ADVERTISEMENT

Football LIVE Game Thread: Rutgers versus Illinois

Mind-blowing call on the Vedral throw who had interceptions on 2 of his last 3 down field passes. Mind blowing. Ash-level dumb right there. What the actual heck. Put Gleeson up in the booth so he can see this for himself
we do not know if the WR did the correct thing there.. sit down or curl in... BUT.. the throw was late either way.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This is the worst we have played all season.

At times I was reminded of last year's team.

It is not over yet but I don't like this at all.
the trend of penalties and sloppy play over last few weeks caught up with team. They are not talented enough to overcome those against anyone in the B1G.

Reactions: Caliknight
An 0 and 3 team comes into Rutgers with their 4th QB in 4 games who has limited arm and runs all over the D. Rutgers play calling blows the mind. QB makes poor decision after poor decision. No change..in fact game on the line Lets give him another chance to F up. Left points on the field 1st half. Poor clock and time out management cost us a FG chance.

This was 2005 again. Tell what did Greg learn about in game coaching as claimed ?

Yes, I am sure he will recruit better. But his game crap looks the same to me.

Sadly, he didn’t learn a lot. This became very clear today. I thought he did. I was wrong.

Reactions: rurichdog
Winless Illinois rushes thru RU like a knife through Butter.
We suck less but still suck.
Need to recruit for upgrades in the Secondary, OL, WR. It will take a couple of years towards respectability.

No hate. He is what he is. A very good organizer. A very good recruiter. He usually gets the kids to try hard.

He’s never been a great tactician. He’s never been one to make in game changes that change the course of the game. You’d hope he would have learned those things. I’m starting to believe you simply can’t. Schiano worked for Meyer but he can’t grab his magic. Just doesn’t work that way.

Will we be better? Yes. Will recruit better? Yes. Will we lose games we shouldn’t under Schiano because of his inability to manage in game? Yes.

We just saw it.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
We aren’t there but when a coach whose number 1 goal is to stop the run and gets 350 rang up on him by the winless Illinois, there are serious questions that need to be asked. This wasn’t Alabama.

No hate. He is what he is. A very good organizer. A very good recruiter. He usually gets the kids to try hard.

He’s never been a great tactician. He’s never been one to make in game changes that change the course of the game. You’d hope he would have learned those things. I’m starting to believe you simply can’t. Schiano worked for Meyer but he can’t grab his magic. Just doesn’t work that way.

Will we be better? Yes. Will recruit better? Yes. Will we lose games we shouldn’t under Schiano because of his inability to manage in game? Yes.

We just saw it.
"we just saw it" yes and Tampa Bay saw it and Ohio St. saw it, New Hampshire saw it.

The GS haters have been waiting for this... he has made them look foolish up to this point. Expect more and more hate.
I don't hate Greg. I really like him. I don't like his stubborn approach or his in game decision making.
Yeah he's delegated more but at some point he needed to tell Gleeson to get it together and get off the sidelines.

Lovie played his 4th QB in an effort to win. Greg wouldnt even give his other 2 experienced guys a series. And took 1 of his top 2 offensive weapons..Pachecko(sp) out of the critical plays. Who does that?

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I don't hate Greg. I really like him. I don't like his stubborn approach or his in game decision making.
Yeah he's delegated more but at some point he needed to tell Gleeson to get it together and get off the sidelines.

Lovie played his 4th QB in an effort to win. Greg wouldnt even give his other 2 experienced guys a series. And took 1 of his top 2 offensive weapons..Pachecko(sp) out of the critical plays. Who does that?
what made you think I was talking about you?

It got my attention but on replay it wasn't obvious enough to call. At least when playing Rutgers.
Fair point it wasn't blatantly obvious from that replay angle but it did show the WR's hand/arm definitely made contact and had leverage for a push off. Can't blame blowing this game on that play of course anyway. Loss today = #ClownShowCoaching

An Illini team that had given up 117 points in their 1st three games and this is the game planning that our OC prepares ?
I get the gimmicks when over matched..I.e. OSU...
But a more traditional was working against Illinois. Every time we had gains, mo, field position he pulled the rug out.
That was a failure for my 43 year record book..which has way too many pages.​
Ok. Done with the rant.​

No, you didn't think he learned a lot. You never wanted him back. But yeah, he didn't learn much.
I’m sure he learned a lot of administrative things. But in game is different. He’s never been a great tactician. Ever. He’s still not. He just got 350 yards rung up on him. On the ground. By Illinois.

You can slice it anyway you want. That’s unacceptable.

Fair point it wasn't blatantly obvious from that replay angle but it did show the WR's hand/arm definitely made contact and had leverage for a push off. Can't blame blowing this game on that play of course anyway. Loss today = #ClownShowCoaching

Sure.

Disagree on the coaching though. We have no talent. Lombardi couldn't win with these players.

This season doesn't count anyway just beat Michigan next week before the whole deal gets shut down the week of thansgiving

Refs should have called that. Looked obvious. You don't get THAT open in that situation. And it wouldn't have decided the game. They'd get that play over.

Difference in the game to me was not using Vedral's legs and/or not replacing him for the 2nd half.. or even for that final possession. Sitkowski had a nice 2-minute drill at OSU. Would seem obvious to me you could go to a similar script and change it up for the Illinois D.

I’m sure he learned a lot of administrative things. But in game is different. He’s never been a great tactician. Ever. He’s still not. He just got 350 yards rung up on him. On the ground. By Illinois.

You know what's Ironic about this situation? Greg would never delegate to his OC or DC s in the past.
So he chose to start with Gleason? Gleason reminds me of the coach for the NY Giants who had this
special offense. So they let Tom Coughlin go, and promoted His CO who not only got Tom fired but he
got himself fired too. because he just could not adjust. I forget his name. But the Giants have not been the same since.

Last edited:
Refs should have called that. Looked obvious. You don't get THAT open in that situation. And it wouldn't have decided the game. They'd get that play over.

Difference in the game to me was not using Vedral's legs and/or not replacing him for the 2nd half.. or even for that final possession. Sitkowski had a nice 2-minute drill at OSU. Would seem obvious to me you could go to a similar script and change it up for the Illinois D.
Agree, agree and agree. If the refs called OPI even that half-assed replay would show it was a reasonable call.

SIAP Vedral had no business being on the field in the 2nd half and it was criminal to call his number on a critical passing play especially from the pocket. Maybe you let him roll out but he's a disaster waiting to happen as a drop-back QB. He's a 1-trick pony on the lob throw to Melton. That's it.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

yes.. all those rushing yards are unacceptable. But look at the first half vs the second half.

All their 6 drives including penalties amounted to 153 yards in the 1st half. That's all I could easily find in the play by play

Their 6 drives totaled 307 yards in the 2nd half.

Did our defense forget how to tackle? No. The difference, imho, was that our swarming defense could not swarm because they were being held on every down, all over the field.

I credit Lovie Smith and his coaches for "going there". And to recognize the refs were not interested in calling it. That stopped pursuit.. opened holes.. little help nearby on tackles.. it looked like a different game.. and it was.

What we had to do was to do the same thing. Just have our OL start tackling guys to open holes and see what happens. If they were called.. then the refs would realize they had to call it the other way as well.

We have seen this before in the Big Ten.. whenever we outplayed expectations in the first half. The other team comes out and does anything it needs to do to run the ball in the Big Ten. And it will happen again. Let's say Michigan... if it's close at the half.. their OL will get reamed out at halftime and will do anything necessary to succeed.. and it will not be called.

AbleTastyHartebeest-max-1mb.gif

yes.. all those rushing yards are unacceptable. But look at the first half vs the second half.

All their 6 drives including penalties amounted to 153 yards in the 1st half. That's all I could easily find in the play by play

Their 6 drives totaled 307 yards in the 2nd half.

Did our defense forget how to tackle? No. The difference, imho, was that our swarming defense could not swarm because they were being held on every down, all over the field.

I credit Lovie Smith and his coaches for "going there". And to recognize the refs were not interested in calling it. That stopped pursuit.. opened holes.. little help nearby on tackles.. it looked like a different game.. and it was.

What we had to do was to do the same thing. Just have our OL start tackling guys to open holes and see what happens. If they were called.. then the refs would realize they had to call it the other way as well.

We have seen this before in the Big Ten.. whenever we outplayed expectations in the first half. The other team comes out and does anything it needs to do to run the ball in the Big Ten. And it will happen again. Let's say Michigan... if it's close at the half.. their OL will get reamed out at halftime and will do anything necessary to succeed.. and it will not be called.

AbleTastyHartebeest-max-1mb.gif
Can you believe there was no flag when they held our LB with two fistfuls of jersey in the middle of the field, in broad daylight, on one huge QB draw play?!😉

We just saw it.
I disagree.

People talk halftime adjustments. But with Schiano.. his "problem" games where this is brought up are generally where we have the lead at the half and halftime "adjustments" are unknowns for the most part.

In games where we were behind at the half, GS has made great adjustments, generally. Like 2006 Louisville. Furthermore, his bowl record is stellar.. he is a good planner.. good tactician.

He has had a few odd moments of time management.. the worst being letting WVU score on the last play of a 1st half because he called a timeout and they realized they did not have to punt and they just threw up a bomb and hit it. That is about as bad as it gets.

But, generally, he is on top of things. Probably leads the nation in all-time official apologies from league officials. And he'll probably get another one for todays time clock issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT