage game to get rust off and get back into a flow. You take the W and move onto Friday night

Because it is a scrub team. The talent level is much higher on RU than SH. This is a scrimmage game to get rust off and get back into a flow. You take the W and move onto Friday night
So we can't talk about the game? Now, THAT'S nutty. Relax.

Reactions: MV9000
no and it would have been a Tuesday game, they never schedule Thankgiving Eve

not sure what the attendance was but Rutgers lost at home to Lehigh in 2008 the night before Thanksgiving. I remember because we went to NYC to see Macy’s balloons inflation instead of going to game and had to follow the debacle from ESPN gamecast from phone. Ahh the good old days, not much is worse than having to hit refresh 100 time on your phone during last minutes of a close Basketball game.

Do you deny Young doesn’t play well with Paul?
I don't think it is a case of "playing well with".

Young is a one on one guy.. a press and transition game guy. In the half-court sets.. no matter who is on the floor with him.. he is not at his best. Mulcahy is at home in half-court sets... while we also see him doing long alley-oops in transition. Mulcahy had some nice passes to other guards this game.. including Young. When Mulcahy is playing point.. Young needs to learn to move.. and not wait for the ball at the top of the key to have a side cleared for him to take on 2 guys (which he does pretty well).

Young and Mathis are great together when we pressure the ball.. and great breaking on a turnover. Do I want Mulcahy out there when we press the ball? Hmmm... not up with the guards.. but maybe at centercourt playing a zone... though, really.. that is a Harper thing imho. Maybe PM can defend the in-bounds pass... I think that is what you are remembering about Young... how dynamite he was with Mathis pressuring the ball in games we needed a comeback. It has nothing to do with how Young was in half-court sets last year... nor who was on the court with him. If you recall.. Young has some pretty big baskets where he took the ball out past the arc and called for a side to be cleared... that is not "working well" with anybody... but it is very valuable in spots. Geo does the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and zebnatto
Well, if you consider a double double with 6-6 shooting and 11 boards for a first ever college game as poor then you’ll be disappointed...
Cliff will rebound and play great defense but he will disappear on offense in games.
His offense will develop it will take time.

I don't think it is a case of "playing well with".

Young is a one on one guy.. a press and transition game guy. In the half-court sets.. no matter who is on the floor with him.. he is not at his best. Mulcahy is at home in half-court sets... while we also see him doing long alley-oops in transition. Mulcahy had some nice passes to other guards this game.. including Young. When Mulcahy is playing point.. Young needs to learn to move.. and not wait for the ball at the top of the key to have a side cleared for him to take on 2 guys (which he does pretty well).

Young and Mathis are great together when we pressure the ball.. and great breaking on a turnover. Do I want Mulcahy out there when we press the ball? Hmmm... not up with the guards.. but maybe at centercourt playing a zone... though, really.. that is a Harper thing imho. Maybe PM can defend the in-bounds pass... I think that is what you are remembering about Young... how dynamite he was with Mathis pressuring the ball in games we needed a comeback. It has nothing to do with how Young was in half-court sets last year... nor who was on the court with him. If you recall.. Young has some pretty big baskets where he took the ball out past the arc and called for a side to be cleared... that is not "working well" with anybody... but it is very valuable in spots. Geo does the same.

Well said. Also, Mulcahy and MJ love to play the high low game and do it very well. Like you said if Young and the others in the game move without the ball they will get a lot of easy baskets.

We all love Geo but this team is missing one go to scorer. One guy who can put up 15 every single night and some nights go for 25. We don’t have that guy.
Harper should be that player but it requires making some 3 pointers.

Cliff will rebound and play great defense but he will disappear on offense in games.
His offense will develop it will take time.
Cliff just needs to dunk. Lobs. Put backs. Dunk dunk dunk. He doesn't need to develop any offensive game really in order to be able to score some points. Any offense he does develop is gravy but as a freshman he is a dunker and that's OK.

Well said. Also, Mulcahy and MJ love to play the high low game and do it very well. Like you said if Young and the others in the game move without the ball they will get a lot of easy baskets.
Mulcahy and Myles showed great chemistry working the two man game. Love when Paul gets the ball in the high post against a zone and think he will be even better from there this season as he is showing more willingness to be a scoring threat as well

Reactions: RUDead

Good observation- Mulcahy and Myles work really well together.

Reactions: RUDead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT